Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

N00B Question: Two cartridges of same color increase speed?

I'm not only new to Cube3, but new to 3d printing in general. I have a Cube 3, I did the firmware hack, and I've modified the cartridge so I can have a spool feed directly through it. Pretty happy with it so far.

The guy I bought this from has some additional cartridges for pretty cheap, but they're all the neon green color (which is what I have currently). Granted the actual color is just whatever generic filament I feed through it (black currently). However, the printer will get the color from the chip and behave accordingly. Other than getting one as a spare, is there any advantage to having a second cartridge of the same color? If the printer has two of the same color, will it pull from both cartridges and reduce the print time?

If getting a second cartridge of the same color does NOT reduce print time, then I think it would be better to get a cartridge of a different color chip, so I could actually print two different colors down the road: not the colors the printer thinks I have, but what I have on the spool.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ytjohn View Post
    Other than getting one as a spare, is there any advantage to having a second cartridge of the same color? If the printer has two of the same color, will it pull from both cartridges and reduce the print time?

If getting a second cartridge of the same color does NOT reduce print time, then I think it would be better to get a cartridge of a different color chip, so I could actually print two different colors down the road: not the colors the printer thinks I have, but what I have on the spool.
    Absolutely not. It will more than quadruple the time (unless you are only telling it to print from one nozzle). It has to clean the nozzle on each tool change.

As far as the chips, the color does not matter. Only the material matters (unless you are using a 3rd party slicer). You can tell Cube print software it is printing a different color than the chip and the printer will complain, but let you continue printing anyways.