Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Post Thanks / Like

    3DS Filament Spool Driver


    The B2B implementation is complete on my end.
    Almost a dozen nozzles, bowden tubes, and modified cartridge cases.
    The printers are ready for anything!

    However! ...

    Although I've warned by filament makers... and I've witnessed this myself...

    A lot of filament does not want to be wound onto a stock 3DS spool!

    This is simply because the filament was wound onto a spool at an optimum temperature and it "took a set".
    This just means is was pliable (plastic... D'uh!) when the spool was wound but as it cooled enough, it has a memory of where it wants to be.
    This also means that when you wind a new spool of filament ABC, and you wind this outside diameter onto the small diameter of the receiving spool, it stresses the material. And what does plastic do when it is stressed? It cracks!

    So this is just a quick lesson of what -not- to do. But we'll do it anyway because we know better! Ignorance is bliss!

    I've tried the Lego winder; the winder helpers; and the manual winding methods.
    The ladder seems to be my default method to get -some- filament loosely onto a 3DS spool so I can bury it in a cartridge case.

    Well, I got tired of that!

    So here you go; a variable speed power-winder!


    Please note that I opted to -not- make the power driver attachment as part of the spool flange.
    I want to make sure the spool and the power drill can easily disengage if necessary.
    This driver is based on a part that I've used as a hex-driver body for some time.
    You will need a long-ish 1/4" hex bit of any style.
    I printed this part out of ABS but PLA works fine.
    You will be hammering the bit into the printed driver part.
    It is meant to remain with the driver set permanently.

    This is the driver:


    It took 2 tries to get a decent feel of the flange itself.
    The 1st one used a 2" thread which I reduced to 1-3/8".
    They both have a really nice feel to them.
    I can see these becoming some nice RC car rims... but I digress.

    I printed the flanges in PLA but material shouldn't matter.

    This is the power-side flange:


    I used the "texture technique" on the build plate side to try to make the part easier to peel from the build plate.
    Hope you like it. It will try to put a few dots down on the 1st layer.
    If they don't stick well, don't worry. They get brushed out of the way.
    You will also notice I opted for a tapered edge on the flange.
    If you have a different spool in mind, Meshmixer should make short work of adapting this to other spools.

    And this is the Flange Nut so to speak:


    In this case, the flange is not tapered but rather fit to the 3DS flange for stability.
    Again, MM can make quick work of an alternative flange.

    There may be a few strings that detach from the large thread. Just trim them away.
    Note that the support is already built in.
    The support will break away easily although you can leave it in place too.

    All in all, the smaller thread OD provided with a lot better finger fiddling with assembling this to the flange.

    Oh, and storage... they also screw together in reverse for easy storage.


    One more look...

    flange1.PNG Beauty shot

    flange2.PNG business end

    flange3.PNG parting shot

    - - - - - - - - - -

    - - - - - - - - - -

    Screw thread design:

    - - - - - - - - - -

    And it works like a charm!

    I am respooling 3D Solutech PLA filament that appears to not mind being rewound.
    Took all of a minute to have a full 3DS spool.

    I put the donor spool on the floor in the filament boat (roller setup with bearings)
    and put it on the carpet for a little resistance.
    Held the speed at medium/low and it was the easiest respool I've ever done to date.

    - - - - - - - - - -

    For those of you who can decipher this image...



    - - - - - - - - - -

    This works well with the B&D driver...
    and it advances filament in a cartridge to boot!

    The only thing about the B&D I don't like is the fixed speed.
    That takes a little getting use to.

    Last edited by TommyDee; 07-20-2018 at 10:11 PM.

  2. Thanks bolsoncerrado thanked for this post
    Likes bolsoncerrado liked this post
  3. #2
    Administrator bolsoncerrado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome job d00d!

  4. Thanks TommyDee thanked for this post
  5. #3
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm definitely recommending variable speed on this

    My B&D driver has been hot-rod'd and has too much torque and speed now.

    However, if I harvest directly from the Cubex spool, that may not be an issue except the sudden starts.

    - - - - - - - - - -

    Last edited by TommyDee; 08-11-2018 at 04:16 AM.

  6. Thanks bolsoncerrado thanked for this post


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts