PDA

View Full Version : Material Reviews

Graeth
12-10-2014, 07:32 AM
With these being a new line of printers, I think that its important/useful to record how they handle different materials and makers given that other machines have such information somewhat available. Even create a spreadsheet if we get enough information.

Example being along the lines of:

Material: ABS/PLA/HW
Maker: Flashforge/MB
Color: Black/Red/grey
Density:
Supplier: Amazon.com
Nozzle Temp: 150 C
Bed temp: 100 C
Nozzle Diameter: .3
Resolution: .050
Results: (feelings and pictures if available)

Just a collection of information for future reference.

Broome
12-10-2014, 09:06 AM
Great idea!

I have bought lots of filaments taulmans nylon (3 different), Laywood, abs and pla for testing.

a spread sheet is probably the best way to go, or maybe a wiki of some kind. Unfortunately this is one of my weak points so if someone sets it up. I will be happy to fill it in.

I looked at your categories and they are all very good, additions could be a special feature and a comment field. There are many new filaments coming and some are soluble in water, some have the ability to change color according to heat and so on.

JonatanJacobsson
12-15-2014, 11:06 AM
Great idea! I would really love to see something like a spreadsheet for materials that work well with the RL.
I found a list of reviews on the reprap.org wiki-page:
http://reprap.org/wiki/Printing_Material_Suppliers

Something like that but with a review and list of settings changed for that material would be great!

Would a wiki-page for the Rapide Lite printers be appropriate for this aswell?

sm0orb
12-15-2014, 05:52 PM
@Jonathan That list is more of a supplier list, no use in duplicating it. I would like it to be the other way around. Material then supplier and comments of quality. Think that would be more usefull.

bolsoncerrado
12-15-2014, 06:20 PM
Personal experiences on forum users would be awesome, ie first hand opinions on prices, availability, material, hardware and software used, file printed etc.

I'm trying to set up the wiki system here too, stay tunned.

JonatanJacobsson
12-15-2014, 07:04 PM
@Jonathan That list is more of a supplier list, no use in duplicating it. I would like it to be the other way around. Material then supplier and comments of quality. Think that would be more usefull.

I totally agree with you :)

JonatanJacobsson
12-15-2014, 09:59 PM
Personal experiences on forum users would be awesome, ie first hand opinions on prices, availability, material, hardware and software used, file printed etc.

I'm trying to set up the wiki system here too, stay tunned.

Awesome! Would the possibility to add attachments such as photos and .stl-files as links be of any use?
Maybe something like the "I-made-one"-feature on items at Thingiverse.com? ("I-made-something-using-this-material-this-is-how-it-turned-out") :)

MrFish
12-16-2014, 05:06 AM
Maybe a Google Docs spreadsheet?

Fixx
01-09-2015, 03:46 PM
Anybody tried NinjaFlex or other flex filaments? Can Rapide Lite print these filaments?

Maindog
01-09-2015, 03:57 PM
Got a spool of ninjaflex sitting here ready to test. Will update on progress tomorrow.

Maindog
01-10-2015, 10:42 AM
Ok, I had to take the extruder apart to clear out the residual PLA, at which point I fed the ninjaflex into the extrusion tube. Before reassembling I fired up the hotend to 210°C and was able to punch out some filament pretty cleanly. Unfortunately after putting it back together it seems that the filament tends to bunch up between the feedwheel and the extrusion tube due to it's flexibility. This isn't unexpected, as the ninjaflex people do recommend that the extruder supports the material straight from the exit of the feedwheel.

Shouldn't be too hard to put a longer extrusion tube in, but not something I can do today.

bolsoncerrado
01-10-2015, 11:42 AM
Or may be just unscrew the tensors in the cog wheel?

Fixx
01-27-2015, 09:56 AM
Any news on NinjaFlex, I bought some of it but not able to try it yet. Maybe we can print a part like this:
https://makezineblog.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/aluextruder.jpg

bolsoncerrado
01-27-2015, 11:10 AM
Ninjaflex is extremely....flexible.

I dont think u can print printer parts with it.

Fixx
01-27-2015, 11:40 AM
I think we can print the guider part inside extuder via PLA to guide the flex filaments into the rod.

Graeth
02-01-2015, 05:21 AM
Trying to bump this. If people who have printed could fill out some info on what material they use, it would be great

bolsoncerrado
02-01-2015, 11:22 AM
I got a box of different materials on friday... hope to start testing them this week, starting with Ninjaflex.

Graeth
02-19-2015, 06:29 PM
Any news on the tests?