PDA

View Full Version : Setting up my Morpheus

Jao
04-16-2016, 11:24 AM
Hey Guys

I've decided to try and set up my Morpheus after it almost became a shoe rack from standing around in my workshop for over a month now. I'll post pictures as I go. If anyone sees that I'm doing anything wrong, please let me know.

My experience with 3D printing is limited to an Ultimaker 2 before this big red beast, so it's all new to me.

Some questions:

The piece with all the UV lights. I plugged in the two wires and it just stands loose on a little platform inside the machine, no mechanical connection.

Same with the screen, it plugs in with one wire and slides into position, no mechanical connection.

Creation Workshop questions:

Is there a Morpheus machine profile somewhere that I can download and load into CW, or do you leave it on default which is called NullMachine.

Or can you guys please give me the configuration settings that you are using.

Did you guys buy CW or are you on subscription? Is it worth $495?

So next step is to plug all the wires into the computer?

Do I need to plug both the VGA and the HDMI cables in, or just the HDMI?

Thank you in advance for helping!

Best

J

bolsoncerrado
04-17-2016, 11:59 AM
TOW advised to use VGA wire just because of the screws security it gives but any of the two will work fine, depends on the computer you attach the Morpheus to.

Whenever you have it ready you may want to consider upgrading your system to use a Raspi3 instead of having to burn your PC screen all the time while the printer is on ;)

As for CWS I think we all use the same "free" version before it went "commercial".

You need to specify certain amount of settings, I dont have them handy right now so if anyone is able to help, otherwise I'll try to post them tomorrow or so.

noovi
04-18-2016, 02:53 AM
I'm in the same boat and would love some clarification about the attachment of the LEDs and LCD to the frame. How many notches does the LED platform need to be down and is there anything extra we need to do to secure it down? My LED platform had a screw that came loose during shipping so I'm not sure how high or low it needs to be.

Jao
04-20-2016, 08:29 AM
Thanks Bolsoncerrado! I wouldn't know where to start with a Raspi3 upgrade. You need programming and electronic skills for something like that don't you?

I would really appreciate it if you or any other member with a working Morpheus could share a screenshot of your CW settings.

J

bolsoncerrado
04-20-2016, 08:40 AM
You just need a Raspberry 3 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CD5VC92/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B01CD5VC92&linkCode=as2&tag=e0702-20&linkId=D3D6NQKAYRTTJGV2), a microSD card (http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=as_li_qf_sp_sr_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&index=aps&keywords=microsd&linkCode=ur2&tag=e0702-20&linkId=SGPWTWDGG6RYO3N2), a HDMI cable (http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=as_li_qf_sp_sr_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&index=aps&keywords=hdmi%20cable&linkCode=ur2&tag=e0702-20&linkId=PT65R3FLYLDMAGKC) and follow this thread (http://www.print3dforum.com/showthread.php/740-nanoDLP-with-Mark-IV) ;)

I'd personally forget about CWS... I'm moving to nanoDLP soon!

Jao
04-20-2016, 12:36 PM
Bolson, I have to try just to get it working first at least before modding it. But it sounds cool!

- - - Updated - - -

So I plugged it all in, found the settings for CW on TOW video on Youtube and got it running, but the UV lights don't switch on or engage at all. I stuck a small light in the back and the screen works perfectly to display the slices, but no UV light at all.

Is there another switch somewhere that I missed, maybe inside?

J

bolsoncerrado
04-20-2016, 03:13 PM
Just be sure the UV lights panel is securely connected with correct polarity, the HDMI/VGA cable is tighten, the computer is recognizing BOTH monitors and that you EXTEND the Desktop to both.

Jao
04-20-2016, 05:09 PM
Re-plugged it all. The UV lights panel's 2 cables only fit in one specific way. The monitors are functioning correctly and the up/down mechanism works perfectly.

It's just the UV lights. They flash for an instant when I switch the machine on, but nothing else. Did you guys get any special drivers or anything? Did they change anything
with the wiring inside when you got your installations?

Is there anyone here who got their Morpheus working by themselves or are the only working machines the ones that were installed by TOW?

bolsoncerrado
04-20-2016, 05:19 PM
The only "drivers" I got installed were the Arduino ones... If you control the motors then your arduino is already working fine too.

Still sounds like a software issue to me hmmmm....

Post screenshots of your settings, may be we are missing something else!

Jao
04-20-2016, 06:34 PM
I hope it's just a software issue. The only thing that seems strange to me is the Projector Control "Configure Port" setting.
The only choice I get is COM3 which is used by my system's bluetooth device, COM4 used by Arduino and COM6 which doesn't make any difference either.

Running on Windows 10

Jao
04-20-2016, 07:50 PM
I'm in the same boat and would love some clarification about the attachment of the LEDs and LCD to the frame. How many notches does the LED platform need to be down and is there anything extra we need to do to secure it down? My LED platform had a screw that came loose during shipping so I'm not sure how high or low it needs to be.

Hi Noovi

My UV light platform is 6 notches down.

Does your machine work?

sukhvir
04-20-2016, 11:12 PM
@Jao, did you add the extra lines of GCode to the configuration? These turn the LED panels on and off.

Jao
04-21-2016, 05:18 AM
Hi Sukhvir. Lines of Gcode missing? Nope it's the first I hear of it. Makes a lot os sense.

Are there instructions somewhere that I missed? Please tell me how to add the Gcode. I am a completely programming illiterate.

This is super cool! It means I may get it working today!

sukhvir
04-21-2016, 07:17 AM
Hi Jao. It's in the videos that TOW should have sent. Go to Configure, then Configure Slicing Profile, click on GCode on the left hand side, then make sure your code s the same as in these photos.. Good luck.

Jao
04-21-2016, 08:03 AM
Sukhvir! You are a rockstar! Thank you so much! It's all working!
TOW never sent me any videos.

Gonna try print something today. YAY!

bolsoncerrado
04-21-2016, 08:19 AM
Was about to mention the Gcode missing, yep! Great! ;)

Jao
04-23-2016, 11:37 AM
SUCCESS!!!!!

I got my first print out!

I used Sukhvir's suggested settings for the FTD resin and it came out cool, well after trying 4 times. The non printing areas on the screen also formed a layer
on every try. The screen still bleeds UV light through and it's a real pain to clean in between. So I made a simple cardboard stencil to block it all out.

My piece of film had a sticker on it that said "up" on the one side, so I installed it with the sticker side up. Well the sticker was on the wrong side and I almost destroyed
the film trying to remove the first exposure test. Luckily it still works but it is a bit warped.

Any idea where to get more? Or what kind of film it is?

Thanks again for all your input Sukhvir and Bolson!

J

sukhvir
04-23-2016, 12:10 PM
Great news Jao and congratulations on your successful print. Firstly, your screen should not be bleeding any light - there must be some configuration issue. It could be that the mask is set to a grey colour, rather than black. In CW, go to File->Preferences, then look at the colour you have set for the background. The foreground should be white and the background should be black. If this doesn't work contact TOW, who should also be able to supply you with an extra film. Where do you stay?

The cardboard cutout is going to cause an issue - it may be good for single prints, however you are creating a gap between the screen and the film, which is why I recommended removing the metal cover from the screen.