Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Bed Leveling

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Bed Leveling

How are you guys leveling your bed with an aftermarket build sheet on it? I noticed the auto bed leveling feature no longer works... or is it just me?

2. Likes garufa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just you.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Works for me with LokBuild.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have Lockbuild and auto level does not work, I manually level it

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can lay a white sheet of paper on the printer and it will level to the paper.
    If you tape down a piece of paper to a proper bed-level, it will probably work fine.

This works for gapping too when you have glue on the build plate that you don't want to clean off.

Manually setting it doesn't work well because the compensation is set by calibration.
    Meaning it will still autolevel to what it last knew to level to.

Find the Z-ticks thread to learn more about this.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Lokbuild (orange sheet with black letters) which I have put directly on top of the stock build plate. The autolevel has been working great, works every time for me.

The trick is that the LokBuild sheet has to be matte (a dull sheen), it CANNOT be shiny/glossy anywhere. Tilt the plate under a light bulb and you'll see if there are any streaks of shine. If there are then the auto level won't work (but it might still say 'successful'). Even removing parts leaves some marks on the plate which will screw up the auto level. I clean my plate with warm-hot water (hot to the touch works for me) and plain dish washing soap, while scrubbing with the scouring side of those standard dish washing sponges (the green side of the yellow and green sponges). This has worked for over 30 prints, and counting.

I must say that LokBuild is 100% worth it, oh my god the prints come off so easily and they stick so well. Those peeps that invented it should be millionaires. After removing a full plate of +10 parts (got all parts of in under five min, with some the size of my palm), I popped it back on and started another print (without any auto-calibration) and it just works. Could get about 6-7 back to back prints before I have to re-level and re-gap it.

Every time before a print when it says 'glue on the plate?' I laugh and think to myself "...stupid machine... he he ...".
    Last edited by MarkRon; 12-06-2017 at 05:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed haha!

Its still alien tech on the autolevel for me at least!

It's so smart it sometiimes detect a very tiny piece of reflecting hairspray left!

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I broke stock built plate surface, then I peel it off and put aftermarket sheet. all works fine