Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  22
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Universal Hub

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got mine and looks like the blasted thing came from 3D Systems. Beautifully done, the printed things looked like they were injected, couldnt see any of the extruded lines. I had 2 issues but nothing major at all. The filament was broken in 2 spots in the tube leading up to the drive and the tube was hanging free from the drive. Popped the cover off, ran up about 2 feet of filament, re-fed and shes looking freakign sweat on the left side. Hadnt had anything run on that side in several years so it will be nice to share the love! Gotta remember how to gap both nozzles now, its been so long!
    Well done Tommy, well done!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet Yea, and that was a sealed pack of PLA until a few days ago.
    That means BSP... brittle spool protocol is in order.
    That is why I posted up the stock spool adapter. ...so you can just unstring it when your done printing.
    I suspect that all Cube3 PLA will end up like that very soon.
    It still makes good parts, just won't stay 'uncurled' in the tubes without breaking.
    Learned that when a stock spool just wouldn't work for me several years ago.
    Had it laying out in the open for a year. Ran it with one of the replacement hubs and it worked wonders.
    So if it is not breaking while printing, it is still viable for prints... just not spools.
    And don't even try to respool it! It will just break all over the place.

The two flanges will run for about 3 hours total.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have to agree with ZToddMan. This work is amazing TD. I have not run the spool yet, but will soon. I am finishing up some further mods to the previous Castle print I did. I am really not happy with these -- I decided to play around with the extrusion rate, I suppose I should to that on something that doesn't take 5 hours to print. I am getting lots of artifacts in my print and I hope it cleans up okay...

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    One thing I love about these printers... they are consistent to a fault!

Here's one to try in the retractions... make the "push" a little less than the "pull".
    That should make up for the blob which is caused by the rapid expansion of plastic heating.
    That might work in the M228 or just the first two parameters in M227.

What kind of artifacts are we talking?

- - - - - - - - - -

Alright good peeps... the B2B project is live on Thingiverse.

You are looking for the Cartridge bulkheads, the bowden mods, the hot end housing, and the groove cutter.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very much appreciated TD! As I have let you know many times in emails, YOU DA MAN!

6. Thanks TommyDee thanked for this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aaaaargh! Wouldn't you know it... Took a Universal B2B hub to the post office for weighing an empty converted spool... 1lb .... 0.6oz! That silly 0.6oz adds $5!
    Need to drill a huge hole in the cover and we might get there. Or I need to check out some other postal scales to confirm.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do the home printing. I dont trust thier scales. In all my stuff I have sent, only one was checked and my scale was off..... or was it.....look into the USPS regional A and B. they are usually cheaper than flat rates and regular priority mail boxes.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, I was going there, specifically. If I could get it under a pound reliably, no issues. But I have 4 facilities that is suppose to have 'calibrated scales'.

Turns out the 3 holes I am drilling is already a 1/2 oz. So I know about what I need to loose. And I now have the right bags to check again. It really is that freakin' close!

The stud and nuts for the external spool is only 0.2oz. The only other option is to pull the Teflon tube and ship with 1 forever stamp in a separate envelope ;p

Seriously thinking of taking another chunk out of the cover...

- - - - - - - - - -

Yep, the bag is lighter by 0.1 oz and the bowden tube is 0.3 oz ... One more big ars hole should solve it

- - - - - - - - - -

Muaaahhhhhaaahahhaahhaa....

20190830_220335 (1).jpg

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    thought-
    why have the outer case? except for holding the top piece, maybe the tube from spool to drive, and the attached screw for holding your own wound spool. Mind you the speed holes do look sexy and offers a reasonable air conditioner, but what if we did away with it, design something to hold the tube in and the connector at the top.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    The beauty of the case is the highly integrated rigidity once it is finally snapped together. Not loosing that again for anything. But you are right, this is way more work than I wish to put in the case mods. The 3 added holes are for greater functionality by being able to -also- run an external spool on a sled or a mini-spool/internal spool on the outside of the cartridge. To me, this is a very important feature in the B2B development.

But those two extra holes does reduce the weight by another 0.4 oz without giving up function, features, or introduce any structural compromise!
    You might get this missing a few printed pieces, Todd.

Yep, the spool post and two extra bulkheads removed should bring me in under 16 oz. If that's the case, it'll be on the way today.

- - - - - - - - - -

Interesting trip to the post office today...

Indeed, I lost a full ounce from the empty B2B shipment with the mods and removed parts. Shouldn't have been that much but okay... Todd, your Shipping test unit is on the way.

I did learn something today however. You cannot over-stuff USPS Priority mail boxes. USPS will reject them. But the flat rate Priority envelopes can be stuffed to the gills. Sure enough, I can seal up the envelope with a cartridge in it. And then the weight doesn't matter.

Anyone care to help me test this theory?

I have one more empty B2B cart ready for shipment.
    New nozzle, chip set to whatever you want. No filament to save on shipping.
    I'll take $50/shipped ConUS Priority.

B2B_empty.PNG

I still have 2 carts ready that are the full deal including filament. In this case, the carts are $50 and you cover shipping at $15 for flat rate Priority shipping.
    Oddly enough, I can ship 2 carts with filament ready to use, in their boxes, at the Priority medium box flat rate (long box). Therefore, I will will do 2 full ABS B2B converted carts for $100/shipped Conus. Choices are red or brown. That will cover anyone buying a printer without carts for a very long time.
    Last edited by TommyDee; 08-31-2019 at 07:33 PM.