Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm running it now. The stock guide tube helps manage the spool well enough even full. You just cannot get to the cartridge release clips. You have to remove the nut. I can live with that Maybe a quick-spinner?

I like the fact that the post is easily removable without loosing the nut. That would ruin an otherwise very portable system.
    Place the hole for the post carefully if you want the nut to wedge into place when installing the post.
    Or you can always make up a custom nut that meets your already cut hole of course

Enjoy Bob!

Oh, you can always print those custom flanges

- - - - - - - - - -

Opened up a Cube 2 Magenta ABS cartridge from Oct 2013 making it 5+ years old.
    This is about the same age as the red CubeX cartridge.

At 5+ years, ABS gets "dry". Not brittle-dry, but something in the molecular chain will have broken down.
    The magenta prints well and good, but the first layer has an irrational hold on Cube Glue.
    The first layer only has a dubious hold on the second layer indicating poor layer to layer adhesion, but it overcomes this through the print.

The color is of course excellent. Basically a super hot pink with print definition. 3DS does shine there.

Got some 3DS metallic gold coming my way! Looking forward to testing that.
    Got some configs to compare since they are managed in separate sections of the slicer config files.
    This might help me with the metallic silver too.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    there is some real cheap filament from the earlier cubes being sold here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3D-Systems-...8Ujg:rk:9:pf:0

for those who can reprogram the chips, you can write them as cube 3 chips ;-) ;-)

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Keep an eye on the date. These are well past their prime or even secondary usability levels.

Price for price, you do get 2-1/2 times as much on the CubeX/CubePro carts.

I paid $10 delivered for a Cube2 PLA cartridge.
    That was a reasonable deal and does function as long as you don't re-spool it.
    These would cost me $20 and for a little more I can get the CubeX carts instead.
    And they too have the same chip.

Looking forward to receiving the CubePro flexible filament!
    Any odds on being able to run it on the Cube3?

Post Thanks / Like
    You can always pick one of these and fit your outdated spools inside
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_s...language=en_US

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is not moisture, it is a breakdown of the molecular chain. ABS is really bad after 5 years.
    But for other exotics, certainly a food dehydrator would be excellent to have.
    Nylon for instance.