Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Grounding Issue

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Grounding Issue

Hey guys, not sure if you guys noticed but there is no ground connection on our Rapide Lite.
    If I print on my laptop without my laptop power cable plugged in, I can notice vibrations by running my fingers along the printer enclosure due to the floating voltage. With my laptop cable plugged in, the vibrations are less noticeable.

Not a big issue but do you think it is safe to ground the printer ? Any issues that I should be aware of?
    I am thinking of grounding it via a wire between the enclosure and the ground terminal of the power socket, and using an actual 3 pin plug to ground it via my home's grounding.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Joelcwe, my printer has the Australian/New Zealand (and I believe China as well) 3 pin power plug to a DIN socket on the case.
    The Line, Neutral and Earth are wired to the power supply on pins 9, 8, 7 respectively. There is an Earth symbol on pin 7 and the case must be earthed on my unit as I measure about 0.6 ohms between the Earth pin on the mains plug to anywhere on the chassis of the printer.
    Regards, Ian Ashley

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zl1aox View Post
    Hi Joelcwe, my printer has the Australian/New Zealand (and I believe China as well) 3 pin power plug to a DIN socket on the case.
    The Line, Neutral and Earth are wired to the power supply on pins 9, 8, 7 respectively. There is an Earth symbol on pin 7 and the case must be earthed on my unit as I measure about 0.6 ohms between the Earth pin on the mains plug to anywhere on the chassis of the printer.
    Regards, Ian Ashley
    Thanks for the prompt reply. I havent actually opened the bottom and I am going simply by the plug provided to me (Euro type).

euro.jpg

I probably should have tried with a spare cable.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Update: Its the IEC power cable.They supplied me with an euro plug. But I should have gotten a UK one.
    Last edited by joelcwe; 12-29-2014 at 12:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The hole in the euro plug is for grounding purposes too... so im assuming this is not a PRINTER issue?

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yup its pretty much due to my ignorance . I didn't know euro power sockets are so.. different.