Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like

Cube Print Temperature Modifier *beta*

What it does :
    This program will allow you to modify the temperatures in a file made by cube print so that it's easier to use other filaments. Hopefully, this will open up the possibilities a little bit for anyone who doesn't use an alternate slicer.

How it Works:
    As most of us know, the cube 3 uses a style of gcode called BFB. It is further complicated because once this .bfb code is generated, they encode it and we end up with a .cube3 file once CubePrint is all done. On it's own, we have the tools to decode a .cube3 file and get the .bfb so it can be modified. They then take the .cube3 and put stuff in the file for the small image of the print that displays on the screen, this extra info breaks our decoder. Sometimes it would work, but most of the time it would fail to decode.

CubePrint creates a directory and makes the .cube3, then moves it out, applies the image and gives you the final .cube3 that we can't work with. This program creates that directory with access permissions that only allow stuff to be written to it, not removed from it. When it tries to remove the file from this directory, it fails and gives an error. But the .cube3 file has been made that allows us to decode it, modify it, and re-encode it.

This program will hopefully make this as seamless as possible. There are a few steps involved and a few restrictions but has worked for me just fine.

Whats needed:
    1- To work properly it needs to be pointed at the /Local/Cubify/PrintFiles directory. This is different from the actual CubePrint directory. It will try and find it, but if it doesn't then you will need to point it at the right directory. I don't know if it will find it on non-english versions of windows, let me know.

2- You will have to have a thumb drive to transfer the new .cube3 file to the printer so you can print it. The file that's made isn't recognized by CubePrint so we can't transfer it using WiFi.

Steps:
    The steps are fairly straight foreward, you have to go through them in order and it keeps the next steps greyed out.

Pre-Step:
    Select if your using a PLA or ABS cartridge/chip and the temps you want. PLA uses 2 temps, one for the first layer, and another for the second. So you can set them to be the same, or different. ABS will only take one temp setting.

It's important to note that your selecting what cart/chip is in the cube, not the filament you might be using. It doesn't change enough of the temps in the .bfb for abs filament loaded into a pla cart/chip to work properly, it'll probably jam.

It changes the temps for both the left and right nozzles. FYI!

Step 1:

Select a save Directory and make sure the Cubify directory is set. The next steps wont work right if something isn't setup right and should tell you. When this is all set, click step 1's button. Create Directory. This creates the directory we need in the cubify/printfiles directory with the permissions we need.

cube modifier tool.jpg

Step 2:
    For this step, go through CubePrint and build your file as normal. The only exception is that you'll choose "Save to File".

save to file.jpg

If the directory was created properly, this will fail.

print failed.jpg

That's what we want to see, if you get the screen that asks you to choose where to save your file, then something didn't work. Sometimes the directory doesn't get created as needed, just click Create Directory again, and try this part again.

If you see the error then click the Copy file button (step 2). This will change the permissions back to normal and copy the file to your save directory.

Step 3:
    Click Convert. This will convert the .cube3 into the .bfb.

Step 4:
    Click Change Temp. This will just change a few of the temperature settings in the .bfb to what you selected.

Step 5:
    Click Encode. It'll encode the .bfb back into a .cube3 with the name changed to -modified at the end. Now transfer this file to your thumbdrive and print it on your cube. You can monitor the temperature your cube goes to by using CubePrint.

Hope someone finds it useful. There are a few features I'd like to add but I never have the time to work on it.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

New Features in 0.2 :

• Added the ability to open a previously captured .cube3 file and modify it again, prevents you from going through the more time consuming steps over again for the same file.
    • Added the ability to modify the retraction settings. You can go up to 120% of the default retraction values and down to 0%. I recommend changing both settings to the same % until this is tested more

New in 0.3:

• Added error message if the .bfb isn't created properly
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Mythandar; 09-04-2017 at 07:21 AM.

2. Thanks bolsoncerrado thanked for this post
    Likes TommyDee, bolsoncerrado liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was onsidering getting a few of these:

https://www.amazon.es/vovotrade-Wate...X5679WHKZDT2FM

to leave them permanently attached to the Cube (not glued, just so small they are almost invisible ) with the .cube3 "commands" like an extension of the firmware/menus on the Cube...

Wdy think?

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Connect a Pi3 to the other USB port and have it snoop around

Post Thanks / Like
    duH!? connect how? I mean I know the physical plug, whats next? ssh?

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can you run windows 10 on Pi3 or is there a 3D Builder app for Pi3? I guess that's Android?

- - - - - - - - - -

Technically, the printer is a specific device. If you know how to hack devices from their USB port, you can go to town.
    I still think that the communication layer and the proprietary hardware layer are superfluous.
    There is a hardware layer that we should be able to hack into with some hardware and a real brain.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is a Windows 10 version for the Pi3 but it's not great. The Pi is an ARM processor and "built" for Linux based distributions. All of the official Raspberry Pi OSes are Linux variants. There was an android port but it's so slow it's not worth it

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it meets 3D Builder's OpenGL requirement, it may run.
    We have 3DS drivers for that -and- their ABS implementation with their rafts is quite nice!
    And you can remote your workstation. Talk about standalone

I have the Lenovo YogaBook in the Windows 10 version. It handles 3D Builder nicely.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is 3DBuilder able to do once communicating with the Cube?

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Set up a print plate and send it to the 3DS print spooler.
    You can also save the build plate, but not the print settings.
    And the print settings in the 3DS driver lie.

The driver implementation requires physical handshaking with the printer.
    Otherwise it defaults to a garbled RAW print file.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    PETG on the Cube 3!!
    http://www.print3dforum.com/showthre...ll=1#post41792

- - - - - - - - - -

More results in PETG.
    http://www.print3dforum.com/showthre...ll=1#post41767

- - - - - - - - - -

Does this work with dual color as well?