PDA

View Full Version : nanoDLP with Mark IV

woale
03-09-2016, 09:14 AM
As I had to move the printer away from our living room :cool:, I don't have much spare room left for a dedicated PC... plus, I'm not that impressed by the features and capabilities of Creation Workshop, and the use of a secondary screen in Windows 10 is giving me headaches.

So, gave it a try with a Raspberry Pi 3 (https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-3-model-b/), running nanoDLP (http://www.nanodlp.com/), hooked up to the Morpheus Mark IV.

Main advantages being:

no more additional dedicated (and error prone) laptop/desktop computer needed,
a wireless Morpheus Mark IV, just use any tablet/smartphone/pc to access the nanoDLP webpages over wifi,
(still to do: ) nicely integrated inside the Morpheus, with the Pi running from Arduino power,
(still to do: ) and last but not least, advanced features like 'variable exposure rates', 'mask support', 'in print pictures with a Pi Camera', ...

The somewhat down side being: nanoDLP currently (build 1117) only accepts SLC, SVG or Zip (PNGs) files. Meanwhile, Asiga Stomp allows STL to SLC export (find it here (https://www.asiga.com/products/software/#tab_stomp)).

Here are the settings I'm currently using on nanoDLP build 1117:

Setup - Hardware Setup:

Setup - Customized Buttons: (Note: created an 'initialise' button, as 'Gcode - Bootup' above is often executed too early. Optionally, created a 'home' button, if you added a lower endstop, see thread here (http://www.print3dforum.com/showthread.php/757-Morpheus-Modifications?p=33469&viewfull=1#post33469))

Printer Profile: used for FTD resin at 100ยต layer height. (I still need to figure out how to improve the 'Gcode After Each Layer' with variable delay)

See post #4 below for the installation instructions.

Have fun!

bolsoncerrado
03-09-2016, 09:21 AM
What a coincidence! I just ordered my Pi3 yesterday! haha! :)

Seems like a good path to follow! :)

Links to nanoDLP and other soft so we can follow your path please? :D

My other question would be if using a IR Pi Camera would affect the prints or the camera itself... so we can monitor the whole process in the dark :D

woale
03-09-2016, 09:25 AM
What a coincidence! I just ordered my Pi3 yesterday! haha! :)

Seems like a good path to follow! :)

Links to nanoDLP and other soft so we can follow your path please? :D

My other question would be if using a IR Pi Camera would affect the prints or the camera itself... so we can monitor the whole process in the dark :D
Weird, I'm sure I added links in the first post... Seems they got lost.

nanoDLP : www.nanodlp.com

woale
03-09-2016, 10:24 AM
To install nanoDLP on a Raspberry Pi 3:

Download the latest Raspbian Lite OS from https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian_lite_latest
Install the downloaded (unzipped) image on an SD card, as described on https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/installing-images/windows.md
Insert SD card, ethernet and power cable in the Pi
Get remote access on the Pi over ssh (https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/remote-access/)
To avoid inconsistent blanking of the Morpheus LCD screen, add following lines to /boot/config.txt ;

disable_overscan=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_drive=2
hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=31
Optionally, if you want to access over wifi, add your wireless network details like https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/wireless/wireless-cli.md
Deploy nanoDLP via command
(wget http://www.nanodlp.com/nanodlp.tar.gz -O - | tar -C /home/pi -xz);cd /home/pi/printer;sudo ./setup.sh

http://www.nanodlp.com/install.gif

bolsoncerrado
03-09-2016, 11:20 AM
Oh no they're still there, nanoDLP is linked, my bad lol!

Thanks for the further explanations ;)

Wow! Finally! Software that tells you resin usage in ml! WOhooo!!!

bolsoncerrado
03-09-2016, 11:23 AM
BTW the nanodlc page also links to this ;)
SLC Format

You can save your 3D files as SLC format from many popular 3D programs. But if your favorite program does not export SLC or quality wise it is not good, you can try programs below:

Asiga Stomp (Freeware) STL to SLC Converter (https://www.asiga.com/products/software/)

Wohoo! It even has a TERMINAL mode!

This software looks very promising!!

woale
03-09-2016, 05:23 PM
Just tried to drive the Morpheus LCD by RPi3 with nanoDLP, and it works!
The Pi found the Morpheus LCD as being an "HIF-HID1920X540H_" and runs as [HDMI CEA (16) RGB full 16:9], 1920x1080 @ 60.00Hz, progressive.

Pic of the Morpheus LCD showing a nanoDLP calibration image, added to the first post.

Couldn't resist to connect the USB cable as well :o, but the default speed/motor/actuator settings seems incompatible with the Morpheus, as I'm getting inconsistent results when moving the Z axis. Communication via Gcode (M106 S240, M107, ...) works nicely though!
Can't wait for an answer from TOW with correct settings to try out a first print.

bolsoncerrado
03-09-2016, 06:06 PM
Wohooo!!! moving forward!!

The software really seems complete and a dream come true!

If the resin calculator is somewhat accurate, this will be a very NICE addition to the Morpheus "one-in-all" solution without the need for a laptop!

bolsoncerrado
03-09-2016, 06:07 PM
Wohooo!!! moving forward!!

The software really seems complete and a dream come true!

If the resin calculator is somewhat accurate, this will be a very NICE addition to the Morpheus "all-in-one" solution without the need for a laptop!

Ps. Woale the image on your first post appears blocked.

woale
03-09-2016, 07:07 PM
Ps. Woale the image on your first post appears blocked.
Thanks, corrected now I hope...

sukhvir
03-09-2016, 08:07 PM
Wow! I'm not as techie (codewise) as you guys appear to be, however can follow instructions and get the desired results. I also have a Pi arriving tomorrow and this would be a great use for it. Can you show us photos of how you hooked up the Pi to the arduino inside your Morpheus? I'll try not to pester you guys but I'm really excited to try this out.

bolsoncerrado
03-09-2016, 08:44 PM
You dont need to mess with the insides of the Morpheus at this time yet... Just plug the Pi HDMI to the Morph HDMI and the Pi USB to the Morph USB and that should be it.

Anyone knows where's TOW?!

woale
03-09-2016, 11:35 PM
You dont need to mess with the insides of the Morpheus at this time yet... Just plug the Pi HDMI to the Morph HDMI and the Pi USB to the Morph USB and that should be it.

Anyone knows where's TOW?!
Got a mail from SJ this morning: "Please wait for a while, my staffs will get back to you with appropriate info."
[emoji106]

bolsoncerrado
03-14-2016, 12:13 PM
So @woale whats the "connection" order for the Raspi, Morpheus and the HDMI?

You turn on the Morpheus, then plug the Raspi to the power outlet, then the HDMI to the Raspi?

woale
03-14-2016, 03:09 PM
So @woale whats the "connection" order for the Raspi, Morpheus and the HDMI?

You turn on the Morpheus, then plug the Raspi to the power outlet, then the HDMI to the Raspi?

Theoretically, the Raspi and Morpheus could stay "connected", without any power on sequence to respect... which is why I'll try to power the Raspi via the 5V VCC from the Ramps board.

But, this morning I had inconsistencies with the LCD (layers blinking for seconds), which I haven't figured out yet (hardware or software).:confused:

The Speed/Actuator/Motor settings are all almost set. More to share tomorrow (I hope).

woale
03-15-2016, 09:17 PM
Here are the actuator related settings I've been using, under Tab 'Setup', 'Hardware Setup', where you define a Printer ;
Speed (which don't matter much, since we'll be using Gcode):
- Max Speed (micron/sec) : 3000
- Min Speed : 1000
- Motor Startup Speed : 100
Actuator / Motor (only used for manually moving the buildplate under Tab 'Z-Axis Calibration'... @AngryPanda, look out for those 50mm buttons ;) ):
- Motor Step Angle : 1.8
- Microstep : 16
- Leadscrew Pitch (mm) : 2

These Printer Setup related Gcode I found useful ;
- Execute - Start of Print , and End of Print:
date "+@ %T:%N"
- GCode - Start of Print:
; SoP [[SyscallResult]]
G21 ; set to mm
G91 ; set to relative
M17 ; enable steppers
- Gcode - End of Print:
; EoP [[SyscallResult]]
M107 ; led off
G1 Z6.9 F250 ; move up
M18 ; disable steppers
- Gcode - Shutter Open:
M106 S240 ; led on
- Gcode - Shutter Close:
M107 ; led off

Be sure to keep 'Movement GPIOs', 'Shutter', 'Projector Connection' and 'Hardware Fault Detection' in Disabled, and don't forget to hit "Submit".

The next version of nanoDLP will also contain a "GCode - At bootup" field, but for now I created a "Customized Button" (under Tab 'Setup') to initialize the RAMPS board with following GCode:
; init
G21 ; set to mm
G91 ; set to relative
G1 F250 ; set speed

Note: I haven't printed yet with nanoDLP, so we'll need to figure out the correct GCode/settings in 'Printer Profile' to move the buildplate between layers.

woale
03-15-2016, 10:11 PM
The one and only reason I haven't been printing yet with nanoDLP, is the Morpheus LCD screen is behaving very inconsistent... the screen simply "blanks" from time to time, sometimes for minutes, sometimes for seconds, and other times I need to boot the RPi and Morpheus before I can get anything on the LCD screen again.

I've been trying all sorts of HDMI settings (via tvservice command, and via alternative modes in /boot/config.txt), other connection sequences, different RPi power supplies, HDMI cables, .... and I'm running out of options, time and patience :(

Could someone please verify if same behavior is observed by removing the buildplate+vat and running some test prints (like a Calibration Plate), or display the Projector Calibration image : experiencing some "blanking" as well ? The screen doesn't power off, or doesn't go into power saving mode, nor does it loose HDMI signal.... the image simply goes away (=black screen).

bolsoncerrado
03-16-2016, 09:18 AM
@woale are you already into the powering-everything-from-ramps mode or are you still using power sources to power raspi alone for now?

woale
03-16-2016, 09:21 AM
@woale are you already into the powering-everything-from-ramps mode or are you still using power sources to power raspi alone for now?
Still powering raspi from separate USB source.

woale
04-04-2016, 07:23 PM
Woooohoooo!

Finally fixed the LCD blanking issue... turns out the RPi (various models) don't cope very well the EDID info from the Morpheus LCD screen.
Obtained the Morpheus LCD driver board datasheet from TOW, and figured out 1080p mode is only possible with 50Hz and 59.94Hz vertical timing frequency (not the 60Hz which RPi prefers).

So, spent a whole day to try setup custom CVT modes to obtain 59.94 Hz (like Windows 10 does with default EDID info)... but eventually had to satisfy with 50Hz.

This is the /boot/config.txt options that work for me, allowing an HDMI CEA standard of 1920x1080 @ 50Hz Progressive ;

disable_overscan=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_drive=2
hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=31

Minimal installation instructions post (first page) updated accordingly ;)

Tomorrow, printing trials with nanoDLP! :D :D :D

bolsoncerrado
04-04-2016, 08:54 PM
Awesome work woale!! you really need to update first post with a step by step instruction from scratch now :PI'm now having issues with my uv filter, I just hope it will be a software issue and Nano DLP will save my ass :P

bolsoncerrado
04-06-2016, 02:01 PM
Any update @woale? You have us on tenterhooks! :D

woale
04-08-2016, 01:27 AM
Any update @woale? You have us on tenterhooks! :D

Patience my friend, I first need to free up some time to print :cool:

acnow
04-11-2016, 02:42 PM
Patience my friend, I first need to free up some time to print :cool:

Did you have any chance over the weekend to test any result with NanoDLP?

woale
04-11-2016, 05:33 PM
Yep, ran 2 small prints (actuator endstops from Morpheus modifications thread) with nanoDLP on a RPi3. Must say I'm quite impressed. No way I'm going back to CW on a Windows box ;) Just need to figure out a few additional settings. I'll try to update my current settings on the first post later this evening.
Seriously, give it a try.

bolsoncerrado
04-11-2016, 06:28 PM
Wohooo! :D

acnow
04-11-2016, 06:45 PM
Yep, ran 2 small prints (actuator endstops from Morpheus modifications thread) with nanoDLP on a RPi3. Must say I'm quite impressed. No way I'm going back to CW on a Windows box ;) Just need to figure out a few additional settings. I'll try to update my current settings on the first post later this evening.
Seriously, give it a try.
Super cool! My RPi3 should arrive this week. I can't wait! I am particularly looking forward to seeing the printing process on the screen and getting rid of a few cables :)

bolsoncerrado
04-11-2016, 06:50 PM
...and metal frames lol

...and avoiding the burnout of the laptop screen lol

c'mon woale, let's see those settings! :D

woale
04-11-2016, 09:03 PM
c'mon woale, let's see those settings! :D
First post updated ;)

acnow
04-12-2016, 10:54 PM
First post updated ;)

Thanks for update with the settings @woale -awesome!! I wonder if you have any picture with successful prints that we can preview? I can't wait to install mine!!

sukhvir
04-20-2016, 11:13 PM
I tried using NanoDLP a few days ago, however the UV light panel came on, but the screen just showed the very first image and after that, kept showing blanks. Anyone else had this issue? When I went back to CW, everything was fine.

woale
04-20-2016, 11:49 PM
I tried using NanoDLP a few days ago, however the UV light panel came on, but the screen just showed the very first image and after that, kept showing blanks. Anyone else had this issue? When I went back to CW, everything was fine.
If the layers were also blank on the preview window (on main page) during print, I'd say an issue with slicing (which I haven't had). Otherwise, if it's inconsistent full screen blanking, be sure you run the lcd in 1920x1080@50hz (check via command 'tvservice -s' over ssh) as mentioned in earlier posts in this thread.

sukhvir
04-21-2016, 07:19 AM
Thanks for getting back @woale. The layers were all present on the preview window and I could go through each one to confirm it had sliced properly. I also had the lcd set up as you mentioned, however will try again in a couple of days and report back. How are your prints coming along?

woale
04-21-2016, 07:47 AM
Thanks for getting back @woale. The layers were all present on the preview window and I could go through each one to confirm it had sliced properly. I also had the lcd set up as you mentioned, however will try again in a couple of days and report back. How are your prints coming along?
Haven't had the chance to print yet. Soon I hope ;)

bolsoncerrado
04-21-2016, 08:20 AM
I'm amazed almost any of us have succeeded yet lol I'm also in the middle of a big office move and I'm stalled as well lol

woale
04-21-2016, 11:55 AM
Indeed stil a bit of a hassle to print something, even on FDM. Can't wait till the time comes when you can simply flip it on and your cleaned print comes out instantly :D

acnow
05-25-2016, 02:35 AM
To install nanoDLP on a Raspberry Pi 3:

Hi Woale: I finally got my raspberry pi 3 and I installed the nano dlp following your instructions. What do we need to do after the installation? I see on the screenshots on top that you have the ip/setup .. where do we put that link? on the pi 3 or any browser? that Ip is the ip of the raspberry pi?
After installing your instructions my raspberry pi went dark and I put the ip of my raspberry pi on the browser of my laptop but the page is in blank. I also tried to access my raspberry pi via putty but it was not allowing me. Your help is much appreciated, thanks!

woale
05-25-2016, 10:19 AM
Hi Woale: I finally got my raspberry pi 3 and I installed the nano dlp following your instructions. What do we need to do after the installation? I see on the screenshots on top that you have the ip/setup .. where do we put that link? on the pi 3 or any browser? that Ip is the ip of the raspberry pi?
After installing your instructions my raspberry pi went dark and I put the ip of my raspberry pi on the browser of my laptop but the page is in blank. I also tried to access my raspberry pi via putty but it was not allowing me. Your help is much appreciated, thanks!
Congrats acnow for making it this far.
To be sure I understand your post, you've been able to deploy the RPi image on the SD Card, boot up the RPi and accessed it with putty over ethernet cable to install nanoDLP?
Then you should be able to enter the ip of your RPi on any browser from your local network to obtain the nanoDLP homescreen.
Otherwise, reboot the RPi and check your router to be sure of the granted ip.
Let me know how it goes.

bolsoncerrado
05-30-2016, 03:51 PM
@woale

I'm finishing setting up nanoDLP now and gonna try it on my Morpheus...

Re the lift gcode the original CWS gcode had...

;********** Lift Sequence ********
M107
G1{$SlideTiltVal != 0? X$SlideTiltVal:} Z($ZLiftDist * $ZDir) F{$CURSLICE < $NumFirstLayers?$ZBottomLiftRate:$ZLiftRate}
G1{$SlideTiltVal != 0? X($SlideTiltVal * -1):} Z(($LayerThickness-$ZLiftDist) * $ZDir) F$ZRetractRate
;<Delay> %d$BlankTime
;********** Lift Sequence **********

is this not used anymore on NanoDLP?

And once all settings "cloned" from your setup, how do you load and "slice" the file then print it?

acnow
05-30-2016, 04:32 PM
@woale.. It will be nice to have a video tutorial of the entire process... For example... Once I installed those settings you shared at the beginning i cannot access my raspberry pi via putty client with the old ip -or browser. If I need to change the resolution settings of the screen remote access is needed here.. Tomorrow I will get a memory adapter to erase and install everything again -but I think a video will help people the best.. Thanks in advance !!

woale
05-30-2016, 04:49 PM
Re the lift gcode the original CWS gcode had...

;********** Lift Sequence ********
M107
G1{$SlideTiltVal != 0? X$SlideTiltVal:} Z($ZLiftDist * $ZDir) F{$CURSLICE < $NumFirstLayers?$ZBottomLiftRate:$ZLiftRate}
G1{$SlideTiltVal != 0? X($SlideTiltVal * -1):} Z(($LayerThickness-$ZLiftDist) * $ZDir) F$ZRetractRate
;<Delay> %d$BlankTime
;********** Lift Sequence **********

is this not used anymore on NanoDLP?

Nope, you can simply copy the GCode mentioned in the first post, and past in a "print profile".

And once all settings "cloned" from your setup, how do you load and "slice" the file then print it?
You load by adding a "plate", and selecting the "profile". As of nanoDLP build 1165, also STL files can be imported.
Then, when you hit submit, nanoDLP will slice into layers. And when your buildplate is correctly positioned, you can "Print From Start" the plate.

bolsoncerrado
05-30-2016, 04:50 PM
acnow are you on windows? you just need an LAN IP scanner to find out which is the IP assigned to your raspi and access your nanoDLP OR try accessing this link and see if it's detected:

http://www.nanodlp.com/dashboard

bolsoncerrado
05-30-2016, 04:53 PM
@woale thanks for the startup tutorial then ;) I just updated to the latest nanoDLP as well, nice move to accept STLs :)

What about the support system? Does nanoDLP auto-add them on the fly? :)

Im awaiting current print to finish and test nanoDLP! Cant wait!

woale
05-30-2016, 05:10 PM
What about the support system? Does nanoDLP auto-add them on the fly? :)

In the current latest build version (1165), nanoDLP doesn't generate support. Better use meshmixer for support.
Otherwise, suggest it to shanon of nanoDLP on his forum (http://www.nanodlp.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=3) ;)

woale
05-30-2016, 05:18 PM
@woale.. It will be nice to have a video tutorial of the entire process... For example... Once I installed those settings you shared at the beginning i cannot access my raspberry pi via putty client with the old ip -or browser. If I need to change the resolution settings of the screen remote access is needed here.. Tomorrow I will get a memory adapter to erase and install everything again -but I think a video will help people the best.. Thanks in advance !!
Sorry mate, I don't see any free time soon or spare material to put the installation on video.

bolsoncerrado
05-30-2016, 05:26 PM
In the current latest build version (1165), nanoDLP doesn't generate support. Better use meshmixer for support.
Otherwise, suggest it to shanon of nanoDLP on his forum (http://www.nanodlp.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=3) ;)

You mean to feed nanoDLP with a support-filled file then? Hmmm, i'll have to look into that. I guess Simplify3D supports are not the best for resin printers right?

As for nanoDLP it seems they're already working on it: http://www.nanodlp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=20

bolsoncerrado
05-30-2016, 05:33 PM
@woale did you create the "morpheus printer" on MeshMixer? Mind sharing the settings? :D

woale
05-31-2016, 05:52 AM
@woale did you create the "morpheus printer" on MeshMixer? Mind sharing the settings? :D
My meshmixer is still on the default replicator2 platform. I don't recall having to set any specific settings. :confused:

bolsoncerrado
05-31-2016, 10:27 AM
OK I now have the nanoDLP up and working with the Morpheus, at least Z moves up and down.

QUestion: is the PROJECTORS tab supposed to work? I hit on Display the different patterns but nothing appears on the monitor. Is that normal? I'm connecting using HDMI obiously, but the Projector settings on nanoDLP is set to Disabled rather than HDMI code on/off.

woale
05-31-2016, 12:25 PM
QUestion: is the PROJECTORS tab supposed to work? I hit on Display the different patterns but nothing appears on the monitor. Is that normal? I'm connecting using HDMI obiously, but the Projector settings on nanoDLP is set to Disabled rather than HDMI code on/off.
Indeed, the calibration patterns are expected to be shown on the Morpheus screen. But, it's VERY hard to notice when the Morpheus UV light is off, hence try the GCode command "M106" in the terminal to activate the UV lights (hide your resin away ;) ). Then 'Display' a pattern in the 'Projector Calibration' tab. Afterwards, use Gcode command "M107" to put the UV lights off again.

The "Projector Control Type" setting (under Hardware Setup) can stay 'disabled'. It may become useful to put the Morpheus screen into an Energy Savings mode afterwards...

To be sure, did you manage to force the Morpheus Screen resolution in /boot/config.txt (see post #4 (http://www.print3dforum.com/showthread.php/740-nanoDLP-with-Mark-IV?p=32228&viewfull=1#post32228)) ?

acnow
06-08-2016, 04:26 AM
Just tried to drive the Morpheus LCD by RPi3 with nanoDLP, and it works!
The Pi found the Morpheus LCD as being an "HIF-HID1920X540H_" and runs as [HDMI CEA (16) RGB full 16:9], 1920x1080 @ 60.00Hz, progressive.

can you explain the process after you install the software?
1. Do I have to connect the raspberry pi to the laptop and the laptop to the printer and from the browser of the laptop I control the printing process?
2. How do I get the ip that you had in the explanation in the browser?
3. Let's say that I install the nanodlp software correctly and that I have everything in the browser.. Can I still send the files via the Workshop software to the 3d printer and see the printing process through the browser?
Thanks in advance!

woale
06-08-2016, 12:38 PM
can you explain the process after you install the software?
1. Do I have to connect the raspberry pi to the laptop and the laptop to the printer and from the browser of the laptop I control the printing process?
2. How do I get the ip that you had in the explanation in the browser?
3. Let's say that I install the nanodlp software correctly and that I have everything in the browser.. Can I still send the files via the Workshop software to the 3d printer and see the printing process through the browser?
Thanks in advance!
1. Once the RPi is connected to your router (over ethernet/wifi), then you can use a browser on any device (laptop, smartphone, tablet,...) on your local network to controle nanoDLP.
2. The IP can usually be found in the DHCP 'client list' of your router. Otherwise, http://www.nanodlp.com/dashboard may also detect the RPi with nanoDLP installed.
3. Any program which alows to export files in (binary) STL/SLC format, preferably with support structures.

bolsoncerrado
06-08-2016, 03:51 PM
You could also try stuff like a LAN scanner

http://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com/index2.php

Or something like that.

acnow
06-08-2016, 06:52 PM
1. Once the RPi is connected to your router (over ethernet/wifi), then you can use a browser on any device (laptop, smartphone, tablet,...) on your local network to controle nanoDLP.
2. The IP can usually be found in the DHCP 'client list' of your router. Otherwise, http://www.nanodlp.com/dashboard may also detect the RPi with nanoDLP installed.
3. Any program which alows to export files in (binary) STL/SLC format, preferably with support structures.
Thanks a lot @woale! I have now a better picture of what to do.
My other questions are in regard to raspberry pi installation inside the printer.. How did you do that?
Can you share any picture with the arrangement inside the printer? I would love to see how you connected the Raspberry pi there.. I noticed that "@angrypanda mentioned adding a camera to his raspberry pi.. This is for what purpose?

woale
06-08-2016, 07:18 PM
Still haven't decided on the exact location of the RPi inside the printer (as HDMI will need to exit somehow)... which is why my RPi is still running outside the printer for now. As for the RPi camera, nanoDLP allows to take still images during the printing process, just for monitoring purposes.

bolsoncerrado
06-08-2016, 07:36 PM
I'm. also interested in moving the rpi inside and adding a ir camera to it... I'm sure we'll be able to figure out something as there's plenty of space inside.

acnow
06-08-2016, 08:11 PM
Still haven't decided on the exact location of the RPi inside the printer (as HDMI will need to exit somehow)... which is why my RPi is still running outside the printer for now. As for the RPi camera, nanoDLP allows to take still images during the printing process, just for monitoring purposes.
Fantastic @woale! Ok.. let me see if I get it right. Do you have the raspberry pi connected to the printer via a hdmi cable.. and then you have the printer connected to the laptop via vg? or the laptop connected to the raspberry pi vi a usb? Thanks in advance!

woale
06-08-2016, 08:21 PM
Fantastic @woale! Ok.. let me see if I get it right. Do you have the raspberry pi connected to the printer via a hdmi cable.. and then you have the printer connected to the laptop via vg? or the laptop connected to the raspberry pi vi a usb? Thanks in advance!
Nope, the RPi is connected to the Morpheus LCD via HDMI and to the Morpheus Arduino via USB. That's it. NanoDLP site is then accessed from your local network.

AngryPanda
06-08-2016, 10:51 PM
@acnow, What @woale means is that you will no longer have a monitor to "look at" like the screen on the laptop you currently have attached to the Morpheus. Everything you see/use for the Nano software/settings will then be accessed via web browser once it's all setup... It has it's own web page built in. (Just like the NanoDLP demo that was posted previously in this thread. Then only differences is it will no longer be a "demo" because its now running on the Pi, on YOUR local network in your house. Once you get everything setup, to run a print you will access the web site of the Nano/Pi you setup and will print using that instead. (It takes the place of opening up CWS, loading a file, slicing, printing, etc..) You will just do in via Nano now.

(hope that helps!)

- - - Updated - - -

-----Just realized that I may have misunderstood @acnow's post/question.. looks like you already understood what I posted.. but I figure rather than delete it.. maybe it will help someone else.. *sorry @acnow*..
:eek:

acnow
06-09-2016, 12:14 AM
Nope, the RPi is connected to the Morpheus LCD via HDMI and to the Morpheus Arduino via USB. That's it. NanoDLP site is then accessed from your local network.

@woale.. I understand now why it didn't work the first time I installed the nanoDLP. I wonder where do you plug the usb cable from the Pi to the Morpheus Arduino? Any particular port there?

acnow
06-09-2016, 12:25 AM
@acnow, What @woale means is that you will no longer have a monitor to "look at" like the screen on the laptop you currently have attached to the Morpheus. Everything you see/use for the Nano software/settings will then be accessed via web browser once it's all setup... It has it's own web page built in. (Just like the NanoDLP demo that was posted previously in this thread. Then only differences is it will no longer be a "demo" because its now running on the Pi, on YOUR local network in your house. Once you get everything setup, to run a print you will access the web site of the Nano/Pi you setup and will print using that instead. (It takes the place of opening up CWS, loading a file, slicing, printing, etc..) You will just do in via Nano now.

(hope that helps!)

- - - Updated - - -

-----Just realized that I may have misunderstood @acnow's post/question.. looks like you already understood what I posted.. but I figure rather than delete it.. maybe it will help someone else.. *sorry @acnow*..
:eek:
thanks @angrypanda! The more clarification we post here the better it is. I want to create a video tutorial for everyone step by step once I understand everything. It is not an easy task to access the Raspberry Pi via putty for example -especially because there are so many tutorials out there and some of the them don't do it well...So, in order to be able to use the Raspberry Pi users need to:
1. access the Raspberry Pi via a web client such as putty. (and change a few settings there)
2. Connect the raspberry pi to the computer and arduino via hdmi and usb cable, and then
2. Run the commands that @woale explained at the beginning of this post via the command line
3. Setup settings according to the explanation of this topic thread
... there are others things that could be done such as using a camera to take pictures during the process (and that's what you are trying to accomplish -I can't wait for you to share your findings)

bolsoncerrado
06-09-2016, 08:29 AM
@acnow, the USB port is in between the ON/OFF swith and the ACPlug. Without it you can't control the printer either from a laptop or a raspberry, it's impossible you've managed to miss it! :D

acnow
06-09-2016, 12:17 PM
@acnow, the USB port is in between the ON/OFF swith and the ACPlug. Without it you can't control the printer either from a laptop or a raspberry, it's impossible you've managed to miss it! :D
true @bolsoncerrado :) thanks for the tip!! Do you have any picture? Or I wonder what's the name (model) or the arduino used in the Morpheous?

bolsoncerrado
06-09-2016, 08:30 PM
Probably an Arduino MEGA, @woale may assist here :D

woale
06-09-2016, 09:03 PM
Yep, a basic mega with a ramps running sprint.

acnow
07-13-2016, 10:28 PM
Probably an Arduino MEGA, @woale may assist here :D
Hi @bolsoncerrado.. I finally was able to hook the printer and raspberry pi.. I am currently trying to print the Vat Holder and when I click on preview layers on my browser the preview is in blank.. I am managing the Morpheus with the NanoDLP. Please, see below screenshot.. it reads "Plate#1 being processed" and it has been processing it for now 25 minutes.. If you click on Preview Layers.. still I can't see image for layer #1.. Is that something that you guys also face like this or how can I fix it?
PS: I just refreshed and it has already processed the layers but when I click on Preview Layers is still in dark blank screen.. Is that normal or do you guys see every layer?

bolsoncerrado
07-14-2016, 09:11 AM
No it does not sound normal. First page (clicking home) should display current printer status in real time (processing layer x,etc) and all black may mean the object you're slicing may be faulty. Try uploading it here and I'll give it a try. Or email it to me.

acnow
07-18-2016, 08:42 PM
No it does not sound normal. First page (clicking home) should display current printer status in real time (processing layer x,etc) and all black may mean the object you're slicing may be faulty. Try uploading it here and I'll give it a try. Or email it to me.
Any advice on this??
Thanks @bolsoncerrado! The file I used was @woale Vat Holder file from thingverse here http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1520741 (which I downloaded and just opened with NanoDLP) -The file was not printing at that moment I took the screenshot.. I thought if you clicked on "preview" layer you should be able to preview layers before printing it. Please, let me know what you think. I can't wait to print this. Thanks again!

bolsoncerrado
07-19-2016, 07:55 AM
Just asking: did you install latest version of nanodlp yet?

acnow
07-19-2016, 04:35 PM
Just asking: did you install latest version of nanodlp yet?

I installed this :
(wget http://www.nanodlp.com/nanodlp.tar.gz -O - | tar -C /home/pi -xz);cd /home/pi/printer;sudo ./setup.sh (I think this one is supposed to install the latest update)
and before I did the installation I wrote on the configure file:
disable_overscan=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_drive=2
hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=31

bolsoncerrado
07-20-2016, 07:34 AM
Yeah im sure you installed it right. Question here is WHICH version. You have it on the upper right hand, where it reads Build#xxxxx

acnow
07-21-2016, 02:37 AM
Yeah im sure you installed it right. Question here is WHICH version. You have it on the upper right hand, where it reads Build#xxxxx
@bolsoncerrado .. the build is 1187..is that the latest one?

AngryPanda
09-15-2016, 05:20 AM
Hi All!

I finally had a chance to start playing with this. I hooked up my Pi3 and loaded Nano. (latest build 1209). Pretty simple to load! I'm still going through all of the Nano settings to get the Mark IV printing on it. (Just started yesterday.)

I have put my SuperVat (mini) on hold for a bit as I have to share the Morpheus Print room with my son..(It's his bedroom...lol.. The Morpheus just took it over while he was gone..)..

So I'll eventually get back to that.. but for now I can play with the Pi3 and Nano.. wish me luck!

AP

bolsoncerrado
09-15-2016, 09:00 AM
PI+Nano works like a charm ;)

GO for it! :D

AngryPanda
09-15-2016, 06:53 PM
@bolsoncerrado, I've hooked up everything up and am going through each page now for setup. I've also included the camera and enabled it. I can manually take a photo but it never shows on the dash.. It says it's taking it, and if I go to the Pi folder where it keeps them, I can see all the photos I've taken, (manually, havent printed anything with this setup yet..) but no photo shows up on the dashboard.. Am I missing something? Or does it only show the last photo IF AND WHEN it's printing something?..

This is fun!!

bolsoncerrado
09-16-2016, 09:09 AM
I think that's the case, yes :/

AngryPanda
09-17-2016, 07:58 PM
@all-nanodlp'ers here lol.

So I have all my stuff hooked up and I'm running all of my tests prior to wasting any resin. I have a question for y'all; when running a test print, everything seems to work fine with each slice, except.. when Z/build plate is coming back down after each slice/lift, it seems to load the next slice image on screen and the UV LEDs turn back on before the plate even gets all the way back down. I know that is going to cause me problems with curing/sticking once I add resin.
Not sure how to the LED's to turn on AFTER the plate has returned back down.

Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bolsoncerrado
09-19-2016, 09:41 AM
Raspi3: I had the similar issues, then switched back to Raspi2 and the problems were gone :??

karthik.pdy
02-22-2017, 11:47 AM
hi, how to define the setting for top down printing.

PhilM
03-13-2017, 06:50 PM

So I have all my stuff hooked up and I'm running all of my tests prior to wasting any resin. I have a question for y'all; when running a test print, everything seems to work fine with each slice, except.. when Z/build plate is coming back down after each slice/lift, it seems to load the next slice image on screen and the UV LEDs turn back on before the plate even gets all the way back down. I know that is going to cause me problems with curing/sticking once I add resin.

Any ideas?

Did you get this resolved ??
Best guess based upon what ive read recently is that the ramps board sends the "OK" command back to to raspi/ NanoDLP when it has received the command (into its buffer) rather than when it has executed the command. You might want to try putting a delay in there to account for the amount of time its take you machine to return from a lift sequence.

karthik.pdy
04-29-2017, 12:19 PM

Any ideas?

Better I send my Machine profile, add and use it to slice..

vrogy
04-29-2017, 10:16 PM
Hello folks! My makerspace recently got a Morpheus donated, and a non-invasive modification like this sounds like a great idea- but where are the prints?

Anyone have some successful prints via nanoDLP to share?

bolsoncerrado
04-30-2017, 12:37 PM
I do plan to start posting successful prints after having replaced the LCD monitor (Finally! yay!)

So far i only have the quick test one i did with outdated resin sitting on my VAT for almost a year lol and it was still good to go!

http://i.imgur.com/lkbi6kD.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/6SoQjFn.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/MmrLaVx.jpg

sukhvir
05-01-2017, 10:33 AM
Nice one bolsoncerrado. How much did you pay for the replacement screen? Or did they just send a replacement? Has anyone managed to get hold of the kit to upgrade their Morpheus? I'm not getting much of a response from Team OWL about it.

bolsoncerrado
05-01-2017, 02:06 PM
I'm sending the faulty one back. They sent as replacement. Nveer heard back from the upgrade parts either :(

vrogy
05-10-2017, 01:05 AM
Awesome, thanks! It looks like our screen is borked, too. Good to know they'll replace it.

edit: Just kidding, it was a loose wire!