Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnTee View Post
    I did print one of MajorOCD's printhead from Thingverse.
    FYI, I am MajorOCD on Thingiverse.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well! Thank you very much for that Nifty Nozzle, Sir!!

- - - - - - - - - -

I finally printed Marvin.
    This is Ekocycle filament (my only choice!). I think it did a fairly credible job - the loop doesn't look too bad to me.
    What's your take?

P1080086.jpg P1080087.jpg P1080088.jpg P1080089.jpg P1080090.jpg

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice specimen! It's as good as anything I could print. Could never get Cubify to do a nice job though. I had to use 3D Builder.
    In that sense, you have added to my suspicion that the EkoCycle slicer is the same as the ABS slicer in 3D Builder.
    I realize you have PETG but I was looking for some specific traits in the print. Your pix show them nicely.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    EKOCYCLES ARE FREE! (Free as in jail, not as in beer...

The Ekocycle ReCube Pro by Tomuro ( http://www.haxtom.com/?p=71 )now has the capability to switch the cartridge type from Ekocycle to Cube 3 to Cube Pro.

I've changed my Ekocycle printer fully to Cube 3 now.

I can now print PLA, ABS and other type of filament. I can print 200 micron or 70 micron layers (although generally 200 prints better than 70).

I have begun converting my cartridges. I may even grind the EKOCYCLE raised lettering off the side of the print platform, and strip off the plastic label at the top!

I'm a happy camper!

- - - - - - - - - -

P1080091.jpg

- - - - - - - - - -

On the other hand, the PLA filament I have did not do a good job on Marvin... (MAKERTREE 3D, LLC PLA 1.75MM LIGHT BLUE). But it was cheap. {:-|

P1080096.jpgP1080092.jpgP1080093+.jpg

- - - - - - - - - -

One other thing:
    I found I can use the Ekocycle filament by telling the printer it is ABS.
    The Ekocycle printed at about 250C, which is about what Cube3 prints ABS at.
    It prints a lot better than my cheap PLA...

5. Likes TommyDee liked this post
    3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    So now my next question... being fully Cube 3 integrated... can you now make a Marvin as good as the red one from EkoCycle using any of the materials using the Cube 3 FW? I'm willing to lay odds you can't... at least, mine can't

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL!
    I'll try. I think my best chance will be with the Eko filament.

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some backstory for you, John.

I really wanted some slicer options beyond Cubify (default app).
    And I didn't want to go hacking files to get there... although I really appreciate the work others are doing in that regard.
    (I'm holding out for Simply3D to see the market share they are giving up on by not making a 3DS print driver.)
    So when I learned that Windows 8.1 and then Windows 10 provided an interface, I was ALL SMILES... <shortlived>
    I had a Win8.1 PC but it wasn't quite that straight forward. Got it to work after much "deliberation".
    I saw the potential... along with some serious revelations.
    Windows 10 installed 3D Builder by default. It pretty much worked. No SDK's or other nonsense. Still had strange behavior issues though.
    Recently M$ updated 3D Builder's interface and really hosed a lot of print managers up. It just lost all UI feedback to what is going on when submitting a print.
    Go find print manager on Win10! You now need it to untangle your hardwired print jobs.

What am I carrying on about?
    The actual print driver that 3D Builder provides is a piece of 3DS code.
    The 3DB app just throws an STL over the wall into the same slicer built into the printer and built into Cubify.

When I print Marvin from Cubify in PLA, it is pretty bad, specially the hook. Tell-tale features that are related to the slicer directly... Which, when run through 3BD, although it has different rafts, makes exactly, verbatim..., copy of the Cubify version! ...that being a pretty bad Marvin specially at the loop.
    Then I print Marvin with Cubify in ABS. Worse! The loop is now a puddle. But wait, 3DB in ABS made a perfect loop... in fact it made a perfect Marvin!

Go back and think... 3DS is the driver-maker for both platforms. There is a distinct difference between them when printing ABS. THEY (3DS) CAN DO IT! But why not from Cubify?
    Would the cube 3 itself parse a .cube3 file differently if it was on a memory stick vs. sent via Wifi? Oh that begs yet another avenue. I have reason to believe this although you'd think I'd be reaching.

So again and THANK YOU... again it appears that the EkoCycle has a similar slicer to 3D Builder which really deals with Coke bottles much better... which is similar to ABS properties. Maybe the 3DB slicer is actually modeled on the PETG material?

I am still short one tool to compare the various .cube3 files. Since 3DB is hardwired to the cube via USB-A, you never get to see the file. The only place the file exists is on the printer's internal SD. If you "print to file", it just dumps an ascii RAW file with nothing. What I am saying is that 3DB doesn't generate .cube3 files that users can access.

So now we add EkoCycle to the mix. It is now quite tempting to make an EkoCycle out of one of my Cube3's.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, you pretty well nailed it on the Cube 3 doing a worse Marvin than the Ekocycle.
    Here it is with Cube 3 + EKO filament + via USB drive.
    Full disclosure: This is a different cartridge from the one I used on Ekocycle. The filament could be older/younger/wetter/stiffer/ etc etc.
    Yet another parameter to wonder about...
    Cube3+EKO-1.jpgCube3+EKO-3.jpg

The body is close to as good as Ekocycle, but the loop is way not.
    I'll try sending the file over wifi next, using the same cartridge.

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is a little routine it goes through when the filament-per-layer is volumetrically challenged that this self-destruction begins to happen.

- - - - - - - - - -

Looks like you got the rest of the system dialed in pretty good.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    ... which resulted in remarkedly similar results. I did notice this time the nozzle temp was 259C - about 10C higher than Ekocycle using EKO filament. Yet another factor!
    It sure would be nice to have direct control of the temperature.
    Cube3+EKO+wifi.jpg

- - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    It is a little routine it goes through when the filament-per-layer is volumetrically challenged that this self-destruction begins to happen.

- - - - - - - - - -

Looks like you got the rest of the system dialed in pretty good.
    So, that implies it is a slicer issue? That is, does it mean a different slicing method may result in better handling of "volumetrically challenged" thingies?

I do seem to be able to print things pretty reliably. One difference I've noticed is the Cube 3 firmware makes quite a bit more noise - squawk, clank, etc. - from the filament drive/cartridge area. It seems to move the filament more violently/jerkily than the Ekocycle firmware.

Tomorrow I might try the other cartridge.

I can't see why Cubeprint would use different slicing code for the two machines. Same program, same hardware... doesn't make sense to me.