Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting reading (on the Cube3 hack)

ReCube: Story of Cube3 hack part 2

Further hacking work went to step were I had to find how firmware uses cartridges memories. So I check possible text outputs and I have found:

Especially this one: “UpdateCartridgeQntCheckPresent: eWriteCartridgeStatus=%i” was very promising. Actually all this logs was also visible via UART terminal.

So when I went to function which called this log file, I was sure that one of the called functions there do a memory writing magic:

To understand how reading and writing to secured memory is working I read carefully (few times ) documentation for DS1963S:

It was very hard but crucial to find all responsible functions used during writing of current quantity. Generally printer is using 2 banks of cartridge memory, both have 32 bytes length. Bank 0 consist information about material type, material color and max amount of cartridge. All of this information is additionally secured with special checksum. Bank 1 have only information about current quantity status.

It took me around 1 month to find how to read cartridges memories, 1 week more to find how to write them and 2 month more to find how to calculate checksum. Finally I have constructed ReCube v1, special tool to “refill” Cube3 cartridges:

This small “stick” is based on Arduino Nano and is able to “refill” fully cartridge with just 1-click or much more via UART console. Some short movie showing enhanced possibilities of this device you can find here:

I decided to share Light version of this device and you can find it here: RecubeV1

In given zip you have all needed files, binaries together with KiCad project for PCB board and STL file for cover.

Read carefully Readme.txt file and if you like it do not forget to donate. Paypal Link: Tomuro

Here is schematic:

And part list:
    R1, R2 – 1k
    R3 – 100k
    R4 – 4,7k
    D3 – LSG_T670
    SW1 – micro, tact switch SMD 2,5 mm

http://www.haxtom.com/?p=33

2. Thanks Fuganater thanked for this post
    Likes Fuganater liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps someone tech oriented wanna do a mobo run here?

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    It really opens up the possibilities.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    From the readme:

"Light version offer you fill maximum possible value with just one click or set any percentage you like. Pro version offers additional setttings like: material type, material color, increase or decrease maximum material amount in cartridge."

I wonder how much the pro version costs.

Also:

3; - Get material type
    0 = PLA
    1 = ABS
    2 = NYLON
    3 = EKO
    5 = WUD
    6 = FLX
    7 = MET

Not sure what good it would do to change it to say NYLON because the Cube Print software doesn't have that option. If you wanted to print nylon with another slicer, you could just set the material type to PLA for example. It wouldn't matter to the Cube as long as it has a PLA chip in it. The temperature, etc. are set by the slicing program. This is how I printed PETG. I set it to ABS and had an ABS chip in the hub.

Not knocking it though. It would be nice to change from PLA to ABS or vice-versa.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I downloaded the light version and -had to- get an arduino nano clone, then I was going to assemble the suggested circuit but then I recalled I had a circuit of my own already for 1-wire so I hooked that one up instead. Voila! it works! spent a good part of the weekend 'reprogramming' some cartridges that I had at 0%, to a newly 98%(I told the software to put 99% but what the heck, 98 is just fine ) Tomuro is very responsive both via the blog and email.

7. Thanks bolsoncerrado, TommyDee thanked for this post
    Likes bolsoncerrado liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So you made the circuitry on a breadboard typeż

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iimac13 View Post
    Well, I downloaded the light version and -had to- get an arduino nano clone
    Will it only work with the Arduino Nano? I have an Arduino Uno and was wondering if it would work with that. I'm not worried about having a case or whatever for it. Once I program the chips I won't need it anymore. Also do you know what the difference is with the Pro version? Is it a hardware or software difference, or both?

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaloDon View Post
    Will it only work with the Arduino Nano? I have an Arduino Uno and was wondering if it would work with that. I'm not worried about having a case or whatever for it. Once I program the chips I won't need it anymore. Also do you know what the difference is with the Pro version? Is it a hardware or software difference, or both?
    You should be able to make it work with the Uno, but i think the pinouts are different. You may have to change the program so it calls for the needed pin properly. Of course you'd need to compile it for an uno. I think he just wanted to use a nice small arduino so the device is small and compact, and only needs the usb cord from the pc for it's power and data.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    You should be able to make it work with the Uno, = Yes
    but i think the pinouts are different. =No
    Of course you'd need to compile it for an uno. =No

Both use the Arduino 328 chip. The (PB5) SCK pin is the same on both, which is the 1-wire.
    I have a RPi Alamode with a 328 chip on it. Used Avrdude running on the RPi to program the 328. Then attached a FTDI to the Alamode
    as a stand alone to gain access via PUTTY, Serial Mode, breadboard to the DS28E01 chip.

The software works like a champ. If you program the chip, command "6", then follow with a command "7" with no arguments. It sets the
    chip value back to zero. This was confusing to me. But, then again I'm getting senile....

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    sadly I'm at work and can't see all the parts needed for this. I have a spare Uno at home and I'd love to try this out. I'll deff be back with questions.