Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

which 3d printer is suitable for beginners?

I am new in the platform of 3d printing. I love to design the physical objects. I usually read the article related to it from cxxxxxxxxxx and gained lots of information about this topic. Now I am thinking to buy a new 3d printer. can anyone tell me which 3d printer will suites for the beginners?

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can tell you where I went and why but I am also going to warn you where I went and why.

When I started considering 3D printing for my business, which does use high tech CAD systems, I knew one thing...
    I didn't want to spend a lot of unpaid hours learning how to dial in a printer.
    This speak to open source software that allows you to tweak your printer to perfect prints for a particular material, particular design, or particular structure.
    I wanted a systems that I could drop parts on the app and press go on the printer.
    Not too much to ask, right?
    In fact, it is. There are some really cool tools for those that have the patience to deal with open systems. But so far, all the major players have closed their systems to proprietary filament chips; proprietary operating language; or simply making the system so canned as to not allow deviation.

Funny enough, I got enamored by a simple well designed system that only lacked a few basic requirements... like reliability, cost of ownership, and a canned system so tight that a wholesale motherboard replacement is required to talk to open source solutions.
    You'd think I was an idiot for going this route knowing all this, right? Well, the aggregate price I've paid for these systems is well under $200-/each for a $999 MSRP engineered solution. I am talking about the Cube 3 from 3D Systems.

This printer really is an engineering marvel! It is properly designed with so much input from the 3D printing community that they started on the right track. The only thing on the face of it that they forgot was the heated bed. Second real turnoff is the cost of consumables.

I've been running these printers for almost 2 years now. I've replaced a fan because it was too noisy to my ears. Others have had issues with power supplies and there are some that have some factory defects that are easy to identify. Some even get nuts with the firmware and the prints just do weird things. This is the exception rather than the norm.

The bottom line issue with these printers is simple; the cartridges provided by 3D Systems simply suck! I feel generous when I credit fully functional cartridges to about 50% compared to the really bad and frustrating cartridges that seems like you are simply throwing money in the drain.

Of course, the timer required on each cartridge is the key to making this a really poor choice for the hobbyist. However, throughout the past 2 years, people have made solid progress on this little show-stopper of a chip requirement. That is all I wish to say about that for now. However, this is not unique to 3D Systems. If you are looking at other designs, know if you are buying into this kind of overpriced filament solution for your printer. Same as ink printers... "we'll give you the printer if you buy our cartridges"... is what you need to be aware of. Cost of ownership of the Cube 3 is $50 for a package of replacement parts and a small amount of filament for the money.
    If I estimated this correctly, you can refill a 3D cartridge ~3 times with a 2.2 lb $15 spool of basic PLA. That makes prints expensive; that makes failed prints infuriating.

The other issues we've resolved are the other two serious issues;
    One is the bowden tube filament delivery to the hot-end. This has been resolved with some simple printable solutions that require some low cost hardware items.
    Second is the unreliable build plate adhesion with glue. This is more of an inconvenience than a true problem. however, today, $20 solves this with LokBuild; a proprietary (yes, again!) adhesive backed plastic plate cover. others are available but I cannot speak for them. However, I do know that with LokBuild, or in some cases, LokBuild and glue. Also know that ABS has its own challenges regardless of printer as long as there is no heated bed. Most 3rd party PLA stick beautifully to LokBuild.

We've actually gone beyond the above improvements, but let it suffice it to say that we've removed the reliability issues by reworking the bowden tube and the problems with the printer glue. Today I print PLA design right CAD or manually added supports using a free app called MeshMixer. My print success rate is well about 95% today up from early trials when I would barely get a print to work at all, watching my filament counter go to nothing while the cartridge is still nearly full.

I touched on apps. The Cube 3 comes with the Cube app. It is as canned as canned can be! People have hacked into the output file, but I am still using the stock app, and at times, on Windows 10, I can print with 3D Builder from Microsoft. Funny enough, different app, same slicer (slicer being the conversion from STL to printable traces by layers). There are some excellent apps out there that I would love to use! But I am not interested in manually converting every print file and then dialing those in. Today I know how to design to this printer's characteristics.

And a few other goodies; the Cube 3 provides dual nozzle capability, auto-leveling, and pretty good build volume of 6x6x6 inches.

After reading this, compare that to the printer you are looking at. See how it fits into this picture and how you feel about that.

Feel free to have me expand on any of this.

Welcome to the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you just replied to a bot, Tommy....

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    For posterity then