Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

3d print plate remplacement with glass

Hello,

just a quick question please, can we remplace the print plate of a cube 3 printer with glass please?

Post Thanks / Like
    @TommyDee did! He'll be your master today

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    With a couple of warnings, yes, you can.

Warning one: not all borosilicate plates are truly flat.

Warning two: learn to set the calibration so you do not crash your new glass plate.

I purchased 2 of these and they are nice and flat and perfectly sized for the Cube 3

https://www.ebay.com/itm/170mm-x-170...0AAOSw9GhYbszu

Next, buy one of many N42 or N52 3/4" neodymium magnets, anywhere from 3/32"-1/8" thick.
    Stock magnets are N42 x 3/32" thick x 3/4" round. You can always use your stock magnets out of the original build plate.

Warning three: these magnets will slam together easily and they will break easily. You've been warned.

I used Shoe-Goo to mount the magnets. This works nicely because you can easily change your mind.
    Any adhesive should work.

About plate crash... SET UP THE DEFAULT DEPTH TO ACCONT FOR THE ADDITIONAL THICKNESS IN "MAINTENACE"!
    This is important.

When I put the magnets on the glass, I used magnets on top to help squish the adhesive evenly.
    This helps is you have multiple build plates by keeping them parallel.

And a bonus is that B-glass really likes holding the cube glue. Your part comes off clean and the glue remains on the plate.
    Just wet it and let it dry, and you have a fresh smooth glue surface.

more references:
    http://www.print3dforum.com/showthre...ll=1#post40528
    Last edited by TommyDee; 10-21-2017 at 01:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    For the flatness thing you may wanna try mirrors. If they're not flat they cant be marketed as that lol

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Safety glass! Borosilicate is safety glass. It is the firing process to make it safe that introduces wrinkles.
    Lab grade is normally better controlled or it goes through a post-fire process.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    Safety glass! Borosilicate is safety glass. It is the firing process to make it safe that introduces wrinkles.
    Lab grade is normally better controlled or it goes through a post-fire process.
    Thank you so much for all your response and all your warnings , i will try it and let's you now

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum, mindah.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi tommy,
    so i have been searching for the borosilicate glasses and i didńt find it anywhere.
    the problem is that i can use ebay or online website stuff in my country (yes there some countries where we don't get stuff from the net easily).
    So i was wondering if i can use normal glasses ? And what are the risks with that.
    Also i have Removed the White thing from my original bed, can i Just use some glue and put the glasse on it ?

Thank you so much for your time.

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not using safety glass is very risky if not outright dangerous.
    Adhering glass to the original tape/glue makes it a little less so, but the magnet voids could still be problematic.

What I might suggest is contacting Go-3D and see if you can arrange other means of payment outside of eBay.
    Just contact the seller and see if they are amiable to do this and if they will ship to your country.

Also, do you have glass manufacturers near you?
    It may be possible to find the right glass at a place that can cut it to size.

You could also just put LokBuild straight on the plate to.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi tommy,
    thanks for the reply. so i made some glass shopping 😂 i found only heat-tempered glass !do you think that itīs good enough ?