Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like

Cube 3 stops extruding during print.

Hi All,
    I was wondering if anyone might shed some light on why this happens. or how to fix it.

My printer will print fine for approx 20 min, then the extruder stops shooting filament. I am using this filament:

1.PNG
    2.PNG

I noticed that the filament is slightly thicker than the cartridge filament, and the filament will click every so often during a print at the cartridge motor. I think it might be wearing down the filament and not being able to grip it... I am not sure... =\

I am willing to upload a video, but I wont be able to until next week.

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to suggest the material's optimum temperature is a little higher than the Cube 3 is doing.
    The occasional click is consistent with this. In the Machine, this simply means the tension on the filament is released for the moment.
    If it is actually stuck, the click will advance to a serious rug burn and will not drive the filament at all.

The little app that changes the file's temperature settings could help tremendously in this case. I'd up it about 10 degrees C

I have to ask, are you using the stock cartridge?

As you noted, the filament is a little thicker. This could have an effect on the feed as well.
    On the filament driver mechanism side; it is a little harder on the drive motor to squish thicker and/or harder filament through the drive.
    This is just a matter of hastening the wear of the sacrificial gear drive in the provided mech. Remember, it was intended to last only one cartridge!
    I haven't worn one out yet! I expect the bearing to wear first.
    That hadn't happened yet either. And the PrintRBot filament I use half the time is harder than 3D Systems "creamy" stuff.

Now know this; the stock tube attached to the cartridge has a property we've bypassed and rarely talk about.
    It stretches nearly 1/2" during the pressure phase.
    All the Bowden tube upgrades negate this very "springy" relief to stripping the filament (the rug burn).
    Also know that no matter what filament I use, it clicks -some- during the purge operation from the maintenance menu.
    Range may be once to a dozen, but it is very common. It should never strip!

We are talking the PLA from the ad, right? That 200 degree C lower temp should always draw suspicion.
    Cheap Chinese 3D Pen filament is rated at 170 degree C and works wonders in the cube.
    Most very compatible materials have a starting point of 180 degree C.
    I know that 200*C rarely works without "stress" in my cube... and that is only because I don't do the temp-change-app-thingy.
    I just avoid higher rating filaments since mine is still operating in a closed loop without intervention.
    Seems Amazon -does- have a limit on returns This is how I learned about this -other- limitation to the Cube 3.
    Thanks to @Mythander, there is a solution.

My recommendation for clear to tinted translucent would be PrintRBot (<<== NOT AFFILIATED!).
    It is just a bit more structural than 3D Systems meaning it maintains a "harder" shell and also works better for tension conditions where sustained deflection is required. Shell clamps for instance.
    Closest to stock 3D Systems is 3D Solutech. They seem to be absent on Contact but they do come through. See the filament thread
    These are my choices, of course. I always want more options so it is good to know to avoid this one

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    I just want to start off by saying thank you for your reply.

I was wondering, what app are you talking about? How do I change the temperature settings? I'd like to give this a shot. I think it is stripping, now that I am taking a further look at the filament.

Yes, I am using this filament with the stock cartridge. However, I do not feel as though it is any harder on the motor to squish/pass through the filament. It feels firm, and nice.

I am not sure if the motor is worn out, but if it is, is it possible to replace it? Where do I get the parts?

I have already upgraded the tubing.
    Yes, PLA from the AD.

Thank you again, I am going to try some things and come back with an update. I appreciate your comments very much.

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Happy to help, MM.

Temperature modifier:
    It is a simple little app that rewrites specific temperate calls in the .Cube3 file with a new temperature and the Cube 3 obeys.
    Using it requests a very specific routine and (?) a few libraries to be available. I could never get it to work on Win7 but a lot of others have successfully used it.

If the filament is not any harder than normal, then no, you should be fine with the filament drive motor.
    Funny thing with Stepper Motors, they don't really wear out electrically, but they fail from bushing wear and from shaft degradation.
    The replacement is available and fairly cheap. I have yet to wear on out <knocks on wood>.
    And the way that the motor is used in the Cube 3, even bushing wear should be minimal since there is no side-load.

So yes, more heat, more flow. I'll have to find the links to the temp converter... Other may need to help in getting it working with you.
    It certainly does seem like the right route for this filament.

- - - - - - - - - -

http://www.print3dforum.com/showthre...ature+modifier

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your reply.

I hate to be a bother, but how do I download the app? I was looking through the link you sent me at the bottom of your previous message, but I didnt see anyone talking about where to download the app or how to use it. =/

I would really like to try to increase the temperature. I have a feeling this might be my solution.

Please let me know, Thanks =]

Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    Happy to help, MM.

Temperature modifier:
    It is a simple little app that rewrites specific temperate calls in the .Cube3 file with a new temperature and the Cube 3 obeys.
    Using it requests a very specific routine and (?) a few libraries to be available. I could never get it to work on Win7 but a lot of others have successfully used it.

If the filament is not any harder than normal, then no, you should be fine with the filament drive motor.
    Funny thing with Stepper Motors, they don't really wear out electrically, but they fail from bushing wear and from shaft degradation.
    The replacement is available and fairly cheap. I have yet to wear on out <knocks on wood>.
    And the way that the motor is used in the Cube 3, even bushing wear should be minimal since there is no side-load.

So yes, more heat, more flow. I'll have to find the links to the temp converter... Other may need to help in getting it working with you.
    It certainly does seem like the right route for this filament.

- - - - - - - - - -

http://www.print3dforum.com/showthre...ature+modifier

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ahh, thank you so much!!

Now.... if I can just figure out how to use the app...

There wouldn't be a tutorial / How to, on how to use this, would there?

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hahaha!!! Yea, me too. Mostly it is a drag-n-drop and likely needs to be put on the memory stick.
    You might see some DLL-library-missing errors but those should be fixable with installing the right libraries.
    Whatever that means!

- - - - - - - - - -

...that's how far I got.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh god... Libraries? I hated the Dewey Decimal System... I am going to ask around and see if anyone can explain how to use it.. I am not sure what to do... =/

Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    Hahaha!!! Yea, me too. Mostly it is a drag-n-drop and likely needs to be put on the memory stick.
    You might see some DLL-library-missing errors but those should be fixable with installing the right libraries.
    Whatever that means!

- - - - - - - - - -

...that's how far I got.

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's your platform?

I think John Tee got it working...

Once you figure it out, maybe you can condense the process.