Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Sound Suppressing Enclosure

Ok since people here are hell on wheels for good, thorough explanations I have another question! Does anyone here use any kind of sound suppressing enclosure for their Cube? She has a pretty good print, but quiet she ain't! I have thought about using some acoustic foam and building something out of plywood, but I worry about burning the place down haha! Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks!

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you happened to have a mud-room? Typically the bathroom or the broom closet near the back door of the house.
    I have 2 doors between there and the living room and it seems to work okay.
    same with the bedroom, 2 walls and the sound is dead-enough.

Short of that, basement? Attic? The great outdoors?

It is the same as the days of old when dot-matrix printers polluted the local soundscape.
    Even the foamed boxes didn't help if you happened to work anywhere in the vicinity of one.

One thing that might help a little bit is to deaden reflective surfaces around the printer.
    Convoluted open cell foam is the material of choice for home soundproof booths.

Post Thanks / Like
    You'd supress 50% of the loud noises by just removing the plastic casings beneath the bed...

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Or you can tighten the screws a little more... most of my printers didn't have these completely bottomed out.
    But yes, undressing your printer does help.
    Just be careful because some of the plastics actually provide cooling air channels for motors.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bolsoncerrado View Post
    You'd supress 50% of the loud noises by just removing the plastic casings beneath the bed...
    I did this to mine and it helps.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have mine sitting on my desk beside of me haha! I don't really have any other place to put it really unfortunately. I noticed that the plastic plate on the bed would vibrate real loud during certain movements so I tapes it down lol. That helped a little. Do you have pics of what I can and cannot take off of the printer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not just vibrating but also amplifying...

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ap0c4lyptyc View Post
    Do you have pics of what I can and cannot take off of the printer?
    This is an excellent reference.
    https://openbuilds.com/threads/tear-...o-reprap.5689/

Note that they point out where the ventilation ducts are for the extruder motors.

9. Thanks Ap0c4lyptyc thanked for this post
    Likes Ap0c4lyptyc liked this post
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holy crap that's awesome! This forum is great for answers lol. Thank you all again!

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Haha I must say this forum is shaaa-wwweeeeeeeeet!!!! Man I'm gonna do this to "my" printer asap!!!

p.s. it's not really my printer, my friend loaned it to me. It was such a pain in the ass for him that he stopped using it and put in the box in his basement, collecting dust. Then he went away to college so I was like hooook me up!!! and he did.

- - - - - - - - - -

Hey checking back in...

So I took the panels off of the bed carriage and I can say with confidence that the printer is >50% quieter. I know because it is beside me on my desk too, lol. Have you ever noticed the panels are shaped like a resonance cavity (like a guitar body)? its like they were trying to make it louder haha.

I can just imaging the people at 3dsystems "Our focus groups show us that people who buy overpriced DRM junk want to know that it's working when it's working.... make it as loud as possible".

- - - - - - - - - -

Yea sorry for the triple post, but I am interested in a sound suppressing enclosure. Has anybody even tried?

I'm worried about the printer overheating because it seems to be picky about that.