PDA

View Full Version : The Cube 3 WIFI thread

TommyDee
03-08-2017, 06:59 PM
Anyone else finding the Cube 3 WIFI lacking?

To date, I haven't had too much trouble connecting to a Cube 3.
With the 3rd replacement white printer, however, I have a problem that went away for a long time and somehow came back.

If I connect the WIFI to my router, it use to come in at 169.254.1.1 This address cannot be found on my network.
When it does work, the address is always 192.168.x.x.

Something changed in the last few days and my wife swears she did nothing... but when she connects to Facebook Messenger with her Samsung phone, the app errors on my computer during a print, and the printer changes its address to the 169.254... address. While she is on Messenger, I have no WIFI ot the printer. As soon as she turns off the phone, it recovers.

I know I have an old router, but what the hey! What in the world would have caused this out of the blue?

Mythandar
03-09-2017, 02:12 AM
A 169 ip address is the default address a network adapter will give itself if it's set to automatically get an ip address but isn't able to, or isn't given one by whatever device it's trying to connect to. Or if it loses the connection to a device. This usually means a network issue, as you've noticed.

Is it the printer that's losing the ip address from the router, or your computer. If it's the printer you should be able to see the wifi connection icon with it's bars of connection, and if the phone is causing it to lose connection then there will be exclamation(!) over it. You should be able to do the same with your computer. Important to narrow down the issue and see exactly what's affected.

MegaloDon
03-09-2017, 02:43 AM
Is your computer's network interface set to automatic? And is your router set up as a DHCP server? If you have a DHCP server, it assigns IP addresses to all devices that are set for automatic and you won't have any conflicts. If not, you could have 2 devices trying to use the same IP and it will cause an IP address conflict.

TommyDee
03-09-2017, 03:01 AM
Google doesn't translate that kind of Greek!

Computer is hardwired.

It is the printer that gets booted which fails the Cubify app on my computer, which freaks Cubify out and it stops working.
When my wife closes messenger, not turned off the phone, the printer came back to the findable address.

What you said, Don, makes some sense, because the printer will log onto an outside network in a heartbeat.
In this case, you are suggesting that the printer is getting booted from a specific 192.168.x.x address.

I am running a standard plug and play wireless/wired router on a cable modem. Nothing is managed by me. I just know the router password.
no fancy home networks or anything like that.

And it has been behaving for over 6 months now and it just started, consistently, 2 days ago.
Messenger is not a red hearing.

MegaloDon
03-09-2017, 03:28 AM
Google doesn't translate that kind of Greek!

Now you know how I feel when you talk that engineering Greek! LOL

What Mythandar is referring to is that if a device is set to automatic, and it cannot find a DHCP server, it will set itself to a 169.254.x.x address. You should never have any devices (including your printers) with a 169.254 address. This is not good because it doesn't know if there is another device on the network with the same address. DHCP resolves this issue by assigning IP's to each device, and it knows what they all are. By default, your router should be set up as a DHCP server. Can you log into your router and check the settings? Probably 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.0.254. Some use 1 as the last octet instead of 254.

TommyDee
03-09-2017, 06:40 AM
My router has a permanent password error.

We have talked about how pervasive the connectivity of the cube itself is.
The router it finds by default is not mine. And Ad-Hoc always assigns this address.
I have no doubt it will reach outside my network to connect, but will resolve back to my internal network when things "settle".

But I have a theory... The release of the WikiLeaks was a couple of days ago.
I'm sure every device on a network is getting a much closer look.
That could trigger some alarms internally.