Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like

Question FDM print quality experience?

What is other members experience with FDM printers in comparison to the Cube3 printing at 100nm or less?

My personal experience with FDM, has been limited to the AnetA8, Taz5, Cube3, and whatever 3D printed examples I have seen in-person. To me it seems that the Cube3, printing at 70nm, produces better results that don't exhibit what I have seen in all other FDM prints:

Obvious layer lines
    Z-wobble from the lead screw
    Inconsistency between layer lines.

There are plenty of photos on-line but it is next to impossible to get a accurate impression of actual quality of prints because:

#1 Many are photos in the best possible light and angle.
    #2 Material choice hides defects (I prefer to print in a mid grey material that helps highlight any defects (e-sun silver is great!)
    #3 Photo editing..
    #4 Personal bias for many reasons...
    #5 Marketing ability...?

The overall consistent impression I get on-line is there is a select number of sub ~$3000 desktop FDM printers that excel above others for many reasons:

Ultimaker 2-3
    Zortrax M200
    Prusa Mk2-3

Are the above printers (or others..?) able to get the same or better level of quality "out of the box" as the cube can at 70nm? Is there any side by side comparisons?

I know SLA is excellent, but I am not interested in it right now. I have worked in lots of materials, including resin, and I prefer actual plastics. I also am aware of prices and I am not interested in debating value as that can be subjective. My Anet AM8 has been tuned to get much better, but it still cannot get to the Cube3 70nm results as consistently.

Cheers

JH
    Last edited by zugok; 01-03-2018 at 12:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Prusas are top notch for the price compared to others, including the RSVP of the Cube3.... But cube3 outperforms many out there once you tune everything up (new hub, new slicer, etc)

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks bolsoncerrado.

What other printers have you used?

FYI The upcoming MZBOT Voron2 printing looks promising, Linear Rails and Z belt.
    Last edited by zugok; 01-03-2018 at 06:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bq -> their whole catalogue. Meh.
    Prusa -> Owning Mk2S, Mk2SMMU and 2 MK3
    CR-10 -> Owning CR10 and CR10S5
    Sculpto+ from KS is also "fun".