Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Problem with new CR10 Z axis motor ?

Hi people
    I am a new user of the CR10, but have been printing 3D with a basic Da Vinci Mini w for some time.

I assembled the CR10,and all seemed well. It seems to be printing well so that is all good, BUT there is a problem that I noticed while watching some videos on Youtube, where warnings are given when for example, changing filament part way through a print on the CR10 is perfectly acceptable, but they give a warning - "DO NOT LEAN ON THE ARM WHILE CHANGING THE FILAMENT OR YOU WILL PROBABLY CHANGE THE Z AXIS POSITION"
    Quite reasonable I thought, but on my CR10, when I release all stepper motors, I can drag the bed AND I can LIFT the Z axis arm all the way to the top, BUT I CANNOT make it move downwards at all, no matter what I try to do.
    It moves down just fine under G Code command, but not to my heavy muscle power.
    Can anyone explain if this is normal, or what my problem may be ? I would be most grateful for a solution to this.

Post Thanks / Like
    You dont need to rely on muscle power to move Z. Just turn left or right the couplers at your will...

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bolsoncerrado View Post
    You dont need to rely on muscle power to move Z. Just turn left or right the couplers at your will...
    Not sure I understand your comment ? I want to be able to push it down manually as I have seen other CR10 users do, and mine will not let me do so ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Its not "safe" to "push" anything down. The whole X axis is moved by Z motors, which are used to TURN, not to be PUSHED UP or DOWN.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its not "safe" to "push" anything down. The whole X axis is moved by Z motors, which are used to TURN, not to be PUSHED UP or DOWN.
    Now I am really confused by your comment ? The CR10 has 3 separate stepper motors, one at the back that drives the Y axis, one at point on the cross bar for the Z axis is located that handles the X axis, and finally one at the bottom of the main upright frame that drives the Z axis. I would agree that the motor for tghe X axis control is indded mounted, and therefore reliant on the Z Axis motor's operation to an extent (vertically)

Equally, the Z axis is of course driven by a screw thread that rotates to lift the cross bar (on which the X axis stepper motor is mounted), but I return to my original point, every video I have watched on the CR10 (and other printers for that matter) shows people able to both lift and push down the Z axis against the screw thread pressure, and I can do so upwrds, BUT now Downwards, which is somewhat weird IMHO ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Did YOU try to move the whole X by turning left or right the Z couplers?!?

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did YOU try to move the whole X by turning left or right the Z couplers?!?
    Yes indeed, and the X axis bar moves up and down as we would both expect.

My original question still remains the same, why is oit that other with the CR10 can move the X axis bar down with just hand pressure on top of the bar, but I can only move it Upwards with that same hand pressure, not downwards? It just seems strange to me that my setup is not working as it appears that others setups work, which concerns me in that I may have something adjusted too loose or too tight somewhere inmmyassembly of the CR10 ?

That is why I am posing this question ? Does that make sense ?

Post Thanks / Like
    It somewhat does make sense, but the setup was never meant to be "pushed" anyway, so I'm not sure.... Do you experience bad prints anyway?

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    It somewhat does make sense, but the setup was never meant to be "pushed" anyway, so I'm not sure.... Do you experience bad prints anyway?
    I agree, but I would just like confirmation from other CR10 users that MY setup is correct, and that something is not overtightened or otherwise not adjusted correctly.

Post Thanks / Like
    "PERHAPS" you have one of the threaded rods slighly curved and it makes pressure against X. Did you try unscrewing the top retainer bearing and see if anything improves?