Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nykr95 View Post
    OK thanks will do that - here are the pics
    Did you remove the support?

Support.jpg

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh that helps - much better. Didn't realize that was a support - it was hard to remove.

Thanks

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh that helps - much better. Didn't realize that was a support - it was hard to remove.

Thanks
    Does it fit now or did you still have to sand it?

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaloDon View Post
    Does it fit now or did you still have to sand it?
    It fits but very snug. I don't have the spring yet so I don't want shove it all the way in yet.

Another question I drilled the fitting hole for the filament. So that's fine now. I have standard RepRap PTFE fittings I got on Amazon a while back. They come with 4mm PTFE tubing but the thread itself is amount 5.25mm according to my measurements. What size is the hole designed for? That doesn't seem to fit - should I expand it and then try to screw it in?

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    It fits but very snug. I don't have the spring yet so I don't want shove it all the way in yet.
    It shouldn't be too snug. It needs to move freely for the spring to work properly. Based on your picture, it looks like one side is bulging a little. Is it perfectly round? If not, just sand the one side that is bulging.

I have standard RepRap PTFE fittings I got on Amazon a while back. They come with 4mm PTFE tubing but the thread itself is amount 5.25mm according to my measurements. What size is the hole designed for? That doesn't seem to fit - should I expand it and then try to screw it in?
    The thread is made for M5 fittings (5 mm). Do you have M6 fittings?

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yup - M6

Another question what size PTFE outer tubing are you using? I assume the 3mm inner tubing needs to fit inside it - correct? - or do you just use the 3mm?

I don't think you mention the recommended size of the fittings - a complete part list and brief instructions might be helpful to others.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yup - M6

Another question what size PTFE outer tubing are you using? I assume the 3mm inner tubing needs to fit inside it - correct? - or do you just use the 3mm?

I don't think you mention the recommended size of the fittings - a complete part list and brief instructions might be helpful to others.
    I can make a M6 version for you later. Not sure when I will get the time but probably soon.

I'm using 4 mm OD tubing. The only place I am using the original 3 mm tubing is in the metal extruder from the original cartridge (and in the print head). The 4 mm and 3 mm tubing never come in contact with each other.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi!

I tried it without a fitting and got it working. Let me know when you have the M6 Version. It kind of makes squeak each time it pulls the filament from the roll - coming from the bottom of the extruder opening. I am still using the original tubing on the top to the hot end.

The chip holder was a bit squirrly - I used the spring from another hot end - it kind of works. The chips did not fit - I had to shave some plastic off the holder.

The filament loading worked pretty well.

How do you unload the filament? Do you take the hub off and pull once the head is warmed?

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    How do you unload the filament? Do you take the hub off and pull once the head is warmed?
    There are different ways of doing it. I never take the hub off. I cut the filament just below the hub and then set it to purge. As soon as it starts oozing from the nozzle, I disconnect the tube from the quick connect at the print head and pull it all the way out (pulling the filament out of the nozzle). Be careful you don't let the filament hit the fan! I let it finish the purge which will drive the filament out of the hub. After it says cooling down, you can pull the filament all the way out from the top. Then put the tube back in the fitting.

Some people might think this is a waste of filament but I don't like reusing the filament with teeth marks in it. It can be problematic.