Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like

Cube 3 Wiper Blade Cookie Cutter (WIP)

Cutter.JPG

Cutting wiper blades from silicon sheets with an X-acto knife is fairly difficult. I kept cutting a little too far and ruining the piece. So I decided to try and make a cookie cutter.

The video shows me assembling it using an aluminum beer can which worked for one cut. The next cut I attempted bent the metal and ruined it.

I tried again with a tin soup can (shown in the image above) and this works much better. It was a lot more difficult to assemble though. I had to put it on the base and make slight bends, then take it off and bend it with needle nose pliers. Repeat over and over.

The tin piece needs to be 10 mm x 46 mm. I used a file and sand paper to clean the edges and sharpen one side. A Dremel should work for this too.

BE CAREFUL!! SHARP EDGES!!

You need a tin can (and something to cut it with) and 4 screws.
    Screw.JPG
    #4 x 3/8 - 11.7mm x 2.8mm (x4)

I haven't worked out how to make the hole in it yet. If anyone has an idea or can make something for this, please do.

Download the files here >>> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6...Fo2al9pZldLOW8

2. Thanks bolsoncerrado thanked for this post
    Likes ztoddman1, bolsoncerrado liked this post
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice!! This idea crossed my kind but couldn't grasp of how to do it. Me brain had way too many irons in the fire.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ztoddman1 View Post
    Me brain had way too many irons in the fire.
    Yeah I have the same problem. But sometimes I manage to focus on one thing long enough to get an idea out.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not me! But brainstorm- get a square tube, cut at angle, sharpen the edges like you did with the tin can, design a block that the silicone wiper can fit perfectly in. Almost like a hole punch. Somehow incorporate a 2 piece form like u did with the nut on the hot end.
    What the hell did I say? I can sketch something to give u an idea of what my mush is thinking.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can sketch something to give u an idea
    Please do! My brain hurts.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh snap, called me out on it.
    lemme draw it up real quick.

- - - - - - - - - -

ok, a VERY VERY quick sketch using tinkered and then to thingiverse. not intended to have accurate dimensions just to get the general gist. the square tube would be brass or aluminum sharpened.
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2522893

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not there. Did you publish it and make it public?

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heck no but it is now

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Something like this?
    https://www.grainger.com/product/48KU50

- - - - - - - - - -

This could be incorporated into my design if it didn't have the angle cut. The length would be very critical though and it would be harder to cut because it doesn't have the other half to press it into.

On the other hand, mine could be modified to have another half to make it easier to cut. It would require a guide to make sure the 2 halves line up (like a hole punch) and your idea could be incorporated (with the angle cut). I think you should take mine and combine it with your idea and design it yourself. I think this might be a better solution. And I would like to see other people involved in the design process.
    Last edited by MegaloDon; 09-10-2017 at 06:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Holy Moly! Good job man!