Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  23
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Universal Hub

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi TommyDee,
    I am new to the forum and also a totally newbie to 3D printing.
    First of all I want to thank you and all the other people who contribute for all these developments to solve the cartridge issues of the Cube 3 printer.

It happened that I found this printer offered at a really low price and I was surprised by the great design and engineering of this machine so, after reading a lot in this forum and whatched many videos I decided to buy it (just 4 days ago).
    This printer is offered here in Argentina without warranty and support till the quantities last. Also, the filament in the cartridge are cracked, so all your effort comes to a great help to me.

Said all that, now I am working in the mods to put this little machine to work. I was able to mod one of the cartridge with some fittings that I had available in my workshop and managed to print two samples so, I can print your nice pieces now.
    All of the above was just an introduction to ask you a dumb question: among the files I can see parts shielded and no shielded, could you please tell me what is the shield intended for?

I was speculating about the purpose and thought that it might be to force the extruder to move to a position out of the part, perhaps to improve the precision of the main part being printed... As I told you I am new to 3D printing and I must learn a lot by now, so all the information will be greatly appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum Leonardo. And thank you for the kind words. Shield? Not sure how you are using the term. I have two variations on the cartridge; one with fittings and one without. This is a matter of being able to put a groove in the bowden tube. Tools are developed to do such. I am Qube3bot on Thingiverse. Feel free to search out my parts using "B2B" as search reference.

You probably also want a way for the cartridges to stop counting down. That is available too. Requires a little forethought.

Let us know how we can help you.

3. Thanks Leonardo thanked for this post
    Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi leonardo, The shield you are asking about is a "cooling tower". I'll let TD explain more about that.

5. Thanks Leonardo thanked for this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, cooling tower, also known as purge towers. That is to cover a few scenarios. Scene 1) You have only a few seconds of filament per layer toward the end of the print. The Slicer goes into slow mode and heat-soaks the entire final part of the print making a mess. The loop on Marvin is a good example. In this case, if you make a 'second print' that keeps the slicer from going into "minimum layer time' mode, the print finishes up like normal and everyone is happy. Penalty - more time printing the tower. The second scene is simply allowing time for layers to cool in general. The black heat shield on the printer itself still reflect a lot of heat toward the part. The cooling fans are functional at best making for 'preferred' print orientations. Having a remote -anything- to print always helps stabilize the current layer. There is also the option of putting the object inside the cooling tower to provide a more homogenous local environment where fan orientation matters less. Works well on the printed nozzles.

When you do print multiple things, be aware that the change is feed rate can affect a print. If you see evidence of a part finishing in another part of the bed, maybe consider a different layout on the build plate. This may be a quirk of the Cube3 and is certainly worth noting.

Leonardo - how is your stock of cartridges? Old PLA will break. PLA is fairly generic so any new stock will be welcome for your modification prints. The OLD PLA will fail fairly quickly in objects that will see tension, like the bulkhead and the nozzle. We have to talk about 3rd party ABS though. Not all ABS is the same and 3DS ABS is -very- different.
    Last edited by TommyDee; 09-25-2020 at 09:53 PM.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much to both of you for your quick reply! And yes, I was talking about those "cooling tower"... added to the vocabulary of my poor English!

Now I understood its function very well. Also I think it would be better to print the parts one by one, so I will try this method by now.

I have just two PLA cartridges provided with the printer and also bought a 1 kg spool of black PLA that I would need to rewind in the stock cartridges to have a fresh material in them. But, by now I would have to use the old one to be able to progress with the mods. I think that I can redo the parts with the new material when the machine works well.

Thank you again for the help. You are great!

8. Thanks TommyDee thanked for this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Happy to have you here among us Leonardo. Please feel free to ask anything if you get stuck somewhere. Enjoy your new printer!

10. Likes Leonardo liked this post
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Report.
    Well, the original filament in the stock cartridge definitely did not work at all. The new black filament that I bought was not so good, it cracks very easily so I went to buy the best filament that I could find in the market and bought another spool of a nice orange PLA filament. This makes a whole difference and put me in the right way to make my new parts.

Now I am working in the Recube circuit designing a little pcb for the Arduino and the few component needed. I have some pogo pins available and want to use a pair of them for this purpose.
    I think that I will need to buy two more cartridges to be able to print with ABS too. I would like to print with flex material (TPU?) too but I do not know if this will be possible with the my Cube 3. I must investigate about this possibilities and software options.

I am coming from the "subtracting" world so all this is totally new for me!

A picture of my new parts and mod.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those look excellent Leonardo! You are on the right track. PTU has been done on Cube3, yes. And the ReCube will complete your tool kit Happy printing!

13. Thanks Leonardo thanked for this post
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    how have you made the blue ring? Weakest part of the whole construction...i tried several things by now. But from time to time it still slips out or the Honend...

Have a friend printing on an MK3s ... apart from that it is the better printer, he was quite amazed on the simplicity on doing nozzle maintenance

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    The blue ring is just a slice of a 2x4 mm air polyamide tube with an axial cut (not shown) to let it be inserted on the other tube.
    Unfortunately it slips out too. Although I liked very much the idea, I ended up putting a quick connector in this side too.