Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, that's why I need to get some PETG. Only recently did I learn to change temps so that may be a good reason to buy some.
    ABS is super picky about the room temp and PLA does have its first-layer-adhesion limitations.
    Just need to consider the growing inventory storage requirements.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, and to answer your question, I currently use Fusion 360. I have used a few different CAD software packages over the years and then sort of let myself go for a while. After Getting the printer I jumped into Fusion 360 and am slowly figuring things out again.

- - - - - - - - - -

PETG is strong like lion! Not brittle, very little to no bed adhesion problems on the stock bed, clearly comfortable in the cold and did I mention pretty?

Just in case you decide you have room for it sometime in the future, I used 3D Solutech See Through Blue from Amazon, MakeShaper Clear from MakeShaper and MatterHackers Translucent Red MH Build Series from MatterHackers... No pressure... They just all seemed to work without issue...

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fair enough. Let me know if you need some numbers verified for the chip program station.

Definitely thanks on the filament mini-review for PETG!
    I do like 3D Solutech for PLA. I'll keep an eye out for a deal.
    Last edited by TommyDee; 11-08-2018 at 11:34 PM.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you perchance have the CAD drawing for that chip holder and are you willing to share it? It would be an amazing help in making a negative of it for the socket.

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    These are STEP files that you should be able to import.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KXO...ew?usp=sharing

6. Thanks bobskinner thanked for this post
    Likes bobskinner liked this post
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Files acquired and editing has begun.

Your geniusness has also been noted! That there hub stub was exactly what I needed. Thank you!

- - - - - - - - - -

The last couple of days have been frustrating and rewarding but mostly frustrating... the thing that has kept me sane but has also been the source of my insanity is easily described by one word: threads...

Thanks to your guidance, Tommy, I have done quite a bit of reading on threads and the 3d printing of them. I know what I want and I know what it looks like (it looks very much like your beautiful threads Tommy) and I know what I need to change on a standard thread pattern to achieve what I am looking for however Fusion 360 IS SO ANNOYING!!! There is no easy or straightforward way to modify or create custom thread patterns, and this seems to be a known issue. I have spent countless hours trying to work around the limitations and complexities of Fusion 360 by installing custom scripts and trying every workaround I could find all to no avail... This was the cause of my frustration...

On the rewarding side of things (also still feels slightly bandaid-ish for my open wound of trying to design and draw my own threads in Fusion 360), I have figured out how to modify TommyDee's threads from the very generously shared Solidworks file for the Nutter Fidget Toy! Which just happens to be the thread by which I have hung on to my sanity. It started as a stock slightly scaled up version:

Nutter1.jpg

But I needed MORE! So this is where I figured out how to edit that there Solidworks file and the result was more better:

Nutter2.jpgNutter3.jpg

Ahhhh, so smooth, so satisfying. I have never been a big fidgety kinda guy but this thing is amazing. Thanks Tommy! With a single flick I can get the threaded rod to spin all the way through the nut and out the other side.

I also printed a number of other functional distractions in the meantime (everything is in PETG btw):

FD1.jpg

The ReCube enclosure is on hold until I find out if Tomuro can recompile the code to run on an ATTiny85 development board (digispark). I would prefer the smaller footprint so I have asked him if it might be possible and he is finding out for me. What a great guy!

8. Thanks TommyDee thanked for this post
    3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have zero experience with Fusion 360. Is it parametric?

The idea behind the simple "template" is also a hope for one of the SCAD people to pick it up and codify the section so it can easily be manipulated in SCAD.
    With an understood standard, anyone could make reliable threads that is very printer tolerant.

Even in Creo (current Pro|Engineer from PTC) Helical threads are a nightmare. I've finally got to the bottom of it and now it is a library feature easily implemented.

I am glad to see someone that understands this little explored engineering system. Thanks for elaborating your experience.

Definitely need to place that order for PETG!

- - - - - - - - - -

I forgot I spelled everything out about 3D print threads in the Nutter part. Thanks for the reminder.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fusion is para-pain-in-the-posterior is what it is... No, it is parametric but you also have the option of direct modeling but I have only played with the parametric.

One would think it would be somewhat easy to create a custom profile thread pattern.

In Fusion you cannot construct or draw a simple helix without a custom (user made) script. If you want a helical path on the outside of a cylinder, for example, you have to create a coil and then manipulate it until it just barely cuts into the cylinder, then hide the coil and then you have something that resembles a helical path...

Well, I spent the day editing one of the stock Fusion 360 thread profile xml files... There appears to be light at the end of what is a very long tunnel!

I have successfully modified a metric 20mmx3mm thread profile to have a 90degree included thread angle and same width on the inner and outer diameters of the thread. I don't have nice rounded edges yet but this is a start. I am now trying to figure out what tolerance I need to build in for it to work nicely when 3d printed. I have one that is too loose and one borderline too tight... Somewhere in between is happening when I get home tomorrow afternoon.

I also need to figure out how to easily create other sizes without needing to scale parts all the time and without having to edit the hundreds of individual sizes in the xml file...

Yes, order PETG, you know you want to...

And yes, I saw that your nuts and bolts were a remix of your nutter so that is where I went looking for more info. I drew that template in Fusion and tried to sweep it along a helical rail and that is where my headaches began yesterday. If you do get a profile to sweep along the rail it then proceeds to rotate/twist about the axis in line with the rail also. So a second path was required to prevent that but that just lead to more complexities and frustration...
    To bed with me!

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't feel lonely. Creo people have beaten their head against the wall since day one with Helical Sweep.

Funny how when I run a thread in PLA, it is a nice loose flick-to-spin fit. Then I run the same in ABS and it has a nice "thread lock" effect.

That is how I know I got the clearance right

I was playing with a tapered thread last night... That's a little tougher in the parametric sketcher.

- - - - - - - - - -

...can you wrap a line around a cylinder for your helical guide?

- - - - - - - - - -

Looks like I'll be testing NovaMaker clear PETG. Price was right with free shipping on Amazon

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    What is the tapered thread for?

I can wrap a helical line around a cylinder thanks to a script somebody wrote but the method to successfully sweep the profile I want along it still eludes me...
    Editing the thread xml file has been the least frustrating and most method successful yet. I have my 20mm x 3mm thread down now and it works swimmingly! Here are some pictures of the process/progression... (I may have acquired a non-cube/ekocycle printer or 2 of my own over the past couple of weeks that were also involved in the making of these...)

NutsAndBolts.jpg

I am happy with the results thus far in PLA and PETG. Tommy, I shamelessly imitated your chamfers cause I liked them but besides being inspired by yours, these were completely of my own making...

- - - - - - - - - -

Oh, welcome to the dark side! For that price the PETG is definitely worth a try! You can be the guinea pig, let me know how it prints and I can decide if if I will purchase it also.