PDA

View Full Version : Octoprint or Astroprint?

Skinny Kid
02-06-2015, 02:39 PM
Which would you choose or use and why versus the other one? Working to set up Pi and trying to figure out which one to go with.

bolsoncerrado
02-06-2015, 06:54 PM
I do slice with Astroprint, then load the gcode on Octoprint and go.

JonatanJacobsson
02-09-2015, 11:07 AM
Astroprint is the easiest to use and setup- but Octoprint has more functionality built into it and has support for custom controls through the interface.

Skinny Kid
02-09-2015, 02:30 PM
thanks for input guys

Skinny Kid
02-09-2015, 03:27 PM
Quick question. After finishing set up on the pi I need to have my monitor back. Do I power down the pi uninstall monitor and then power pi back on after I ensure it has web enabled access? Just want to make sure I follow steps to avoid any headaches.

bolsoncerrado
02-09-2015, 04:29 PM
you can unplug your (hdmi?) monitor anytime and still access the pi using SSH....

Skinny Kid
02-09-2015, 04:51 PM
So make sure to enable ssh in the menu before uninstalling the monitor, then I can access through web once pi is on my network?

bolsoncerrado
02-10-2015, 07:57 AM
Yes, that's it.

Skinny Kid
02-10-2015, 08:35 AM
Thanks. I posted in the Octoprint thread about connecting. Can you post up your settings that you use bolson (or anyone else)

I think I have them correct. Get an error code trying to connect that says Extruder not on and min temp error but I don't have the extruder connected since it is currently out of commission.

JonatanJacobsson
02-10-2015, 09:10 AM
The only settings you need to be able to connect:
Baud rate: 114200
And the correct USB port.

Other then that you don't need any more settings.

bolsoncerrado
02-10-2015, 10:23 AM
Now that you mention it.... what size does your SD for octopi has?
and how much free space?

JonatanJacobsson
02-10-2015, 10:25 AM
16gig. With some timelapse videos, 10 gig free space left .

Skinny Kid
02-10-2015, 06:13 PM
Posting what shown in log:

Recv: echo: Free Memory: 3810 PlannerBufferBytes: 1232
Recv: echo:Hardcoded Default Settings Loaded
Recv: Error:0
Recv: : Extruder switched off. MINTEMP triggered !
Changing monitoring state from 'Connecting' to 'Error: 0: Extruder switched...'
Recv: Error:Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)
Recv: echo:SD init fail

Once I get fans to fix extruder I can check. Appears I have connection. Which is a good start.

bolsoncerrado
03-06-2015, 10:18 AM
Did you have luck fixing the "Extruder switched off. MINTEMP triggered ! Changing monitoring state from 'Connecting' to 'Error: 0: Extruder switched...'" thing?

bigfella
03-15-2015, 09:04 AM
Octoprint every time. You can add scripts and hotkeys. It is an amazing peace of software. Not to mention my internet has been known to go down and then you are stuffed.

Skinny Kid
03-15-2015, 02:50 PM
Did you have luck fixing the "Extruder switched off. MINTEMP triggered ! Changing monitoring state from 'Connecting' to 'Error: 0: Extruder switched...'" thing?

I have not Bolson. I am trying to figure out what to do with this machine. Piece of me want to figure out how to rebuild it with new board, E3d hotend or multiple headed xtruder, etc but I know I will need help since some areas are beyond my skill set.

Another piece of me feels like I should sell this machine. I have received a brand new extruder that I ordered but I also invested in a different machine. (that machine has run very well and has a fraction of the headaches the rapide has given me)

So my rapide is currently in limbo.....

bolsoncerrado
03-15-2015, 06:37 PM
What new machine? I'm just curious.

Skinny Kid
03-16-2015, 03:49 PM
What new machine? I'm just curious. Ultimaker 2....got it about 4 weeks ago and it has print run for 300 hours now. Printed a host of things with some remarkable results. The online forum is a treasure trove especially for those with less experience. Have printed upgrades that have made it even easier to use and will be installing a new heater block that allows quick change of nozzles.

I am torn about getting rid of the rapide since I know it has tremendous potential. If this forum keeps developing as it has, then the rapide will seriously kick ass. Quite a few users here including yourself are shaping the future of the printer. I would love to change the board, hot end, etc and use this machine for bronzefill, copperfill and other specialty filaments.

Example of print from UM2 using Gizmo dorks color changing filament. Above 85 F and its yellow, below that and its green. 768

bolsoncerrado
03-16-2015, 04:02 PM
very nice print! looks like velvet yoda hahahah

did you see the mass mail about the v2 upgrades? hehehe

Skinny Kid
03-16-2015, 05:16 PM
very nice print! looks like velvet yoda hahahah

did you see the mass mail about the v2 upgrades? hehehe you mean about the extended and go versions? lol

bolsoncerrado
03-16-2015, 06:46 PM
Well the kits to upgrade several parts of the 200...

Skinny Kid
03-16-2015, 07:42 PM
Well the kits to upgrade several parts of the 200... Yes I did. The potential for the machine to perform well is there, that's why I haven't tried to sell it yet :cool:

I have no problem with more than one 3d printer in my house......;)

bolsoncerrado
03-16-2015, 08:59 PM
So you're getting any?

Skinny Kid
03-17-2015, 01:03 PM
So you're getting any? I am in the hurry up and wait mode. All the upgrades from rapide seem excellent but I also thought the original machine was going to be easy....lmfao.

Down the road I may invest but I am going to see how good the products are rather than have a few more hundred dollar paperweights sitting around for now. Rapide has an excellent marketing program which sucked me in, but having gone through this experience I know its prudent to wait.