Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like

My First Successful Print!

So finally I have made a successful print that's quite reasonable quality and I'm very happy with it.
    I know it's just a 1cm cube but it's quite accurate in measurement. 2 sides are almost exactly 10mm .. one side is off by 0.2mm.

I did have trouble with layers offsetting itself to the right .. so it will not print up straight and looked like this:wrong2.jpgwrong.jpg
    I just could not figure out why. If this happens, you have to (in Cura) put '0' in dual extrusion overlap. Not sure why it would keep going to one side for that weird step one though.

Correction : if weird stepping happens .. tight the belt as slipping was causing it to step to different places.

Anyway here's the first successful thing I got printed.
    FirstPrint.jpg
    My process was :
    1. make cube in Maya and triangulate it.
    2. Used slicr to slice and make a STL file.
    3. Open in Cura.
    4. Make sure the Z end stop is installed at the right height otherwise it's going to drag along the platform.

happy printing
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jase3d; 12-13-2014 at 04:06 AM.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here're my settings in Cura .. I'm using OSX version.
    Screen Shot 2014-12-12 at 2.03.41 pm.jpgScreen Shot 2014-12-12 at 2.03.34 pm.jpgScreen Shot 2014-12-12 at 2.03.28 pm.jpg

it's quite straight forward.... I've lowered the speed by a lot for testing but I'm sure it can be sped up a bit.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fantastic Jase3d !!!
    A question .... did you find where the heat bed screws go ??

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes they just replace the existing heatbed thumbscrews. my hotend kept hitting them as they stick out so I've replaced them with the small ones. I was wondering why when Cura does it's calibration on Z end stop it's abit off .. it's because the side of the hotend hit the thumb screw.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent J! I am a fellow maya user as well and am curious to see how fine a detail we may be able to print. Nice job, I may be picking your brain for assistance since 3D printing is new to me.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a couple of printing tips if you're printing in Cura.
    1. Make sure all your end stops are at the right spots and will activate/pressed when the printer moves to them. Cura needs to know where these are for it's setup before it prints.
    2. Make sure the belt on the X-wing is really tight otherwise you will get slipping and that makes the prints go offset each layer as it goes up.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    tried to print some much bigger things last night and still had a weird offset in the layers going up but it was all random .. so i pushed the printer head fast and you can hear it slipping on the motor gear .. so that was making it slip and print in the wrong place. Tightened the belt and it prints perfect. Here's a test 2cm cube and turned out perfect.
    PC131630_smaller.jpg

so no the big print which is 18x18x8 grate that I want to use for my game frame build (search kickstarter gameframe) .. so it's the grate that blocks spill light from each other which I've been trying to make with so many other materials and could not do it. Making something this big you need the platform to be really well level and took quite a few tries .. but finally have something in progress and it's all sticking well.
    smaller.jpg
    so fingers crossed it turns out good but so far it's very straight and accurate in measurement.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    How did you tightend the belt? Looks great!

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    on top of the X-wing there're 2 black nuts with 2 ball bearings underneath ... the ball bearings have a allen key hole underneath.
    so undo the bolt slightly and push them until the belt is tight and tighten it back up.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    was trying to print more stuff today ... this morning it was printing perfect as I printed the cube. Then it got worse and worse and the prints started to be all stringy and thin and fuzzy. Then now nothing is coming out of the hotend .. I can hear the motor clicking and slipping trying to push the filament in but looks like it's not hot enough to melt it.

Got my laser temperature measure and the hotend was only at 76-80degrees while trying to print even though it was set at 200degrees.
    what to do what to do?