Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

High pitch sqweeling noise

I get a high pitch sqweeling noise from the controller box whenever I print. It does not sound like a fan obstruction or anything like that...more of a digital noise.

Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Might be a motor driver overloaded or going wrong hmmm.... not that easy to solve. Where did you get your printer?

Post Thanks / Like
    It could also be something inside the power supply... I'dn't leave it quite unattended...

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bolsoncerrado View Post
    Might be a motor driver overloaded or going wrong hmmm.... not that easy to solve. Where did you get your printer?
    I purchased the CR-10 from GearBest.com and then installed the CR-10s upgrade kit...I believe I got this from 3DPrinter Universe. I will try to grab a video of the noise tonight when I get home and upload it to YouTube. Im going to remove the outter cover as well and give another peak.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    It could be a PWM (pulse width modulation) hum. I have flashlights that do that because of a slow data-rate.
    Maybe you have a stepper set to very slow feed somewhere.
    I am not sure of all the functions for which the CR10 uses PWM to manage power.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think I narrowed down the sound is coming from the power supply. I went ahead an bought a replacement from TH3d Studios...will install and report back as soon as I can.

- - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mouse51180 View Post
    I think I narrowed down the sound is coming from the power supply. I went ahead an bought a replacement from TH3d Studios...will install and report back as soon as I can.
    I have printed a couple times and have not noticed the sqweeling noise any longer since I replaced the power supply. Now on to replacing the fans and making it even quiter.

7. Thanks bolsoncerrado thanked for this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the fans are the noisiest thing in your machine, you're doing pretty darn good

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same problem which was due to the Y-belt touching one of the washers on the idle bearing. The washer was turning and rubbing on the plastic part, producing this squealing noise.

I put a little lube on the washer and the noise disappeared. Not sure it is the best way of solving the problem, but I don't see how to center the belt better on this pulley.

Hope this will help!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I understand right Susanne, you may have an alignment issue. Hear me out though...
    First of all, oils and greases are not a good thing for belts. It breaks down the rubber.

One of the challenges with any belt drive is keeping the two axes parallel.
    If not, the belt tries to walk off the gear. That is the only reason for the flanges on belt drives.
    A perfectly aligned system will never have the belt walk either right or left.

I could be off in your meaning without a picture of the printer and how this is implemented.
    But what I am stating is the reason belts tend to work harder than they need to.