Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Case for RL200

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Case for RL200

I would like to build a case for my printer and have mulled over several types e.g. Plywood, perspex/acrylic but I was wondering how to joint it all together, but then I had a brainwave ...............

Buy a used 2 draw metal filing cabinet, take out the draws and low and behold a W470xD620xH700 (approx) steel case!

I then thought, buy a sheet of acrylic to make the front door, line it with 25mm PIR insulation. There's plenty of room above for extraction, a heat lamp, a light etc. etc. and it would be strong enough to put reel/s of filament on top.

Further thoughts, rather than chuck away the draws, if I could cut off the draw front I would then be able to slide the printer in and out on runners! ideal for when you need better access.

I'm definitely going to do this, just need to source a cheap filing cabinet on ebay. Will post photos as I go along.

Your thoughts/comments are most welcome.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    A less wasteful implementation is to use t-slot aluminum extrusions and acrylic sheets just thick enough to slot into the t-slot.
    Acrylic is much easier to work with especially when you want to drill holes for venting and cooling the electronics ( dont forget the electronics need proper airflow!)

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice idea BobenhamHotspur! Really like your idea with sliding in and out the printer.
    Last week i made a simple Sketchup-model of how an acrylic box for the printer could look like. I made it so i could get some ideas out of my head - so dont take it too seriously

I'll have to remake this model before ordering the acrylics, because i really liked your sliding-idea
    Maybe use a door on the front of the acrylic box and use an aluminium frame for the whole box that the printer could slide on? Though it required alot of desk-space - i think it can be useful!
    Maybe you can mount some wheels on the front of the printer instead - so it can be easily rolled out and into the box? Sooo many ideas

Screen 2014-12-30 kl. 10.03.00.png

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Bob,
    A case idea crossed my mind as well because I'm setting mine up in the garage and I want to keep the dust off of it. I'm pretty far away from working on that, so I haven't given it deep thought. What comes to mind though is to make as many parts as possible from the 3D printer . I don't want to discourage you from the file cabinet idea but I'm not sure how pretty it will be after the modifications. If you had an elbow or bracket that the sheets plastic, metal, wood, etc could sit in you could use sealant to seal the plastic to the brackets or drill holes and use hardware.
    I wonder if rapide lite has been working on this?
    Last edited by Justin Keller; 12-30-2014 at 10:47 AM.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    They have mentioned a case for the printer in the comments on Indiegogo.

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joelcwe View Post
    A less wasteful implementation

My intention is to use an old cabinet, one that was maybe going to the dump and up-cycle it into something new

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonatanJacobsson View Post
    They have mentioned a case for the printer in the comments on Indiegogo.
    I'm trying to limit my spending at the moment having spent £££££ to get the printer + filament + kapton + acetone etc. etc.
    Even if the case is a reasonable cost the shipping will add a lot to the total. e.g. a $199 3d printer on AliExpress with $204 shipping more than doubled the price !!!

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Re Printer Cabinet

As far as being able to Slide in & out you could always get some draw rollers from local hardware

This type of thing

http://www.catchesandlatches.co.uk/d...itchen-roller/

http://www.aetslides.com/gs_detail.a...00030&previd=0

DR1.jpg ....or....DR2.jpg

but as you say you need to ventilate

good luck with the idea recycling also good

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    O@JonatanJacobsson
    Unfortunately at present my CAD skills are zero. I know I will need to learn CAD in order to make the most of my printer but at the moment I'm prioritising learning 3d printing skills. Being able to design wonderful things but not to being able to print them would be incredibly frustrating, hence my current plan to cannibalise a filling cabinet, maybe not a thing of beauty but virtually indestructable !!!

On the sliding draws, maybe you could buy/salvage the runners from kitchen cabinets?
    Edit: took so long to type my reply I was guzumped LOL

As you mentioned, soooooooo many ideas, so little time/money/....... (insert your own restriction here)
    Last edited by BobenhamHotspur; 12-30-2014 at 03:38 PM.

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
    but as you say you need to ventilate
    I'm planning to fit fan/s into the top, it'll be a tricky balance of maintaining adequate ventilation and a stable warm environment.