Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Print quality

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

i have done good parts with PLA, now im trying ABS and its not as easy...

PLA
    0,3 nozzle
    0,15 layer

IMG_3079.jpg

IMG_3058.jpgIMG_3027.jpgIMG_2910.jpgIMG_2961.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    So ABS is harder to work with in terms of "smooth results"?

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bolsoncerrado View Post
    So ABS is harder to work with in terms of "smooth results"?
    Ref part accuracy, in this article it would appear so (I have not read it all yet)
    http://www.protoparadigm.com/news-up...r-3d-printing/

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do not know why, but my first ABS prints now are really bad, looks good but was not as hard as PLA, it was not melted really in one Peace at temp
    hotend 240
    bed 90 <-----i have an issue that im not able to heat up the bed more than 80, cause the room takes all the heat.

i stuck in the heat of the hotness too, at 247 it gets an error (Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    @scottyblue77 - nice looking parts there , some I recognise some I don't.
    My limited experience leads me to believe that it's easier to achieve a smoother finish with PLA, at least with small parts than with ABS. We can probably improve this with more experience, however one advantage of ABS is you can post process using acetone to achieve a smooth finish.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Try doing your PLA at 190C or even 188C.

Bed temp better at 56C

I have been testing with different temps for PLA and higher temps tends to make the Filament "blob" outwards, causing strong ridges instead of a smooth finish.

Interesting enough when the nozzle was getting blocked and the output was thin and eventually wispy, the finish was very fine although not very strong. Got me thinking that if I can get the temps and nozzle right, I might get a very fine finish. Higher is not better, makes the Filament less viscous and hardens slower so layers tends to ooze or "blob" outwards. Too low and the layers won't stick well. Ah... getting the right balance is a tweaky thing !

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lawong View Post
    Try doing your PLA at 190C or even 188C.

Bed temp better at 56C

I have been testing with different temps for PLA and higher temps tends to make the Filament "blob" outwards, causing strong ridges instead of a smooth finish.

Interesting enough when the nozzle was getting blocked and the output was thin and eventually wispy, the finish was very fine although not very strong. Got me thinking that if I can get the temps and nozzle right, I might get a very fine finish. Higher is not better, makes the Filament less viscous and hardens slower so layers tends to ooze or "blob" outwards. Too low and the layers won't stick well. Ah... getting the right balance is a tweaky thing !

Yeah you are rite, but on PLA with nozzle temp under 200 its not possible for me to print safely all-time good finished prints. I used Bed temp 60 for very good results, sticking with small support of hairspray, but only every 10 times cause i have small prints, but i print every day more than 5.

I experience no blob or something, my feeling is that the hotend heat is not the reporter one in the software.. cause by 190 PLA gets stuck totally no flow possible...
    IMG_3181.jpg

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are different types of printers and several types of technologies available. When it comes to choosing material for your print, i suggest you to choose polyamide and poly lactic Acid.Poly Lactic acid is a bio-degradable type of plastic that is manufactured out of plant-based resources such as corn starch or sugar cane. This is also called green plastic. For the best reference you can also read http://3dinsider.com/pla-vs-abs-plastic-pros-cons/ It can be very helpful.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Set your minimum layer time - I had this problem before with small layers - moving too fast without enough time to cool makes jello out of PLA.

For slicr: http://manual.slic3r.org/expert-mode/cooling