Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Printing 3D text

Hi all,

I have just purchased my very first 3D printer, an AnyCubic i3 Mega. I have absolutely no previous experience with 3D printing or the associated software, so please take it easy with me

I have downloaded quite a few files from thingiverse, however what I would like to do is to print customised/personalised items, such as cake toppers, for friends and family. I have seen designs such as this one
    Screenshot 2018-10-14 at 15.28.53.png

however what I would like to do, is to be able to customise mine, by adding names, or other text such as "Happy Birthday Craig" etc....
    Can anyone please explain how designs like the above are created? What software do people use for creating such designs and how is the design then turned into the 3D file for printing? I would also like to be able to use a variety of different fonts, if that is possible? I work on an iMac, if that makes a difference.

As I have already said, I have absolutely no experience with any of this, so I expect a steep learning curve, however if someone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction, as far as required software (free!) and steps to follow to create something like the above image, I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance of any help guys and my apologies for what are probably very basic questions,

Regards, CraigUK.

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    You might start by looking into S-CAD and Meshmixer for free 3D software. There are more if you look further into the matter of CAD.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, So I don't know if I am on the right tracks or not here!

Firstly, I started off using BLENDER to create this
    Attachment 2869

Then I imported that into CURA, however when I checked, it looks like it will miss out parts of the letters. As you can see from the next picture, where the letters join together (I want them like that because I don't want a "background") the software is leaving a gap (the highlighted grey areas between letters). When I try to print this out, the printer (i3 Mega) also leaves those highlighted areas as gaps in the print.

Screenshot.jpg

Am I doing something wrong and more importantly, is there a way around this issue??

Thanks again guys.

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting. That is a result that some people would pay extra for.

Let me 1st state that I do not know Blender and Cura is a curiosity in some respects.
    However, I am going to suggest a quick fix although it is not necessarily the right fix.

Place each letter on the build plate individually. Now manipulate the individual letters to interfere as you wish the result to be.
    This time Cura should just do the merge the letters without any walls where the two letters intersect.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    Interesting. That is a result that some people would pay extra for.

Let me 1st state that I do not know Blender and Cura is a curiosity in some respects.
    However, I am going to suggest a quick fix although it is not necessarily the right fix.

Place each letter on the build plate individually. Now manipulate the individual letters to interfere as you wish the result to be.
    This time Cura should just do the merge the letters without any walls where the two letters intersect.
    Thanks for your input Tommy, I will give that a try and report back.

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...on a side note - if you are on Windows 10 then you have 3D-Builder by Microsoft. Their file format is .3MF. Cura now reads .3MF.
    This seems an easy way to save arranged build plates. 3D-Builder is fairly efficient with manipulating multiple models.

Just a thought. Enjoy!

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is such a nice post. Please keep sharing such posts. Thanks for all giving the inputs.