Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Nozzle not far enough down...

Hello (my first post)!

Last week I got my Cube 3... I know i know, I'm very late to the party. But it was so cheap, and I have been wanting to 3D print for a while. Had some concerns about the filament, because there is no way I'm buying them $62 + shipping a pop. I had already googled and seen you guys modifying the cube to take other filaments so I was hoping to do the same.

So yesterday I picked the cartridge a part, put thru the other filament after removing the old from the tubing and nozzle (had to open that, the plastic at the nozzle). I put everything back in place and made a test print. Some goo later and it was printing. BUT; the print came out distorted, and I quickly noticed that the tip of the nozzle no longer was visible as before. Before I took it apart I could just see the tip of the nozzle sticking out under the extruder container thingy. Now its not. I guess I have to pick the nozzle apart again and see if I could adjust the spring or whatever, but does anyone have any tips?

Could this be solved by simply doing a gap adjustment? The tip of the nozzle has to at least come out just a little bit. And how does the auto gap adjustment work? Because it wont work here, it starts the procedure and immediately states there is glue on the build table. There is no glue, I have rinsed the plate many many many times. Would build paper/tape not work? What is the optimal distance, a thin piece of paper (I dont have the gap thingy)?

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    the nut on the extruder must have been moved. MegaloDon made an adjustment file to fix that issue. if no-one else posts about it, I will find it later at work and repost with the correct post.

gap adjustment could be done with a regular sheet of paper if you don't have the gap thingy!

found it!- http://www.print3dforum.com/showthre...Color-Printing
    Last edited by ztoddman1; 08-10-2017 at 12:46 AM.

3. Thanks _Lars_ thanked for this post
    Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ztoddman1 View Post
    TommyDee made an adjustment file to fix that issue.
    That was actually me.

TommyDee had the idea to make the adjustment and I designed it. He later redesigned it to have rounded corners.

5. Thanks _Lars_ thanked for this post
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    apologies. have corrected it- great file, yet another one wanting to print when mine gets working!
    Last edited by ztoddman1; 08-10-2017 at 12:46 AM.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    You probably put the spring inside the nozzle on the wrong side. The spring goes above the round retainer thingy, not below it.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythandar View Post
    You probably put the spring inside the nozzle on the wrong side. The spring goes above the round retainer thingy, not below it.
    Ha, I didn't think of that! That would certainly do it.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    duh, me too. this third shift is getting to me!

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythandar View Post
    You beat me too it M... I was thinking that as I was trying to freakin' log into the forum from the airport. Yea right!

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all your feedback! I'm gonna print out that adjustment thingy MegaloDon! However, I managed to solve my problem... the (g*d damn) cap was loose! There is a black cap that the nozzle sticks out of when installed, which you can remove for maintenance. For me it was partly loose so it looked like the nozzle was not properly installed.

After solving that I was happy that I could print out the test print with the new filament. The 3DS filament feels a bit softer to the touch so I'm guessing I could use some higher temperature. I'll keep experimenting with different PLA manufacturers available for me to se if there is PLA that has the same characteristic that of the original one. Size is one thing, I'm using 1.75, but I guess there is also a variance in temperature (very small) to optimize the print.

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lars, vividness is a key 3DS filament feature. We have a filament thread here in the cube 3 section. Feel free to add your experiences. I'll link up a good review!