Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Having under extrusion problems (extruder clicking)

I've had my CR-10 for about about 7 months now, made a few modifications (Print Bite on the bed, fan upgrades, dual z-axis motors and screws, E3D Volcano hot end, extra bracing, etc.) but just the other day my print quality went from great to totally in the toilet all of a sudden (from one print to the next). I am having layer separation from poor quality extrusion, the extruder works fine for awhile then clicks erratically. Sometimes a lot, other times not much at all. I've tried replacing the extruder hobbed wheel, changing out the Bowden tube and the entire hot end. Historically I've been printing PLA at 200 with a bed temperature of 65 for months with no issues. The Print Bite is awesome when it cools down and the parts lift right off.

I'm printing at a higher temperature now (210) but it hasn't made a difference so far. I've cleaned the nozzle (it is only about 2 weeks old) which came with the E3D Volcano however the printing issues started with the stock hot end so I am unsure that is the culprit.

I have an E3D Titan extruder that I was planning on installing anyway but I'd like to get to the bottom of this issue before I change anything else. A couple of months ago I printed one of those gizmos to keep the filament away from the lead screw on the original Z-axis and I noticed the filament has worn a groove in the yellow plastic of the idler wheel lever feed hole since it's been moved to the side now. I thought that was what was causing the filament not to feed correctly but I was proven wrong. I've tried a different stepper motor but I think it's not the right kind as it didn't work at all. Could the motor be worn out or perhaps a motor controller on the motherboard? I don't have much hair left to pull out so any constructive ideas that are different that what I've tried would be welcome. I've heard there is a potentiometer for the extruder stepper motor that I could tweak but I'm a little leery of poking around in there too much. Any other thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    having done so much changes its hard to tell where it could be coming from, starting with, as you point, lack of amps at power source level or driver...

Im assuming you're not using Noctua fans right?

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, I've replaced the original part cooling fan with a 50mm ball bearing fan. The hot end heatsink cooling fan was another 50mm ball bearing fan and now it's the 30mm fan that came with the E3D hot end. I changed to the E3D after the clicking started so I'm wondering about the health of the stepper motor or the power being delivered to it by the board. I've tinkered with about everything else to no avail. As I mentioned I've been printing along using the same settings in Simplify 3D for nearly 7 months with no issues so it's probably not something that I changed that has precipitated the problem. This is leading me to speculate on something that has failed in some way.

Post Thanks / Like
    The only time i tried to switch to titan+genunine e3d I had to go back to square 0 as all kinds of clogs were happening. As much as I hate the stock extruder, it seems to be the only one that works fine :????