PDA

View Full Version : Mark IV Review

AngryPanda
11-23-2015, 06:31 AM
1: Let me start by saying that I was VERY impressed with the Morpheus! IT'S REAL!! I got to meet up with TOW and see the Mark IV fully functional and in action. I will probably jump around as I’m writing this so please bear with me. (I also apologize for the HUGE wall of text that you are about to see.):o

2: Mark IV Construction: (The larger unit posted in TOW's last update) is the unit that all KS backers will receive. And let me tell you, it is beautiful! A very simple, elegant, and clean design. They spared the “frills” and kept it simple. The printing bay is an enclosed but very wide open space and very easy to work in. It has a swing up cover door. With the added vertical space, the unit itself is VERY BIG! The shiny red casing is made of sheeted metal with smooth edges and clean lines. The swing up door cover has nice solid black hinges bolted on along with a nice handle grip used to lift it up. The door has 2 smoked glass window attached. There’s one large window in front for viewing and a smaller one on top for birds eye view. The smoked glass helps filter ambient UV light from entering the build chamber (which would negatively affect curing.) Although you CAN see in, one detriment to the smoked glass is that it does hamper how well you can see inside to watch your build. (But shining my phone’s built in flash light gave me enough detail.) I did speak with them on the design and suggested possibly adding LED’s inside as long as it doesn’t affect curing, or possibly adding a camera inside to view remotely. Another drawback to the large door is that if you are not gentle in lifting it open while running a print job, you run the risk of adding visible shifted layer lines to your print, or worse, knocking your print loose from the build plate. (The latter requires a reprint altogether.) They graciously allowed me to open the door several times while running a print and it didn’t seem to affect the quality of the prints going on (they were printing multiple copies of the “rook” chess piece, however, a few of the bases did seem to detach.. but most were completed. I have to say the quality of the prints that did come out were remarkable!

3: Construction Continued: The build space is enormous. TOW increased the vertical height inside the build space with translates into larger attainable print volumes! The new design also includes a fan baffle on the front (visible in the updated pics) which cuts down the noise level from the dual cooling fans. (SJ Park also let me know that they did not choose your average run-of-the-mill fans. Instead they chose higher quality fans which were very quiet but also very effective. I reached in the back to feel the components inside during a print and it was very cool (even with the UV LED’s blasting.) The only other moving electronics are the dual actuators located on the sides with move the print bed up and down. The design properly has the actuator motors contained inside the walls of the unit which makes them incredibly quiet. Overall I was pleasantly surprised at how quiet the Morpheus operated. The Print Bed itself is made of machined metal. (Galvanized Aluminum is what I was told..or was it Zinc?... I can’t remember.. You’ll find out if you get one…) Decently weighted with drilled holes throughout the platform, it makes for a great print surface. It’s easily cleaned and has a built in handle!
4: Electronics inside: As previous comments and conversations on the KS page stated, Morpheus is designed around “makers” yet capable of much more. The backend is designed with the Arduino & RAMPS combo inside. Many Arduino/RAMPS enthusiasts out there are already aware of how flexible It is, as well as how “uncomplicated” it can be when using basic functions. The Morpheus also has a UV light board, LCD (both HDMI and VGA hookup for those that are curious), and operational power supply. (Details of these are proprietary information and will be available once the units are delivered to each backer, but I promised that I would not publish this info here.) There is plenty of space within the electronics compartment and the design definitely lends itself to makers and tinkerers alike. Plenty of power under the hood and lots of room to grow! And there is plenty of space to keep all of the pieces inside neat and clean as well as leave room for future experimentation and/or expansion. (You mega-nerds out there should be able to read into that…) The unit uses a single AC power chord (computer style) located on the bottom right side (if you are facing the printer.) Also features a cover for the back to keep all the guts in as well, although they had it off for me to observe everything nerdy inside. (PS, DO NOT STARE DIRECTLY AT THE LED BANKS WHILE RUNNING!!! It’s like staring at… well.. the Sun. lol.. I know that should be an obvious statement, but there are those people out there..)
5: Software: The campaign itself states that the Morpheus runs on the Creation Workshop by Envision Labs. If you haven’t had the opportunity to check it out yet, it’s good software but generally geared towards SLA/DLP printers. It requires a little bit of tweaking but works well with the Morpheus. SJ Park (Founder and CMO for Owl Works) explained a little hint of the future to come for all Morpheus owners. Although the KS units will most likely ship with Creation Workshop to start, Owl Works is in the process of developing their own software for the Morpheus.. It is appropriately titled “Trinity”. (You should have picked up on the common thread.. Morpheus.. RED pill… Trinity.. being a Matrix Movie fanboy myself, I appreciate the run.. J SJ said that their software engineers are designing Trinity around how End users would WANT the software to work with the Printer. And it will be written to work specifically with the Morpheus printer. Although it was not available to review at the point of my visit, SJ said that it is expected to be available within the next 6 months.. or so..
6: Print Materials: The campaign stated that the unit has been successfully tested with several different resins that are widely available (Makerjuice G+ for example.. which was tested there at the exhibition.) They (TOW) explained the lengths they have gone through to test the various resins for best prints. SJ also informed me that they are in the process of making their own resin as well!! (These guys are seriously into printing!) The resin container itself is made of a 2 piece metal frame that bolts together to sandwich the print membrane (currently super-secret material that I cannot say here) and gaskets (so it doesn’t leak.) The resin tank is quite large. Being as large as it is has its benefits and its drawbacks.. Benefit, it can hold enough resin for VERY large prints with little need to refill during printing. Drawback, it is a wide reservoir so you have to put ENOUGH resin in it to make even smaller prints.
7: Print Quality: The exhibition display contained the majority of the same types of items shown during the KS campaign, (with a few added prints.) However I have to say that in MY OPINION, the KS campaign did NOT do the print quality of the Morpheus any justice. Although the majority ALL 3D printers will have print lines/marks of some sort on the items that come out of them, the prints that came out of the Morpheus were incredibly clean. Of course you can always go through a post-print clean-up of your prints (as recommended by most professional 3d Print services) but the quality of prints that come out of the Morpheus needed little to no cleanup (other than the normal “bath” to remove excess liquid resin as it came out of the vat. Those who choose to “finish” their prints should be pleasantly surprised by how little they should have to do to get that accomplished. Considering how this machine works, how simple (and pretty fast) it is to make things, and how great the prints come out, The Morpheus truly is a game-changer!
8: Future things: As mentioned above, Things currently in development with Owl Works are: customized software (Trinity), custom Resin, different sized future model printers, and quite possibly upgrades for the Mark IV. (Again I was asked not to say too much, but the possibilities are pretty exciting…)

I hope this review has helped you as much as it did me.. J If you have any questions please post them here! I’ll do my best to answer them!
AP
(I also apologize for any mis-types)

bolsoncerrado
11-23-2015, 09:44 AM
Thanks so much for the very in depth review!!!

It sounds VERY promissing!

You just forgot the nicest part though.... PICS?!?!?!?!? :D

woale
11-23-2015, 10:39 AM
AngryPanda, U DA MAN ;)

maquantz
11-24-2015, 11:30 PM
Thanks!

It is great to receive some definitive news in this project. Cheers and take it easy.

Mac

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

maquantz
12-03-2015, 02:07 AM
No pics?

bolsoncerrado
12-04-2015, 09:54 PM
Yeah and no updates on the campaign either *sigh*

AngryPanda
12-17-2015, 09:01 PM
12291230123112321233123412351236123712381239124012 41124212431244124512461247124812491250
Ladies and Gents,
sorry for the delay. I've been a bit busy. these are the majority of the up-close&personal pix I took of the Mark4. I did the best I could to take as many all around pix so you could see the parts, as well as some of the machine in action (through the looking glass.) Apologies for some of the sideways pix, the website decided it only wanted it that way. ;) There are a few blurry pix there too.. I blame it on solar flares.. :rolleyes:
I hope this helps keep the appetite wet!

bolsoncerrado
12-17-2015, 09:28 PM
You the man!!! ;)

Thanks Panda ;))

Everything looks superb....
Except this! :O :O :O

http://www.print3dforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1239&d=1450381477

Did you ask about it?

Just hope it's a "temporary patch" to a beta unit haha :D

AngryPanda
12-17-2015, 09:50 PM
Howdy All,Here's a sample of pix I took of the actual prints. The quality of pix varied greatly depending on the camera I was using, the angle, and the actual print itself. These were not meant to be professional pix, but merely a variety of (best-I-could-do) close ups to give everyone a better idea of what the prints come out like. I tried to get close ups of curved, flat, Smooth, Matte (no rhyming intended), and textured surfaces for you. I tried to have some things in foreground or background to give you reference as to size where necessary.. (I think my finger is even in one of them..:o)The clean up process for these prints was in all honesty, some of the easiest I've seen. With the exception of "post processing" (like epoxies, lacquers, finishes, sealants, etc..) Of course as with any 3d print,you can always perform light sanding, depending on the desired finish.. .. there was just simple clean up needed for any of the "support" locations.. but considering how clean the prints come out already.., there was not much to it.. You can see how different thicknesses hold up in the light.. How some areas are smooth, some are slick/shiny, and some are slightly stepped (from the LCD pixels..) but again, if you want "complete" diminished surfaces, you can do some "post processing" if you so desire..I guess it just depends on your needs! 12511252125312541255125612571258125912601261126212 631264126512661267Again sorry for all of the landscape pix... that seems to be the only way it loads the pix.. :confused:

AngryPanda
12-17-2015, 09:58 PM
You the man!!! ;)

Thanks Panda ;))

Everything looks superb....
Except this! :O :O :O

Did you ask about it?

Just hope it's a "temporary patch" to a beta unit haha :D

LOL.. I thought the same thing.. that's why I took the pic;).. I did comment on it, but can't remember the response honestly, but it was satisfactory to me (at the time..)

bolsoncerrado
12-17-2015, 10:24 PM
Hmmmm.... Theres quite a lot of banding noticeable in some of those figures.... Thanks again for sharing!

Sounds like there's lots of settings to still play with and may be resins to cure with to get different finishes....

Wdy mean about the post processing technique being simple and different? what was it about?

dunginhawk
12-28-2015, 09:35 PM
just found this board via morpheus website looking for reviews of that printer etc... Very good review... Well thought out.
I hope that the pictures dont do it justice, because im fairly dissapointed in them. There is a LOT of banding. I can nearly get that good of resolution from my FFCP at .1mm (of course a slight exageration).
And this is NOT a plug for the muve3d, but the quality i get from that is considerably better than these pics I think.
That said im still very interested, as I need something with a larger build volume.

Sarkmachine
01-14-2016, 12:47 AM
Hello AngryPanda, I'm hoping you can help...

I missed the Morpheus Kickstarter campaign, and therefore recently contacted Team Owl Works about purchasing a Mark 4 directly from their websight. However, after reading the most recent comments posted by yourself and other KS backers, it appears the units have not yet been shipped, nor has Owl Works shared an updated shipping timeline with their KS backers. I was hoping you might be willing to update this thread (or the KS comments page) when you do finally recieve the unit, so that interested parties such as myself can move forward in confidence with our own direct purchases. Thanks much!

bolsoncerrado
01-14-2016, 09:35 AM
You can definetly expect a flood on pictures and experiences if we ever recieve them lol

maquantz
01-17-2016, 04:53 PM
Has anyone heard from Owl?

AngryPanda
02-03-2016, 12:48 AM
Hello Sarkmachine!
Sorry for the delayed response. I don't check here everyday and didn't see your message until now! If you have not already heard, Owl Works did recently send an update on KS (it was for backers only.. *pasted down below for your reading*) stating they had delays. But at this point they said they have begun the shipping process now starting with their Korean based backers. They have holiday for the next week and they will begin shipping the rest. I"m sure between all of us on here who DID back the project, we'll post up what we can on our own here! Cheers!

We're ready !!0 Comments (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1280877427/morpheus-3d-printer-a-whole-new-3d-printing-experi/posts/1478176#comments)

Liked

3 likes

Hi All,
We’re ready !! We really appreciate all your patience & support on us ! Please enjoy some photos on the Morpheus below.
Here is the schedule (tentative).

30th. Jan. ~ 6th Feb. : Korean Backers will get their Morpheus.
7th Feb. ~ 14th Feb : Lunar New Year’s Holiday (Korea and Asia).
15th Feb ~21st Feb : US Backers will get their Morpheus.
22nd Feb ~ 29th Feb : For All other countries.

While we’re asking you to pay Shipping Cost thru separate email based on the mailing address you notified us.
* NOTE : Currently, we suggest Creation Workshop as a 3D Printing Program and it runs on PC (not available for Mac)
Also, we’ll update some guides for the Morpheus shortly, so…
Please stay tuned !
Thanks again for all your supports !!
TEAM OWL WORKS (now OWL WORKS 3D, LLC)
https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/005/273/356/270207d17491e465dc2b1e95cabd19cd_original.png?v=14 54116555&w=639&fit=max&auto=format&lossless=true&the Morpheus (Mark4) : inner package
https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/005/273/375/a9bb62e85614528ffd5d96b30be45c9b_original.png?v=14 54116707&w=639&fit=max&auto=format&lossless=true&the Morpheus (Mark4) : Final
https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/005/273/393/734382faa162bfefce78d3c4c94f863e_original.png?v=14 54117002&w=639&fit=max&auto=format&lossless=true&Size Comparison : the Morpheus vs. ibox nano

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Mac,

Hopefully you've seen the KS update from TOW. If not, I just posted the update as a response above to Sarkmachine.

Sarkmachine
02-03-2016, 02:52 AM
Great AP! That helps. I'll wait till the 2nd week of February, then contact them again about placing a new order. Much thanks for the update. Sarkmachine

maquantz
02-03-2016, 02:55 AM
Thanks! Following closely. Cheers!

AngryPanda
02-04-2016, 10:28 PM
I just realized I never answered this. Post processing technique was: Take it off of the platform, rinse with clean-up spray bottle.. (IPA & H2O if I recall correctly..)
then let dry. Of course everyone has different recommendations for post print UV curing.. (ie; light-box.. or simply put it in good ol' fashioned sunshine for a bit..)

I noticed that the (green) Rook piece that I posted pix of seemed to have a lot of white marks on it.. (it had JUST come out of the printer..) some of those were scratches from me fondling it.. :cool:, and some was it just needed to cure 100%.. I have the piece on the desk next to me and the white is gone.. errm... except for my scratches.. :eek:

As I mentioned before.. If you have any supports to remove from any print.. you'll still need to take the time/care to remove/clean up where they attach to the print. But that's nothing new to 3d Prints & Supports..

And again, if one wants to have the "smooth & shiny" print, one could also finish with an outside paint/coating if one so desired..lol

Personally, when I get my MarkIV.. I plan on printing a bunch of different textured objects and testing out different finishing methods... (paints.. laquers,... epoxies.. etc..)

I'm also gonna run some "heat gun" tests to try and smooth the surfaces... we'll see how that goes.. (hopefully I dont burn the house down..)

Anyone else have any Ideas? I've scrubbed forums to see all the different finishing techniques that people use and it seems that the common answer is "depends on what you want, and what you'll be using it for.. " etc..

I think I may try different types of paints/coatings too..

AP

bolsoncerrado
02-04-2016, 11:33 PM
What does IPA stand for?

What if you dont postprocess? The piece degrades even if not under UV conditions?

AngryPanda
02-06-2016, 10:33 AM
isopropyl alcohol.

Sorry If I confused anyone. NO, it doesn't degrade.. It actually continues to cure, just takes longer with regular ambient light (depending on conditions..)

bolsoncerrado
02-06-2016, 08:26 PM
Neat! I just expect this forum to be flooded with pics, tips n tricks with the Morpheus once they start to arrive to all of you soon ;)

acnow
02-09-2016, 12:02 PM
@AngryPanda -now that I am buying resin for my Mark iv I wonder how may liters of resin did you use for a normal print and how many will someone need if they are going to use the entire capacity -13 inches?
Did you use different resins and how did you clean the resin container when switching from one to the other? Or do we need to buy multiple resin containers for different resins as it is suggested with other sla printers?

bolsoncerrado
02-09-2016, 02:22 PM
Very true!

Also each resin has different finishes (elastic resin, solid strong resin, castable resin, different colors resins....)

I know TOW mentioned they would work on an easy way to switch/store different "unused" tanks with remaining resins but I dont know how to store them properly? On a fridge? How? :D

AngryPanda
02-11-2016, 08:10 PM
Hi acnow,

My experience with with the Mark IV is not through my own personal use, (I haven't actually received mine yet.. :(, still waiting for after Lunar New Year holidays..)

What I can tell you is that I was there with TOW in California at an exhibition and got to see/review their demo unit hands on. (that's where the pictures were taken for the review I posted.)

The prints I saw the unit making were multiples of the Rook (Green one in the pix) and after that they started the large Cathedral print. I'm not sure how much it uses/requires for prints as I think that will very depending on the prints you are making.. suffice it to say; the larger the print, the more "juice" required. I did notice they were able to fit approx. 2 full bottles in the resin tank at once, but I don't think that it's necessary unless you are doing some SERIOUSLY long prints that require a bunch of resin. The unit seems to function pretty efficiently in how it uses the materials.

As for multiple materials, unless you have another resin tank, you'll definitely have to clean it if you are switching resins.. (whether different color or properties..)
but I dont think that's anything different from any other resin based printer.
The resin that TOW was using was MakerJuice G+. How they were cleaning the prints was with an IPA mix (as stated above) and using a squirtbottle to rinse the prints off when completed to remove the excess resin.
I would presume the same would be done for switching out resins in the tank. Unless instructed otherwise, I'm just planning on dumping the unused portion of resin back in to a bottle and storing it for next time I use it.. (On a related note to that, I'm not sure what the proper procedures are supposed to be for storing/reusing resins.. I'm going off of ASSumptions but will have to do my own research for that..)

I hope that helps some?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

One of the conversations I had with TOW during the exhibition I attended, SJ stated they are experimenting with a bunch of different types of resin and were also going to try for muilticolor prints.. (He didn't elude to whether or not that was with the MarkIV or not.. since I understand they are also developing the "Jr." Morpheus in the lab.. )
I also was told they are working on developing their own unique resin as well.. not sure of any details on that though..

acnow
02-11-2016, 09:08 PM
@angrypanda, thanks for your comments! They are very helpful! I have now a clearer picture about the amount of resin. I guess I'll be buying a few squirt bottles and a few bottles of Makerjuice G+...

bolsoncerrado
02-12-2016, 10:00 AM
So rinsing with IPA and water "disolves" resin? just the supports? I dont get it... how does the fluid know which resin is "removable"? lol the thinier?

We need a proper "how to" for dummies on this new field "resin printing" :D

Or at least postprocessing techniques howto! :D

bolsoncerrado
02-12-2016, 02:56 PM
Btw this is an interesting 50micron print from friend Mitch Gates on a Form1:

https://scontent-mad1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/t31.0-8/s960x960/12672034_10153436001062781_6379410372827363839_o.j pg

AngryPanda
02-12-2016, 09:34 PM
Dont think of it as dissolving the resin. And really, it only washes down the UNCURED portion. The part about supports is no different from any other 3d printing method really... its break it off, and clean up the attached area. Speaking from my own experience, the smaller the attachment point for the supports, the easier it is to clean up. Some software will let you tweak the size/point of attachment.. You kinda have to play it a bit to get it right sometimes.. taking the default always works, but there's usually some clean up at the point of attachment.

And I agree.. a "how to" would be fantastic!

- - - Updated - - -

That shrunken head looks great! you should get the STL file and try to duplicate it with the MarkIV!

acnow
02-15-2016, 02:20 AM
Has anyone here received any news about a date when their Mark IV is going to ship?

maquantz
02-15-2016, 02:24 AM
Better question...has anyone actually received one yet?

Geoff56
02-15-2016, 10:55 AM
Hi thanks for the interesting review. Can you tell us what the life expectancy of the print membrane is and whether it requires any preparation or if it used as is.
Are spare membranes freely available?

bolsoncerrado
02-15-2016, 02:48 PM
If membrane is a part of the tank the resin is poured in and worked with, I think TOW mentioned something being "different from other printers" and that it didnt need anything like that...

I might be wrong though.

BTW!

Any of you Morpheus backers are on Mac software? IE have to turn into Windows yes or yes in order to get Morpheus up and working? Ie. where do we get the software from? Was it included with every Morpheus? I did miss that part.

acnow
02-15-2016, 09:55 PM
@maquantz: I heard from official source that Mark IV will be shipped at the end of the week or sometime next week.. (add 2 weeks for arrival) Great news! I can't wait to receive mine!

bolsoncerrado
02-16-2016, 09:16 AM
Yesss!!! Finally! :D Can't wait!!

AngryPanda
02-17-2016, 12:13 AM
Hi thanks for the interesting review. Can you tell us what the life expectancy of the print membrane is and whether it requires any preparation or if it used as is.
Are spare membranes freely available?

Hi Geoff56,
I can't personally attest (yet) to how long the membrane will last. But SP when I asked him, he did repeat that it would last "a very long time as long as the user takes care of it." (Which I presume means be careful.. but I'm not sure honestly...)
I think his last update did say that spares would be available for sale on their website. If anyone has/gets an idea of what it is, please feel free to share here! I plan on trying a few things myself just to see what happens..

I'm not sure what the final construction will be for the resin tanks, but when I was there to see the unit in person, it looked like shaped angle-iron to form the tank with a gasket, the membrane, another gasket, and the bottom cover.. I'm thinking I can fashion my own light weight version of it myself for spare...If.. I can get the replacement membrane.. (or figure out something comparable...*snickers the Maker in me*.." :p

bolsoncerrado
02-22-2016, 10:30 AM
Seems my Morpheus is arriving this week and the Morpheus guys are assisting onsite for setup and tutorial too! From Korea to Spain! Suck this crowdfunding! LOL! :P

AngryPanda
02-23-2016, 01:42 AM
Guess what just showed up?!?!?!?[emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngryPanda
02-23-2016, 01:42 AM
And maaaan this box is huge!

acnow
02-23-2016, 02:29 AM
It is a huge box -the magic begins!1319

AngryPanda
02-23-2016, 02:30 AM
Sadly I had to pay UPS an additional $152 @ time of delivery for "duty" fees. [emoji31]

acnow
02-23-2016, 03:42 AM
@angrypanda -sorry to hear that! They delivered mine first time in the morning around 9 AM. Now waiting for the Manual and instructions!

woale
02-23-2016, 07:50 AM
Got mine as well.... and only 1h later, TOW hard at work ;) :

Had a fun time with them:

They carefully explained (and performed) assembly, normal operation and Creation Workshop configuration, including a test print (name plate).
A translated manual will be made available by end of this week / early next week, but who needs a manual when the manufacturer visits on-site.

Can't wait to run some prints today... more to come.
Just need to find a good place to put my printer without my wife freakin'out to have another device in our living room :rolleyes:
TOW explained, best results are obtained in a room with stable humidity and temperature (>21°C).

bolsoncerrado
02-23-2016, 09:53 AM
Where are you located woale? :)

Keep the pics coming guys!!! :)

I should be recieving them soon too! :D

woale
02-23-2016, 10:10 AM
Where are you located woale? :)
I'm in Belgium. TOW will be installing 2 more printers over here today, then they're heading to France.

woale
02-23-2016, 10:20 AM
Keep the pics coming guys!!! :)
As a small teaser :p
At first, I was worried about the XY resolution... but I'm really impressed now! The chess pieces are done with the Morpheus in 50µ, the skull with a Replicator2 at best resolution. The pic doesn't do justice on how fine and detailed the chess pieces are. Again, really impressed​.

bolsoncerrado
02-23-2016, 12:09 PM
Why 50micron??? Go for 25micron!!!

woale
02-23-2016, 02:58 PM
Why 50micron??? Go for 25micron!!!
Because I'm impatient for my first prints :o
In my current conditions, with Makerjuice G+, 30sec exposure and 7sec tilt gives me roughly 1h/cm height at 100µ... 2h/cm at 50µ, so 4h/cm at 25µ.
Haven't figured out yet how to pause and tilt in Creation Workshop to get a look at the object mid print.... hence I need at least 4cm height before getting a first glimp during printing.... which just showed me my PC didn't recognize the Morpheus screen and printed 5h "blank" :(.

PC & Morpheus restarted (need to respect sequence: power-on Morpheus, then plug in USB & HDMI/VGA), and giving it another attempt.

bolsoncerrado
02-23-2016, 05:21 PM
Can you expand on that 5h printing in blank? What caused it?

Cheers!

woale
02-23-2016, 07:42 PM
Can you expand on that 5h printing in blank? What caused it?

Cheers!
I guess my PC didn't recognise the Morpheus LCD whith the HDMI cable still connected at power-on.
Hence, Creation Workshop streamed the mask to my PC screen in hidden window, and the Morpheus remained black for the full 5h print.
I need to be more attentive to the display number given by Creation Workshop as both my PC screen and the Morpheus LCD are on 1920x1080.

woale
02-23-2016, 09:41 PM
Hmmm, second attempt, a fail, bummer... :confused: Not sure what happened here.

Should've been this:
http://thingiverse-production-new.s3.amazonaws.com/renders/f7/06/9a/26/b8/bearing6_preview_featured.jpg

Got printed like this:
With large chunks all over the vat:

And the gears too tight, fixed to the housing:

And now the vat seems to have some nasty resin left over:

My best guess: while fiddling around with meshmaker (for my next print) on the dedicated PC during printing, I must've hit the startbar icon preview, which showed the windows background full screen on the Morpheus LCD :eek:
Conclusion: definitely need a dedicated PC which must remain untouched during printing...
Maybe I was a bit too optimistic about the planetary gears, able to print in place on the Morpheus (which I already did with an FDM in the past though).
As for that nasty leftover resin, no clue... I'll washup, leave it to dry and have a fresh start next weekend (I hope).

Sorry guys, that's it from my part this week... Anyone else had better luck ?

AngryPanda
02-24-2016, 03:34 AM
Woale, thanks so much for the share and pix! Sorry for the troubles. Guess it will take us all some time to work out the kinks!
Was the "put it together" process fairly quick?

woale
02-24-2016, 07:54 AM
Was the "put it together" process fairly quick?
Unpacking from the cardboard box and putting the Morpheus together took about an hour. I think I've actually slowed them down with questions and being nosey ;)
Then we took about 2 hours for Q&A and a test print. Those guys were really helpful and went the extra mile!

AngryPanda
02-24-2016, 08:10 AM
That's awesome! So someone mentioned earlier that the membrane process was a bit delicate, can you explain? Did you get the same thing?

bolsoncerrado
02-24-2016, 08:16 AM
Wow the whole thing overall sounds scary!

I dont think any other resin printer in the market gets this dedication, aside from the big brands with top dollar invoices.

bolsoncerrado
02-24-2016, 03:38 PM
BTW for those of you in Europe who already got the Printer... did you need a "EURO1" form filled by TOW so the printer could be released from Customs!??! It's the first time I've been asked this and I have no idea where to get this form from. I've been told it's TOW who must supply this or I need to pay a surcharge of 69EUR for the Printer to be freed without this form.

Any clues!?

Cheers!

woale
02-24-2016, 03:54 PM
That's awesome! So someone mentioned earlier that the membrane process was a bit delicate, can you explain? Did you get the same thing?

While I've no prior experience with vats, indeed extra caution seems needed when tightening the screws on the upper part of the vat onto the lower part (with the film/membrane in between). As expected, the film is prone to scratches, which will be inevitable when cleaning the vat between prints. If I remember well, TOW explained the film should last about 6months when printing daily. As our parcel contains a spare film, we're good for quite some time [emoji1].

bolsoncerrado
02-24-2016, 03:57 PM
@woale check your private messages folder too mate :D

woale
02-24-2016, 04:00 PM
BTW for those of you in Europe who already got the Printer... did you need a "EURO1" form filled by TOW so the printer could be released from Customs!??! It's the first time I've been asked this and I have no idea where to get this form from. I've been told it's TOW who must supply this or I need to pay a surcharge of 69EUR for the Printer to be freed without this form.

Any clues!?

Cheers!
I wasn't asked for any form, but did had to pay 65€ duties, 840€ taxes and 22€ 'brokerage surcharges'. In cash, upon delivery [emoji46]
Plus, a beer for the UPS guy, cause I let him waiting while a made a quick trip to the bank [emoji1]

AngryPanda
02-24-2016, 05:04 PM
Yeah, those surcharges were a surprise to me.. But.. That's international business I guess. I didn't have any beer for the UPS guy though.

AngryPanda
02-24-2016, 05:05 PM
Hey Woale,
Was all of the electronics for the Morpheus already installed when you open the package?

woale
02-24-2016, 05:30 PM
Actually, TOW opened the package... And you can tell it isn't their first time... I think the power unit was already installed, not sure about the arduino or the LED and LCD driver. The LED board itself, and the LCD screen are separate.
If anyone can film them, could be useful for future reference ;)

AngryPanda
02-24-2016, 07:41 PM
I'll give it a shot with recording. We'll see how that goes!

AngryPanda
02-24-2016, 08:06 PM
woale,

I also wanted to ask, what version of Creation Workshop are you running? And was the Arduino already preconfigured?

woale
02-24-2016, 08:13 PM
woale,

I also wanted to ask, what version of Creation Workshop are you running? And was the Arduino already preconfigured?
TOW asks for CW 1.0.0.75 till they release a branded version. The Arduino was preloaded.

acnow
02-25-2016, 05:14 AM
Where are the youtube tutorials on how to set up the Mark iv? Please, share the how-to.. Thanks!

bolsoncerrado
02-25-2016, 08:15 AM
TOW promised manuals soon... so we'll see ;)

I'm recieving them on friday, and hopefully the printer arrives today!

AngryPanda
02-25-2016, 09:11 AM
I meet with them in the morning. I'll make sure they get posted up. (I have good wifi @ my hotel..[emoji12])

AngryPanda
02-25-2016, 09:12 AM
@bolsoncerrado, Good luck with your printer arrival!!

bolsoncerrado
02-25-2016, 09:51 AM
Good wifi at your hotel....??? you live in a hotel? :D

AngryPanda
02-25-2016, 09:54 AM
I work for a resort [emoji23]

bolsoncerrado
02-25-2016, 10:11 AM
And you're installing the Morpheus there? :O

bolsoncerrado
02-25-2016, 02:46 PM
Just got some private youtube videos of the unboxing, hardware and software setup plus testing of the Morpheus. I'll keep them private for now, as I assume everyone is getting them as we speak!

Let me know!

woale
02-25-2016, 09:59 PM
Yup, got them as well

AngryPanda
02-26-2016, 09:57 AM
Well, after a long day of trouble shooting with TOW, we managed to get some prints off of my unit but there were issues.
1 had connectivity problems with my laptop not finding the arduino. (Problem with drivers/win7)
2: after calibration, printed nameplate successfully but there were malformed sections of the prints. Changed tank membranes a few times, experimented with a few things, but still had the issue. After looking into it further, there was a slight warp in the membrane film where it looked like it was folded over on itself. May have been a problem with manufacturing since 3 different films had the same problem. So they will get more ordered/inspected and send them out. I suspect more people will potentially have the same issue of their film came from the same batch. 1328

AngryPanda
02-26-2016, 09:58 AM
Over all though, I can say in very happy with the quality of the unit and am very impressed with the team! I'll be playing around with the MarkIV while I wait for a new film.

bolsoncerrado
02-26-2016, 10:22 AM
So sorry on your experience after all, AngryPanda... What if you tighten high the film for quite some days and see if this helps a bit? may be applying some water vapour or heat with a hair dryer and see if this helps getting a straight finnish? In the end the films you got are already "factory discarded" right? Nothing to loose, right?

Can you print on other parts of the film may be?

Also how did you solve the drivers issue? This may help.... me? As I'm on a laptop with W7 as well and I should be getting mine....today hopefully!

I'll start saying by how DISGRACEFULL the UPS people are!

They tried to change the TARIC / TARIFF number on the printer yesterday afternoon just to earn one more day of warehouse stay and they won, delay on warehouse earned them more money! This is so SHAMELESS, corporations taking profit of such small companies and individuals, and I had to fight up to the words "lawyer" and "higher instances" to make them react! I'm SICK of them.

bolsoncerrado
02-26-2016, 04:58 PM
So finally here we are with the Morpheus team setting everything up! Very kind guys!!

Facing the same issue with the film though :(

Pics to come later today.

woale
02-26-2016, 05:25 PM
Hope you get your film sorted out.
Remind them to register to the forum, and maybe they could broadcast an invitation through the KS campaign. ;)

Have fun!

bolsoncerrado
02-26-2016, 05:32 PM
Did they print a long nameplate for you woale?

Didnt you have issues with the film?

Seems we're all affected lol! Whats up with your prints? Nothing more printed so far?

woale
02-26-2016, 05:50 PM
Yes, a nameplate was printed, which I've used for rigorous strength testing (read= I broke the whole thing). No sign of filmwarping though... But no other prints done besides the failed planetary gears.
Can't wait to free up some time and run some extensive curingtests (if I can resist printing bigger things...). I'll post a thread on that.

acnow
02-26-2016, 08:02 PM
I have a question in regard to the assembling for anyone here .. does the sticky part of the film go up facing you or down? I watched the video tutorial but subtitles were in Korean.. Thanks in advance!

AngryPanda
02-26-2016, 09:01 PM
Acnow,
When you you test both sides ofthe film with tape, the side that is "stickiest" goes down. The. Top part is coated with Teflon so the resin& print won't stick to it when the build plate lifts. Make sense?

acnow
02-26-2016, 09:24 PM
thanks a lot @angrypanda! Yes.. it makes sense!

AngryPanda
02-26-2016, 10:04 PM
Here is an example of how the print comes out with warping.

bolsoncerrado
02-26-2016, 10:09 PM
Well TOW finally left at 5pm today after 5 intense hours of introductions, unboxing, setups, tests and more tests.

After a couple of film warping issues, tow decided to reapply the film again (I only recieved 1 film, no more spares) and after retentionsioning it we managed to print the name plate correctly!

so may be anyone else affected by this should try again.

then I tried a print by myself and after 2h of 4h I checked the machine and it was stalled, ie there was UV light but no motor movement although the counter was still going on... I stopped the process, moved up the z axis and nothing got cured so I guess USB connection failed (I hope!).

I'll keep trying when I have more time, as it was late Friday already! :(

pics and extended review coming soon.

AngryPanda
02-26-2016, 10:17 PM
@bolsoncerrado, Thanks for the update! I'm glad there is possible hope for the film!.. I'll try to retention it.. sorry for your other troubles though!

On a side note to all, one of the things that I saw them do was checking electrical connections when something didn't quite go right. They would re-seat connections, loosen and re-tighten wires/screws. etc..and things would work.. so.. just a a possible suggestion to make sure everything is tight.. We all know things can shift around during shipping.. these babies went around the world.. (My top glass even had a crack in it.. they will send me replacement and I'll put it in..)

acnow
02-26-2016, 10:20 PM
can someone post a picture of the power cable? Mine is missing

AngryPanda
02-26-2016, 11:44 PM
It's just a standard NEMA computer chord. Was yours not in the plastic bag!

AngryPanda
02-26-2016, 11:48 PM
Should have been a "?"..[emoji1312]

acnow
02-27-2016, 12:19 AM
perfect... Thanks @angrypanda! i just bought one..

acnow
02-27-2016, 03:06 AM
I wonder where can I get 3d file of the rook that appears in the video tutorials?

maquantz
02-27-2016, 03:08 AM
Try thingaverse or Google rook chess 3d file

acnow
02-27-2016, 03:14 AM
@angrypanda.. when it came to the problem you were facing with arduino .. I wonder if it was related to finding the port? I cannot find the port that shows in the video -I have two cables connected to the Mark 4.. my usb printer cable and my hdmi.. but it doesn't seem to find the printer

- - - Updated - - -

thanks @maguantz! I got it

bolsoncerrado
02-27-2016, 08:34 AM
you may need to install the arduino drivers from arduino.cc

bolsoncerrado
02-27-2016, 08:36 AM
btw I'm also trying to find the same exact rook file, which is it? I had no luck!

AngryPanda
02-27-2016, 09:03 AM
Not sure which ones you're looking looking for:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:399545

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:99028

AngryPanda
02-27-2016, 09:05 AM
@bolsoncerrado I'm working on the drivers issue. Thx!

acnow
02-27-2016, 07:49 PM
On video #5 when they are doing the test with the first slice.. I noticed that the film was wet.. I wonder what's the liquid they used: water with 12 percent alcohol?

woale
02-27-2016, 08:13 PM
On video #5 when they are doing the test with the first slice.. I noticed that the film was wet.. I wonder what's the liquid they used: water with 12 percent alcohol?
They told me to clean the vat with IPA alcohol and wipe with kitchen Kleenex, then let it dry.

sukhvir
02-29-2016, 07:43 PM
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and received my Morpheus last week. It's been sitting in it's box for a while and the OWL team just came today to set it up. What an impressive team they have I have to add and demonstrate by far the best customer service I have EVER received from any company (small or large) - I stay in the UK by the way (Scotland) so they had a hell of a mission getting here.

I'll be running a few test prints and will post photos in due course.

bolsoncerrado
02-29-2016, 09:05 PM
Hey sukhvir! Welcome to your new home! ;) Love Scotland btw! TOW must be having the time of their life with this trip as well, meeting so many people from around the globe in so short time!! WOW!

Definetly it was so unexpected to recieve the email letting us know they were coming for the set up!!!

I just got a new laptop as my printer has been behaving weird with my old laptop so I hope to start printing by tomorrow non-stop and start posting pics as well asap and the long due PRINT3Dforum own's review on the overall experience!!!

bolsoncerrado
02-29-2016, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the rook links! 99028 was the one! ;)

sukhvir
02-29-2016, 09:50 PM
Thanks Bolsoncerrado. I'll try and share what I can. Also, some of the prints I will be doing may be bigger than the build volume of the Morpheus, so I will be printing pieces and have purchased a UV laser to join them together (http://shop.madesolid.com/blogs/madesolid/16994820-how-to-bond-your-resin-prints). Not sure how this will work out but will share results.

I have also read in other posts that it is better to use Meshmixer to generate supports that are better than CW - does anyone have any experience in this area?

acnow
03-01-2016, 01:40 AM
Hi Guys: I finally opened my 3dprinter yesterday and I set it up the way they mentioned. No problem until today. I was able to see my monitor extended into the morpheous printer but now my monitor is not turning on.. Does anyone here have had a similar problem? Any solution?

AngryPanda
03-01-2016, 01:45 AM
I had this happen yesterday.. What I found was that I had unplugged the printer from my laptop at one point and windows lost the connection to the LCD screen.. I Plugged it back in and restarted the laptop. However once it was there, I had to go back into CW and reconfigure the software to use the printer's lcd screen again. After I did that and saved it.. restarted CW and it came back up fine

At least that's what I ran into..

bolsoncerrado
03-01-2016, 08:32 AM
I was told the order was to turn on the Morpheus, the computer and then plug the VGA/HDMI cable to the computer.

sukhvir
03-01-2016, 12:46 PM
I was told the same thing bolsoncerrado and that worked for me. I ran a print yesterday and after 50 mins, saw nothing had printed. Turned out windows hadn't detected the Morpheus screen when I restarted as I did it in the wrong order. So turn on Morpheus first, turn on computer then plug in cable so it recognises the second monitor.

acnow
03-01-2016, 04:17 PM
thanks @bolsoncerrado and @sukhvir .. my pc laptop detects the second monitor but nothing comes out in the screen.. I did it on this order:

1. Turn on your Morpheus
2. Connect HDMI (or vga) to PC
3. Turn on your PC.

bolsoncerrado
03-01-2016, 04:19 PM
Invert 2 and 3.

acnow
03-01-2016, 09:58 PM
@angrypand.. what do you mean by "I had to go back into CW and reconfigure the software to use the printer's lcd screen again"? Can you detail the steps? Thanks a lot!

acnow
03-06-2016, 09:45 PM
I finally figured it out the problem why my second monitor was not showing the content of my first monitor. Here are my findings:
When you unplug your laptop (computer) or turn off the printer:
1. Creation Workshop is not saving the monitor that you added. It keeps it on memory but you have to erase the second monitor from the Configure window tab and add your second monitor again on that same section
2. Sometimes windows 10 doesn't keep the resolution of your second monitor saved on your settings.. so you have to select again (though it may appear as active) the resolution of your second monitor and apply changes so that your first monitor is extended onto your second monitor.
3. On a different occasion inside the Creation Workshop software I was on my Slice View window tab and deselected the tab so that the slice view stop showing on my monitor and I forgot that I have deselected that option.. You have to select that little window that appears on your left bottom side of the screen so that your file view shows on your printer monitor.

AngryPanda
03-06-2016, 10:01 PM
@acnow, sorry I didn't see your question in previous post! Glad you got it figured out!

bolsoncerrado
03-07-2016, 09:20 AM
I'm on W7 with no issues so far. May be you want to downgrade your Morpheus laptop?

acnow
03-07-2016, 05:44 PM
@bolsoncerrado .. I just bought one laptop for this process and now I stopped having problems with this particular element...

- - - Updated - - -

Sarkmachine
03-12-2016, 01:32 AM
Well, this has all been more info than I could have ever hoped for, so thanks very much to all you guys. Hopefully the workflow will smooth out for everyone and I'll be able to order a unit in confidence. Please keep your results coming!

acnow
03-28-2016, 05:19 PM
I'm on W7 with no issues so far. May be you want to downgrade your Morpheus laptop?

Hi @bolsoncerrado. I kept having problems with extending my laptop monitor into the monitor of the printer (on windows 10). It didn't show up on monitor 90% of the time. I installed "windows 7" as you suggested but my monitor is still not showing on the printer.. What version of window 7 do you have pack 1 or 2?

maquantz
03-28-2016, 05:30 PM
Okay....I have yet to receive my Morpheus yet but an following the dialogue here. I am baffled by the issues that people are having in terms of set up and trying to perform a decent print. My understanding of a finished project is that the needed parameters to perform a successful print were established by the team prior to shipping...at least using MakerJuice resin. Was the printer sent out prematurely? Does it lack the needed support? Or is it in fact a big paperweight? Dont believe I have seen any prints of cathedrals performed by this community. Just curious here as the chat make me wish perhaps I had purchased a true plug and play printer such as Form 2. Appreciate everyones thoughts.

bolsoncerrado
03-28-2016, 07:20 PM
Its definetly not a big paperweight but it seems it definetly needs some bit of finetunning... At least there's something weird with the makerjuice resin that we can't control as well as TOW does....

FTD seems easier to control although has "other issues" different than the MJ: instead of uneven finishes, it has uneven "starts" lol

acnow
03-29-2016, 03:32 AM
I finally got my windows 7 sp 1 to work (windows 10 was incompatible)! I downgraded my windows 10 to windows 7.
It was quite an adventure (had to upgrade drivers manually via usb memory -wireless card) and then all the other drivers and video card (restarted the compu a few times). It was worthy!! I am finally able to see my monitor on the printer without problem.

dada print
03-29-2016, 08:07 AM
Hi

Did anyone got the preview to work with Creation workshop?

Everything else works fine and I have to basically count the timer and percentage readout to tell what stage the print is at.

There needs to be a better software from Owl Works.

bolsoncerrado
03-29-2016, 08:37 AM
If you mean "which current slide the software is in", no that one does not work afaik....

TOW is working on its own software but no release date afaik.

We're currently awaiting on compatibility with nanoDLP as well. Check the other thread about it.

dada print
03-29-2016, 09:01 AM
I just got myself a Raspberry Pi 3. Looking at getting my other smaller printer to work with it.

sukhvir
03-31-2016, 11:20 PM
Hi bolsoncerrado. Any further communication from TOW? They seem to have gone quiet again and not responding to emails.

bolsoncerrado
04-01-2016, 04:50 AM
No, I just what they said on the campaign page, to wait a bit more for updates....im not sure if they're aware of all our issues if the mj+ and the fact almost nobody is being able. to fully print anything in full yet.

arcanevisionaries
11-03-2017, 08:06 PM
Has anyone tried to print a high end model and not one from online on this..I have many and curious of the quality.

bolsoncerrado
11-04-2017, 10:16 PM
Not one from online? Wdy mean exactly?

TommyDee
11-05-2017, 07:03 AM
Anyone know what software can create those relief STLs from pictures?
(from page 1 of this thread)

bolsoncerrado
11-06-2017, 09:59 AM
U mean lithophanes?

http://3dp.rocks/lithophane/