PDA

View Full Version : New to the 3D world

Holgamods
11-20-2014, 02:50 AM
I'm a quick learner though.
I run a 2013 late model 27" iMac with 32GB Ram
For all of you experienced guys, what software do use.
Designing, slicing and printing?

sm0orb
11-21-2014, 06:17 PM
Hi
Also new at this.
I downloaded SketchUp, Blender and OpenSCAD. Will check them out a bit.
Using PC with Win7.

bolsoncerrado
11-27-2014, 10:32 PM
Im also new and to date i've only downloaded Cura as suggested by Rapide...

I understand Cura does the three things? Or just slicing/printing?

daf
11-28-2014, 11:40 AM
I'll be using kisslicer .....

Skinny Kid
12-08-2014, 03:36 AM
I will be using repetier....all in one powerhouse that has cura and slicer built into it. Rapide let me know that optimum repetier settings will be listed in the manual. I am very excited to use this because it will handle more than .stl files. It can deal with .obj amd.3ds files.

synthius
12-11-2014, 06:02 PM
I will be using repetier....all in one powerhouse that has cura and slicer built into it. Rapide let me know that optimum repetier settings will be listed in the manual. I am very excited to use this because it will handle more than .stl files. It can deal with .obj amd.3ds files.

Have you recieved the ideal software settings to use? I have donloaded repetier as well but not sure about the settings..

Skinny Kid
12-11-2014, 10:06 PM
Have you recieved the ideal software settings to use? I have donloaded repetier as well but not sure about the settings..

Ethan informed me they would be in the manual....which has yet to be released I think.

3DFran
02-15-2015, 01:47 PM
Hi... Just starting with the recently received Rapide200 and figuring out what is the best soft to use. For what I've read, it seems repetier host will be my first attempt. I've a MBP with 8GB Ram and OSX 10.6.8... I'm afraid someone has reported errors with this version of OS and the last version of repetier, but I'll give it a try. Somewhere else (https://github.com/repetier/Repetier-Host-Mac/issues/51) it has been posted this errors and also an special version of repetier that supposedly fixes them...
I'll report when I finish... May the force be with me!

If someone is using Rapide Lite with Mac-OSX 10.6.8 any advice will be welcomed! (I've to admit I've not looked into this forums about it... I'll do next minute!)
Cheers!

bolsoncerrado
02-15-2015, 02:01 PM
I initially thought Repetier was "faulty" with Macs and communication but it seems clear the fault is in every Rapide board... so go ahead and use Repetier, thats what i was using until mine died.

Joao
02-15-2015, 04:59 PM
I had a very inconsistent connection from my Mac to the printer.
1- Repetier connected only the very 1st time I opened it and never again.
2- Cura or Pronterface used to work very well, until something happened that it started to be very very difficult. To have a connection I had to restart computer and printer with a specific order. Not very scientific...

Everything got fixed almost flawlessly using one of these:
- Simplify3D (expensive) www.simplify3d.com
- OctoPrint (free) with the RaspberryPi (cheap) www.octoprint.org

Now that my printer is very stable and printing 24/7, I moved it into the garage (because of the noise) and I'm using only OctoPrint.
I still use Simplify3D for slicing, it's really good.

bolsoncerrado
02-16-2015, 08:40 AM
I was using only Octoprint finally, until the USB thing died...

3DFran
03-05-2015, 12:54 PM
Hi... Just starting with the recently received Rapide200 and figuring out what is the best soft to use. For what I've read, it seems repetier host will be my first attempt. I've a MBP with 8GB Ram and OSX 10.6.8... I'm afraid someone has reported errors with this version of OS and the last version of repetier, but I'll give it a try. Somewhere else (https://github.com/repetier/Repetier-Host-Mac/issues/51) it has been posted this errors and also an special version of repetier that supposedly fixes them...
I'll report when I finish... May the force be with me!

If someone is using Rapide Lite with Mac-OSX 10.6.8 any advice will be welcomed! (I've to admit I've not looked into this forums about it... I'll do next minute!)
Cheers!

Quoting myself to inform.
Repetier for slicing, no problems so far. Generate G-code files and put them on SD to automatically print them on printer boot-up.
PROBLEMS of lost-connection with Repetier when USB printing medium sized models. Apparently it does OK when small models are sent to print.
PENDING: testing other slicing software (Cura...).
Octoprint: What I'm using now. I upload the G-Code files I obtain from Repetier and I've TOTAL control over printing process (most important, responsive pause/resume/cancel, but also X-Y-Z control, video streaming and timelapse recording). Now about 2 days of continuous printing.

Pending: testing Octoprint to control two printers, if possible (didn't look for this on FAQ yet)...

Overall mood about 3D-Printing: my experience with Rapide is very good by the moment. I'm finding out this printer to be very reliable. I'm not pushing it by now, just PLA and low hours of use, but I plan using flexible filament soon, and I have a roll of ABS that is begging to be used...

I'll look for ABS/ninjaflex experience on the forums search... anyway any advice or comment about this will be totally welcomed! :D

bolsoncerrado
03-05-2015, 04:03 PM
Ninjaflex requires an extruder adapter.
Repetier is unreliable with the Rapide board as per USB2Serial firmware issues. This is a chipset flaw.

3DFran
03-05-2015, 05:59 PM
Thanks bolsoncerrado!
Yeah... I'm reading the forums now and I'm learning what you say... I guess the adapter piece to be put in the extruder can be done in PLA?
Next to print after my "gyrocube" ... fuck, it's gonna be a hard task "peeling" this supports!
Cheers!731

bolsoncerrado
03-05-2015, 08:43 PM
Geez!

Did you record a timelapse of the girocube? hehehe

I'd choose ABS to print the adapter bc its less sensitive to heat, just in case the extruder gets "overall hot"... you dont want PLA melting with the motor gears and such hehe

3DFran
03-05-2015, 09:25 PM
Roger the PLA/ABS thing, I was supposing the heat won't come "so high" :-)

Gyrocube-Timelapse: yeah, it is printing right now (6 hours left according to Octopi...) and I will be really surprised if the timelapse goes OK (I've set it up to 10 seconds)... By my limited experience, the file is not directly accesable, or not completely, just after printing has finished. It takes some time to process the final download file... Well, let's see, I'm bitting my nails just to "peel" the print and check if I sent almost 200 cc of PLA to the rubbish can (not to mention the time spent on printing the supports)... I've to find the way to limit this supports.

bolsoncerrado
03-05-2015, 09:35 PM
Dont send it to the rubbish can, save it as it can be recycled ;)

3DFran
03-05-2015, 10:20 PM
You're right, good advice!
... Indeed I'm saving the remainings and the bad pieces as I'm pretty sure I'll end having a personal extruder.
Any idea about open-source projects? I read a bit about some of them, but it was almost a year ago... Another "next thing" to feed google :D

sm0orb
03-05-2015, 10:29 PM
Here is one.

Most is open source but they want to keep some things closed.

http://email.indiegogo.com/wf/click?upn=Ya-2FHTIBcULGv1cJzCEG3iSm8Cy11Z5-2FyqqTQa5dUu7pTSknmJUm09RXZcIabz3mAd5cVrwppCLlLIdw 4ItyDiVwZI0EFfTT5kO1VyEyUzLhfPKeb7ygpfe-2BV2PaagRwM_JVsLsZbioQ7REmR6pE9apt2MD6sQPZp5e5IXVW 7nHaUTpZ-2Fwsqtgo-2Bs2Yh4J7M9-2FnmBXkOFPcmrKn0CdCT4BmLkA6gchlOQdY-2BMMqRHfzsS0UAyNnnBFUe74rjOiXE7zfmDpOpP5CmCC-2FvGVZCSJPrlkpMylGhAf-2BRvyyeayDTeCSJ5Rq8iIEKknQ9ZkXap6QBlFAg5-2FNIqWc3hbMQ2YymBa-2FYKFgUiJQN8tFlh7JOSKv2xblcesfG-2F82oFmF0JKNLGR7yW-2FeGrY0vAsRq5DRQ-3D-3D