Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like

SketchUp Make - Template for Rapide Lite

For the users of SketchUp Make you can use this very simple template (attached) with the Rapide Lite dimensions.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, i have tried some construction in Sketchup but not learnt enough to get anything useful built yet. If you a familiar with it you may spread som tips and tricks to get things done.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    The best tip is to follow the 1st tutorial
    It is really worth it, spend like 30 mins doing the initial tutorial and you will be good for most of the things you want to do with your printer.
    There are some unique concepts with SketchUp that make it really an easy and quick tool to 3d draw, but you just need to learn the basic concepts.
    http://www.sketchup.com/learn

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe my project was too complicated to make in sketchup. An elephant tusk (in miniature).
    The problem i was hitting is that it will have to be curved in every possible aspect, bending up and in, and diameter getting smaller.
    Finally got it made in openscad as a recursive repetition of ellipsoids with a small turn between each recursion (repetition).

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've used Sketchup when it was still called "Sketch" and "UpFront" and when it was merged into Sketchup.

It's very intuitive but it was more of a surface modeller and was great in Architectural Construction design.

Since when it was bought over by Google (and later sold to Trimble) for Google Earth, there is a very large database of 3D models and add-on Extensions (https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/).

Because of the age of the software, it has undergone many debugs and updates over the years, and many CAD experts have added their own "flavors" of tools into it. It is a very mature CAD system, much easier to use, IMHO, as compared to AutoCAD.

The free version "Make" is sufficient for most 3D printing purposes, the "Pro" just contains a few additional features which are more CAD related imports/exports (DWG/DXF) and Dynamic Components (scripted parametric) for about $590.

For 3D printing:
    You will also need a few extensions to make sketchup work for STL import/export:

http://www.mastersketchup.com/best-3...-for-sketchup/

and a few tools in Sketchup to make curve corners, etc

You can get quite a few tips here: (click on more...)

http://www.mastersketchup.com/?s=3D+printing

Listen to the Podcast, it is pretty good for noobs and you can listen in the background while you are working...

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Many thanks to Joao for that template, it will help to size the model to the proper build space.

For those who wants to use Joao's sketchup template, here's how to set it up in your sketchup:

First unzip and open the Rapide Lite.skp model with Sketchup, then

1. Open the File menu.
    2. Click Save As.
    3. In the Save As dialog box, browse to the SketchUp Templates folder, which is installed by default to:
      • SketchUp Pro 8 for PC - C:\Program Files\Google\Google SketchUp #\Resources\en-US\Templates.
      • SketchUp Pro 8 for Mac - ~/Library/Application Support/Google SketchUp #/SketchUp/Templates.
      • SketchUp 2014 for PC - C:\Program Files (x86)\SketchUp\SketchUp 2014\Resources\en-US\Templates
      • SketchUp 2014 for Mac -~/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp

4. Save the template using the existing template name or a new name, for example, "My Template."
    5. Back in SketchUp, if you saved your changes using a new template name, select that new template (follow the preceding "Select a different template" procedure).
    6. To open a new model using the selected template, open the File menu, and click New.
    7. The selected template is also used after you close and restart SketchUp.

An alternative method (faster) is to open the templates folder and drop the Rapid Lite.skp directly into the Templates folder.

When you start up Sketchup, click on "Choose Template" and you are good to go!

NB
    BTW, once you have finished building the model, you SHOULD delete the "stage" (box) and the 3D text before saving or exporting the model to STL. Otherwise you might just end up printing the template too...
    Last edited by lawong; 12-28-2014 at 07:14 AM.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Lawong for the instructions.

I prefer to export the STL using the option "Export selected geometry only".
    Then I don't need to delete everything that it is on the workspace that is 'extra', like the template object.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the templates and the learning links

Just starting with SketchUp 2015 myself so its very helpful

PS 2015 Templates are stored in the same DIR as 2014

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    One very useful tip for SketchUp draws for 3D print.

- Make sure all the object faces are correctly oriented

When you draw for example a square, it will create a face.
    But one side is considered to be the front and the other the back.
    I noticed that some slicers ignore the back faces if they are exposed to the front of the object, leaving there an empty space.

On SketchUp the back faces are darker than the front faces.

If you get a back face that was supposed to be the front, just swap its orientation.
    Look here:
    Attachment 312

The middle cube has a face that is not correctly oriented. Select the face and choose to invert it.
    And thats it.

I found that most of my slicing problems were related to this.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Joao

One of the things I am trying to do with sketchup is convert a 2D into a 3D object and export as a STL
    Ive got all the plugins installed for import/export STL

I know its probably a simple thing to do in sketchup But having problems editing the Image

Heres a couple of sample drawings for a RC Wing I am working on Its a mounting plate with holes

SAMPLE 1 DropBox
    SAMPLE 2 DropBox

All I want to do is print it out in different thicknesses but when I try to Use this Push/Pull tool to raise/lower parts of the image.
    The Tool has a X indicating It does not work ?? any idea where I am going wrong

I'll keep on trying

Cheers