Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have not upgraded so it is difficult to be a guide. However, there are others on the forum that do use it.
    Having the freedom to make your own profiles is a huge leap in itself ;]

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DRoo View Post
    Hello,

Looks like you guys have put in a lot of effort to get Cura working with our printers. Thank you.
    I'm trying this myself and have come across a problem when slicing with BFB.

It is adding additional lines to the print that are unnecessary, I cant figure it out.
    Attachment 4489Attachment 4490

Has anyone come across this before?
    Will they appear when printing?
    Any fixes?

Cura Version 4.13.1

Thank you in advance.

Just a quick update for anyone following.
    My problem with the additional lines showing in the preview is a visual glitch with BFB in Cura.

After printing I can see it is just the travels but for some reason Cura preview doesn't pick this up?

3. Thanks TommyDee thanked for this post
    Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe those are just showing where the printhead is moving and not necessarily extruding, i.e., travel moves. You can disable showing travel moves in the list on the screen.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Correct.
    It is showing travel moves as Shells and Infill, although they should be represented as Travels.

With the 'Travels' tab ticked or un ticked it is still showing these lines.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I recently got a Cube 3 as my first 3D printer. I have been undertaking a crash course of reading and experimenting to try to learn how to use it. It came with 3 cartridges, 2 PLA and 1 Inf (PVA) but it didn't take long to learn that these were causing the problem I had with it not extruding anything. Anyway I have bought a spool of PLA and replaced the stock tubing with some 4mm PTFE and the hot end and bulkhead quick fittings. Now I am finally able to finish printing. I had a 4 hour print job that completed with no problems so I think that is a big hurdle cleared.

That was just some background, the real reason I am writing is to see if there is anybody active on here who uses the Cube 3 with Cura who could advise me on some settings. Specifically the Machine Settings for this printer, the extruders, and a PLA profile. I'm the type who likes lots of settings and options, the more the better. So I was a little disappointed with the Cube Print palette of options. I have read this thread and most of the other Cube 3 related threads on this forum. I've read through the Riprap G-code reference enough to notice several difference in M commands the Cube 3 uses.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't know enough to do it myself but I do know enough to understand what you tell me about it.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    @jssamp: Here's wishing you success!

Wow. In 3+ years Cura 3.6 has grown from 147 MB to Cura 5.1 at 273 MB! I wonder if all that bulk includes the "Cube dialect" of BFB??

No help here, sorry. I gave up trying to use Cura, due to the uniqueness ("weirdness"?) of 3DS's code. As TommyDee has often said, Cube Print does a pretty good job overall in spite of its limited options.

As an alternative, you might try using CubePro (version 1.87, I think?) and Buddybu's (fantastic!) editor/converter program to make print files for Cube3.

8. Thanks buddybu thanked for this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jssamp View Post
    I recently got a Cube 3 as my first 3D printer. I have been undertaking a crash course of reading and experimenting to try to learn how to use it. It came with 3 cartridges, 2 PLA and 1 Inf (PVA) but it didn't take long to learn that these were causing the problem I had with it not extruding anything. Anyway I have bought a spool of PLA and replaced the stock tubing with some 4mm PTFE and the hot end and bulkhead quick fittings. Now I am finally able to finish printing. I had a 4 hour print job that completed with no problems so I think that is a big hurdle cleared.

That was just some background, the real reason I am writing is to see if there is anybody active on here who uses the Cube 3 with Cura who could advise me on some settings. Specifically the Machine Settings for this printer, the extruders, and a PLA profile. I'm the type who likes lots of settings and options, the more the better. So I was a little disappointed with the Cube Print palette of options. I have read this thread and most of the other Cube 3 related threads on this forum. I've read through the Riprap G-code reference enough to notice several difference in M commands the Cube 3 uses.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't know enough to do it myself but I do know enough to understand what you tell me about it.
    I had one successful print from Cura and that was a continual spiral print. Kinda fun but the BFB from Cubify/3D Systems is not the same as Cura used for their BFB profile. There are post processing steps required that either add or delete lines and I don't know how that is done in post. I don't know if anyone tried to correct these in recent years but that is where I gave up.

Also consider that Cube3 is quite unique in that it manages both extruders from a single heater-block. Each nozzle has its own heater but they do use the second heater as a bias heater. This is one reason you get some real code-gymnastics when you use two colors.

And last, BFB has command modifiers not available in Cura. Basically a lost functionality at that point.

Simplify3D is reported to have a good CubePro profile. They did not attempt to release one for Cube3. I took that as a hint.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    It seems almost like a crime that 3DS would just abandon such a cool little device. And taking something so open and making it secret should be if it isn't. I think Cubify was swimming against the tide of popular opinion by not making the code more open.

I guess if I want all of those fancy options in Cura I'll have to either find another free printer or pick up where you and others left off and try to add to what you have found out.

Thank you, BTW, for all the work you put into solving the filament feeding problem. I have it working with the push fittings but after reading about the B2B project, I think you are right about the push fittings. The only drawback for me is the original cartridges. They are neither plentiful nor inexpensive. The three I have now may be all I ever have, so a hub replacement seems prudent for when they inevitably break from my rough handling.

11. Thanks TommyDee thanked for this post
    Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the best way would be to create a pluggable extension for Cura that can do some post processing on the generated BFB which I haven't looked into. My Cube3 (converted from EkoCycle), has been gathering dust lately (too many other priorities -- you know, life things). But I could look into getting a post-converter framework in place to generate a cube3 file from the generated bfb. But I think the biggest obstacle, is going to be the dual color printing, which we could ignore for now and not allow it to be enabled and essentially treat the cube3 like it only has one color, until we can come up with the mechanism to implement both heads and post-process the bfb to do just that.

13. Thanks TommyDee thanked for this post
    Likes sshotgun liked this post
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    buddybu and TommyDee, I am hip deep into reading the Cube3 File Editor thread. It is a journey through some very sharp minds with only brief glimpses around the blindfold of my ignorance. As I progress I think I am beginning to understand the problems and the development of a solution somewhat better, but I fully expect to have many questions remaining at the end. I have thought to make notes of my questions but they are often answered or rendered moot by subsequent posts. So I don't know if notes will be as helpful as they were in college lectures, those notes were contemporaneous with the discussion, not in review three years later. But I am quite enjoying your discussions. It is more interesting than anything on television even if much of it does go over my head.