Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Running PETG on Cube3

You've noticed that you can make Ekocycle print files, right?
    ... Just select the Ekocycle as your offline printer and yadayadayada...
    (Note here that I've seen distinction between ABS clear and ABS tinted in 3DS literature. Clear was noted to run 5 degrees cooler.)

Considering we need to change the file header, this is a process that will involve the file converters.

Export your build file or save your build file directly to disc.
    Decode the file (drag and drop on cube-decoder.exe)
    Remove the Kanji from the bottom of the generated file. Sometimes you will see Kanji at the top of the file. Just delete with notepad.exe.
    Search/replace: M104 S265 and replace with M104 S260
    Search/replace: M204 S265 and replace with M204 S260
    This makes sure you don't push your Cube3 past the original limit. I cannot say for sure there is any difference, but Ekocycle runs the heaters up to 265*C and Cube3 up to 260*C. To me, this is a safeguard. There are only a couple of calls at this temperature using clear as a material for the slicer.

Change the following header lines:
    ^Firmware:V1.14B
    ^Minfirmware:V1.14B
    ^PrinterModel:CUBE3
    ^MaterialCodeE1:92 (for instance... this is teal PLA; this must match your cartridge chip for material type) 108 is a coral ABS

The rest doesn't matter.
    Save and encode the file, and print on your Cube3 using an SD drive.

Do you want to see what the part looks like in the file? Open it with CubePro

There is the obvious "just change the temperature" option, but I haven't bought into the rumor that Cube3 uses the best of 3DS slicers.
    Going through some comparisons of some key printing elements, and experiencing the finer details of how to affect prints, I can say with certainty that the Ekocycle slicer is very much the same as Cube3, but the feed and speed profiles are much more aligned with an earlier CubePro release.

f.PNG

NovaMaker clear PETG printed on Cube3/Lokbuild using the method described above.

g.PNG Cubepro V1.87 opening the converted file (right side of the screen -OPEN-)
    Last edited by TommyDee; 11-20-2018 at 06:44 AM.

2. Thanks bolsoncerrado thanked for this post
    Likes bobskinner liked this post
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tommy! That looks like it turned out quite nicely! Did you have any difficulties with your foray into PETG on the Cube 3?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Probably the least remarkable thing I've done on the Cube to date

Thank you for your unrelenting "encouragement"

5. Likes bobskinner liked this post
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Woohoo! I am glad it worked out. It would have been soul crushing to have recommended it so strongly only to have it suck on the Cube 3...

- - - - - - - - - -

Plus, it's SO SHINY!!!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is a mesmerizing material while it's printing. You can see the heat dissipate as it goes from glassy to matte. Good troubleshooting tool.

But I hear you. I send junk filament to do weed-eater duty

- - - - - - - - - -

I've been printing a good number of things with the PETG running the EkoCycle slicer.

I gave up changing the temperature so it is running at 265*C for a few calls in the print-file.
    I just change the 4 header calls and put the file on a USB drive.

The LokBuild is a little touchier about PETG.
    I need to keep the build plate very clean; wash with mild dish-soap and dry with a clean towel.
    A slightly elevated temperature of the plate helps too. A 10-second stove warming is sufficient.
    Larger areas of 1st layer prints helps but if you only have a small contact area, I suggest a little Cube-Glue or similar.
    I've put a single streak of glue on the plate and just wipe it with a wet finger after a print and it is ready to go again.

I also set the material in the EkoCycle config to clear since I have clear PETG.
    There may be differences between clear and colored 3DS PETG settings.
    Regardless, these files are printing nicely.

I've run into one part that prints oversized. I had a similar issue with ABS.
    The Bowden tube coupling nut to the nozzle (B2B) is tighter than it should be.
    PLA solves this perfectly, but this is a strange phenomena.
    Otherwise, I'd say PETG is the perfect union of PLA and ABS for basic printing.

On the downside is unsupported things like shafts. As they get taller, they get weaker.
    Compared to PLA, PETG is softer. This causes the print to move with the nozzle.
    The result should be obvious.

Now as to the difficulties this type of material substitution. First thing was to pick a chip for PETG.
    PLA doesn't get hot enough for purge or test prints. But you will never carbonize the tip with carbon from excessive heat.
    ABS may be suitable. The max temp in Cube3 is 260*C and the top end of PETG gets real close to that.
    This means purge should work well and even the test print. So an ABS chip seems to be more useful.

- - - - - - - - - -

...and for another consideration for Ekocycle owners:

I'm running my Inland ABS yellow (yes, the same old spool!) using an Ekocycle profile.
    Remember that this Inland ABS was terrible at putting little blow-holes all over my prints using the Cube3 ABS slicer.
    To solve this, I reduced the temperature and reduced the retractions.
    Well, Ekocycle does both of these.
    Not as drastic a reduction on the retract as I would like, but still better than what CubePrint does for Cube3 slice files.
    Temperatures are perfect, and I suspect many 3rd party ABS will think 245*C is a lot more comfortable than 260*C.
    So for Ekocycle owners, just load up some 3rd party ABS that likes 245*C and see what happens.
    You may be pleasantly surprised.
    As to Cube3 owners... just change those 4 headers in the Ekocycle generated print file and run it on your 3rd party ABS.

- - - - - - - - - -

These are the 3 materials, and they all exhibit different characteristics even though it is the same print.

h.PNG

With regard to how CubePrint v4.03 works with our printers, there are differences in the very same print.
    You probably recognize this as the B2B small spool post.
    Initially, I printed them with PLA. Perfectly good for the purpose.
    I printed ABS nuts to stay inside the B2B cartridges. The PLA post spins those ABS nuts on without any resistance.
    Then I printed the some PETG nuts and I have some PLA nuts for the spool-side.

Funny, I print the PETG post and the PETG nuts just lock onto it. They spin on okay at the top, but the lower threads are tight.
    I put the ABS nut on there, nice snug fit.
    Put the PLA nut on the PETG post; no issue. Not free running but loose enough.
    So I printed an ABS post using the PETG print file.
    This is such a sweet print! This time the PETG nuts work, a little tight, but acceptable.
    PLA nuts, no issue. ABS nut, again, a little tight but acceptable.

This has been a fairly common occurrence in all the time I've been running these printers.
    Now we add PETG and it too has its own characteristics.
    One of which is "cold welding". This is when 2 materials "meld" together without any added effort.
    This is how screws tend to cease. However, it appears that PETG too has a tendency to "stick" significantly.
    The engineering fix for this is dissimilar materials. In this case, PETG and ABS make some pretty nice partners if PLA it restricted for your application.

- - - - - - - - - -

Lokbuild and glue...

I've run 10 prints on this small streak of glue. On a stock build plate, the glue would have remained with the part. Lokbuild tends to hold the glue -much- better.

i.PNG

- - - - - - - - - -

I got some Amazon Basics black PETG...

First thing I noticed is that the temperature range is super small... 230-240*C.
    Never seen anyone offering anything this specific in range.

It is nicely opaque... surprisingly, actually. Which means that this has a lot of color pellets in the mix.
    Sure enough, this is a little fussier. I ran a 235*C print and it came apart like spaghetti.
    Then I ran a normal Ekocycle print and it did much better.
    But... due to the extra color pellets, it has a much greater tendency to warp as well.
    And has more trouble sticking to LokBuild.

Bottom line, you need to treat this filament more like ABS.

The clear PETG I got earlier is much more compliant. This will be a learning adventure

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a great bunch of observations and data points, TD. We are all learning from you. Thanks for that!

On switching between Ekocycle slicer and Cube 3 slicer: I've found the only parameters that must be changed are the PrinterModel and MaterialCodeE1 (or 2). The machine doesn't seem to care about Firmware and Minfirmware as long as they are the same value.

The .cube3 file decoder I am using automagically eliminates the kanji from the front of the file, and I don't bother with that at the bottom - I just leave it. The encoder and machine don't seem to care. This avoids one editing step.

I use Notepad++ to edit the files. It's Regex pattern matching and 'find all in file' make it really easy to find and fix commands.

On cartridge chips: Do you think the machine does something different depending on which chip is installed - i.e., does it execute the bfb instructions differently? Or does it simply check to verify the chip agrees with the "MaterialCodeEx" header value, then just run whatever bfb code is in the file? I haven't tried to check this, but I think I will.

I have printed Ekocycle (PET + coke bottles) filament as ABS in Cube 3, and it did well. It's nice to know you have done it the other way and it works!
    ------
    Have you (or someone) posted a list of the MaterialCode values vs colors somewhere? If not, I have a list that Tomuro provided with the chip programmer.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello John.

I only know that there is a min-firmware XML file on the Cube's SD. That may only support the CubePrint app. come to think about it.

The garble at the bottom of the file just makes it slow to process. Easy enough to dump even in a 50mb file. I do remembe rthe system just ignoring the extra stuff.
    The real take-away is that it does not re-code into a usable image, and that is why we need to use the SD rather than WiFi.

Can't you make a script in Notepad++ to remove the lower section?

ABS is about 10 degrees hotter than PETG. I was going the other way around with great success... 3rd party ABS running an Ekocycle profile.
    ...and here is why:

Cube3 slicers are hell on retracts. They run an M227 using 450 for the retract speed/distance. This entrained air into the melt when using ABS. ...but 3DS' special formula ABS is tolerant of this motion even after our bowden upgrades. Shapemaker and Inland are -not-. Why such an aggressive move? Because the original cartridge bowden tubes stretched! And they stretched a lot. The aggressive retract is to make up for this... part is the relaxing of the tube, followed by actual small amount of retract. This is the Cube3.
    Ekocycle on the other hand stopped M227 at 375 for retract speed and distance. This was enough to solve the issue with Inland. I did something very similar with the Makeshaper ABS, where it went from unusable to perfectly gorgeous prints. So it comes down to the unique slicer used for PETG and the development level that it reached.
    What is different in our situation is the stiffer bowden tube. It doesn't stretch as much. I suspect that where our little "blob" comes from in PLA as well. A halving of the retracts in PLA files should also yield smoother seems. Maybe now you are seeing why I'd like to automate this process as much as possible.

Ah!... the chips and materials! Yes, this is the key to understanding the slicers and the available configuration files. 3DS has a serious material plan in the longrun. You can tell it all fell apart, but the hooks are already there. They locked in 4 materials: ABS, PLA, RPET, and WSS (Recycled PET and Washable Support Structures).

Chips are parsed twice; once for the CubePrint 4.03 app and once for the slicer. The config for CubePrint has a profile for every material and within each material, there is an entry for the number of walls (hollow, strong, solid). This provides certain input for the slicer and the app itself. Chips are also parsed for the slicer with a build-config. Here, the material divisions include layer thickness and looses the print quality settings (already established in the app). This makes these two configs easy to understand. And it is these two configs that we want access too to make meaningful changes.

F/W operations based on chips = zero Software operations based on chips = everything

Both config files are basically profile files. They manage multiple profiles with possible external hooks. Structural supports seem to need tweaking so they kept these as external hooks.
    The material calls come from the Cubify app. Most of the -exotic- materials were never implemented. I suspect there are hooks in the config files that would open up more materials than the 4 we all know and love. However, it may not matter, because in order to use the exotics you also need a chip to match it. I know we can do that, but that would be a very unique chip which is not what we do generally. We want to keep this simple, right?

So what can you do with one chip? Actually, what can't you do with one chip... you cannot reliably purge or run a test print. You have to be very careful not to burn any filament in the tip as carbon can destroy a tip. With that limitation understood, there are no limits if you only have one chip. The reason I say this is the fact that we have all the profiles in hand! What I am getting at is that in config, you can set PLA to look like anything! Even if we cannot wake up the hidden buttons in the app, we can print a flex profile.

I say this with great confidence from what I've seen so far in the current Cube3 files. And there is light at the end of tunnel with Bob's success in modifying a CubePro config file. If you have the chance, John, take a look at decoding and re-coding the Cube3ConfigurationCube123.XML and Cube3Build_Config_cube_3.XML (Windows programs x86 / 3dsystems folder)
    The current decoder destroys the header but Bob gt there somehow. I haven't got it to work reliably yet.

The next step to making the config files accessible is to do the same with CubePro v1.87. That version supports the recoded files and we should be able to mimic Cube3 with the CubePro app by tweaking the configs to look like Cube3. There is also a switch in there that I'd like to try... "Cube3 true"

If you can offer guidance on this config conversion, life will move forward.

And yes, I've seen the material codes somewhere. I just need to remember 2... 92 (PLA) and 108 (ABS) I just need to remember "200"

- - - - - - - - - -

There is one other notable aspect of the config files... seems there is distinction between all-caps variables and conventional variables. I've seen this to mean which variables are truly user variable and others are system settings.

- - - - - - - - - -

Notepad++ script...

replace 4 instances common on all files
    look for M107
    move cursor to the end of only "M107" instance
    delete to EOF

- - - - - - - - - -

Thanks John for getting me the shortcut to reach the EOF() with a 3-finger'd keystroke. Works wonders in notepad and notepad++.

How do you tell Notepad++ to delete the current line in script?

Anyway, back to printing the black Amazon.com PETG. This is the stuff that curled on me about as much as ABS does on CubeGlue/LokBuild.
    Again, suspecting the color pellets for the less than stellar performance, I decided to try an ABS profile and modifying the following:
    Temp: M104 S245 (was S260)
    Retract: M227 P350/P300 (was 450/400) S350/S300 (was 450/400)
    whateverthisdoes: M228 P0 S350/S300 (was S450/S400)

This time I am printing the B2B printhead nozzle with the purge tower (cooling tower).
    Little chance of warping with this footprint. The idea is to dial in the temperature and the retractions for this particular filament.
    I will have to treat this stuff a lot more like ABS.
    I am not sure if there is a significant difference between an ABS slicer profile and an Ekocycle slicer profile.
    I'll have to look into that now that I think of it.

impressive!
    d.PNG
    ...and not so much!
    e.PNG
    245 degrees using an ABS profile... and some seemingly extremely sticky glue.
    but it did have some heat related issues too:
    f.PNG

Now that print upset me a lot! So I went back and made a Ekocycle of just the nozzle housing.
    No purge tower this time so apples and oranges do apply.

But with ABS prints, I've never been able to print this part as a lone part...
    guess what, PETG can!

g.PNG
    Insanely accurate! Thread was perfect. I needed to sand down the inner wall for the ABS core, but hey, this is amazing!

So amazing as a matter of fact that I am also running the MakeShaper ABS to see if this is a simple fluke.
    Now I am really curious as to which of the settings below are responsible for the huge difference.

- - - - - - - - - -

I like this, and I am also quite surprised at how much difference there is between the ABS and PETG settings:
    please note that this forum does not always faithfully reproduce the passed values leaving out or adding minus symbols (-).
    Please be careful cutting and pasting from these posts.

The values below are based on Cube3 V4.03 configuration file. There are 156 entries in both and their variable names are all consistent.
    However, it seems half the values are different; some a small difference and some significant. Have a look. First value is ABS and second is RPET (Recycled PET) ; the T/F logic should be obvious:

CUBE_LAYER_THICKNESS 0.1925 0.1925 TRUE
    LayerStartingOffset 0.22 0.32 FALSE
    QuickLayerPause -1 -1 TRUE
    ZJumpDistance 2 2 TRUE
    ZJumpVelocity 60 60 TRUE
    ZJumpMinVectorThreshold 5 5 TRUE
    CUBE_DRAW_NO_RAFT_FIRSTLAYER_TEMP 260 245 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_NO_RAFT_FIRSTLAYER_BORDER_EXTRUDER_RPM 40 40 TRUE
    CUBE_DRAW_NO_RAFT_FIRSTLAYER_FILL_EXTRUDER_RPM 36 36 TRUE
    BoundaryEndPoinRetraction 0.05 0.05 TRUE
    BoundaryEndPoinRetractionExtra 0.05 0.05 TRUE
    QuickLayerPartFanOn TRUE TRUE TRUE
    PartFanOnLayer 0 10 FALSE
    QuickLayerTemperature 260 250 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_NO_RAFT_FIRSTLAYER_BORDER_SPEED 1800 1800 TRUE
    CUBE_DRAW_NO_RAFT_FIRSTLAYER_FILL_SPEED 1800 1800 TRUE
    CUBE_DRAW_NO_RAFT_FIRSTLAYER_SUPPORT_SPEED 1250 1250 TRUE
    CUBE_INITIAL_DWELL_TIME 1 1 TRUE
    CUBE_HATCH_RETRACTION 0.3 0.4 FALSE
    CUBE_FILL_RETRACTION 0.15 0.1 FALSE
    CUBE_NEW_RETRACTION TRUE TRUE TRUE
    CUBE_MIN_LAYER_TIME 23 23 TRUE
    CUBE_MIN_LAYER_DIST 10 13.5 FALSE
    CUBE_JUMP_SPEED 8000 8500 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_BORDER_SPEED 1800 1500 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_SUPPORT_SPEED 2500 2000 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_HATCH_SPEED 3850 2500 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_FILL_SPEED_UP 2350 2000 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_FILL_SPEED_DOWN 2350 2000 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_RAFT_SPEED 1050 1050 TRUE
    CUBE_DRAW_RAFT_PLATFORM_SPEED 600 900 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_RAFT_PART_SPEED 2100 2100 TRUE
    CUBE_DRAW_SHORT_SPEED 2500 2000 FALSE
    PrimeSteps 450 375 FALSE
    ReverseSteps 450 375 FALSE
    PrimeExtruder 600 400 FALSE
    ReverseExtruder 800 800 TRUE
    PrimeHoldOff 0 0 TRUE
    ReverseHoldOff 450 375 FALSE
    FanPWM 100 100 TRUE
    CUBE_EXTRUDER_PREWARM_TEMP 245 240 FALSE
    CUBE_EXTRUDER_BUILD_TEMP 260 250 FALSE
    CUBE_EXTRUDER_STANDBY_TEMP 210 210 TRUE
    CUBE_EXTRUDER_SPIKE_TEMP 260 265 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_BORDER_EXTRUDER_SPEED 21 18 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_SUPPORT_EXTRUDER_SPEED 32 25 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_HATCH_EXTRUDER_SPEED 65 30 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_FILL_EXTRUDER_SPEED_UP 36 30 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_FILL_EXTRUDER_SPEED_DOWN 36 33 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_RAFT_EXTRUDER_SPEED 29 32 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_RAFT_PLATFORM_EXTRUDER_SPEED 29 35 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_RAFT_PART_EXTRUDER_SPEED 29 32 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_SHORT_EXTRUDER_SPEED 14 20 FALSE
    CUBE_FILL_DOWN_ANGLE -45 -45 TRUE
    CUBE_FILL_DOWN_SPACING 0.6 0.6 TRUE
    CUBE_FILL_SPACING 0.55 0.55 TRUE
    CUBE_MIN_FILL_VECTOR 0.75 1.25 FALSE
    QuickLayerPartFanPWM 100 100 TRUE
    QuickLayerJumpSpeed 7000 7000 TRUE
    PreToolChangeReverseNotRetractingSteps 750 700 FALSE
    PreToolChangeReverseRetractingSteps 300 350 FALSE
    PostToolChangeReverseNumberofSteps 10 10 TRUE
    ToolChangeReverseRPM 500 500 TRUE
    ToolChangePurgeNumberofSteps 750 700 FALSE
    ToolChangePurgeRPM 50 50 TRUE
    MaintReverseNotRetractingSteps 75 350 FALSE
    MaintReverseRetractingSteps 50 150 FALSE
    PurgeStripRPM 40 40 TRUE
    PurgeStripOffset 1.8 1.8 TRUE
    PurgeStripSpeed 800 800 TRUE
    GlueDryTime 60 60 TRUE
    SeamToBack TRUE TRUE TRUE
    PurgePattern 2 2 TRUE
    PrimeBorderFirst TRUE TRUE TRUE
    PurgeRaftSpeed 827 827 TRUE
    PurgeRaftRPM 45 45 TRUE
    SmartHatchandFillPath TRUE TRUE TRUE
    RetractMinThreshold 3 4 FALSE
    DiamondRetract 0.05 0.05 TRUE
    SpanningUpFillSpeed 2000 2000 TRUE
    SpanningUpFillRPM 38 38 TRUE
    SpanningDownFillSpeed 2000 2000 TRUE
    SpanningDownFillRPM 38 38 TRUE
    SpanningDownFillSpacing 12 12 TRUE
    SpanningDownFillSpacingOnWSS 12 0.6 FALSE
    AccelStart 0 0 TRUE
    DecelStop 0 0 TRUE
    AccelRate 5000 5000 TRUE
    DecelRate 5000 5000 TRUE
    AccelTheshold 1000 1000 TRUE
    RepurgeCount 50 10 FALSE
    StartupPurgeSteps 600 700 FALSE
    StartupPurgeRPM 50 35 FALSE
    QLHatchLimit 0.5 0.5 TRUE
    QLFillLimit 0.8 0.8 TRUE
    QLBoundaryLimit 0.5 0.5 TRUE
    MiniReverseSteps 10 10 TRUE
    MiniReverseRPM 50 50 TRUE
    SlowHatchSpeed 3000 3000 TRUE
    NumOfSlowHatchLayers 3 3 TRUE
    RetractMinThresholdSupport 20 20 TRUE
    CUBE_DRAW_HATCH_EXTRUDER_SPEED_HEX 40 28 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_HATCH_EXTRUDER_SPEED_DIAMOND 40 28 FALSE
    AdjustQuickLayerSpeed TRUE TRUE TRUE
    MulticolorTempOffset 0 0 TRUE
    FirstLayerRPMBorder 40 37 FALSE
    FirstLayerRPMBorderOnABS 21 21 TRUE
    FirstLayerRPMBorderOnPLA 21 21 TRUE
    FirstLayerSpeedBorder 1302 1800 FALSE
    FirstLayerSpeedBorderOnABS 1800 1800 TRUE
    FirstLayerSpeedBorderOnPLA 1800 1800 TRUE
    FirstLayerTempBorder 260 250 FALSE
    FirstLayerTempBorderOnABS 257 255 FALSE
    FirstLayerTempBorderOnPLA 257 255 FALSE
    FirstLayerRPMSupport 34 34 TRUE
    FirstLayerRPMSupportOnABS 34 34 TRUE
    FirstLayerRPMSupportOnPLA 34 34 TRUE
    FirstLayerSpeedSupport 700 500 FALSE
    FirstLayerSpeedSupportOnABS 2500 2500 TRUE
    FirstLayerSpeedSupportOnPLA 2500 2500 TRUE
    FirstLayerTempSupport 257 250 FALSE
    FirstLayerTempSupportOnABS 257 255 FALSE
    FirstLayerTempSupportOnPLA 257 255 FALSE
    FirstLayerRPMFill 40 29 FALSE
    FirstLayerRPMFillOnABS 36 36 TRUE
    FirstLayerRPMFillOnPLA 36 36 TRUE
    FirstLayerSpeedFill 1800 1400 FALSE
    FirstLayerSpeedFillOnABS 2350 2350 TRUE
    FirstLayerSpeedFillOnPLA 2350 2350 TRUE
    FirstLayerTempFill 260 250 FALSE
    FirstLayerTempFillOnABS 260 255 FALSE
    FirstLayerTempFillOnPLA 260 255 FALSE
    RaftPlatformSpacing 3 3 TRUE
    RaftSpacing 2 2 TRUE
    RaftInterfaceSpacing 1 1 TRUE
    ExtruderCurrent 450 500 FALSE
    MinLineHatchLength 2 3 FALSE
    QLPrimeSteps 400 300 FALSE
    QLReverseSteps 400 300 FALSE
    QLPrimeExtruder 750 400 FALSE
    QLReverseExtruder 1000 800 FALSE
    QLPrimeHoldOff 0 0 TRUE
    QLReverseHoldOff 400 300 FALSE
    MinIslandArea 2 2 TRUE
    ShortFillLength 3 3 TRUE
    ShortFillRPM 27 20 FALSE
    SkirtFillSpeedFirst 1299 1400 FALSE
    SkirtFillRPMFirst 33 29 FALSE
    SkirtFillSpeedSecond 1800 1700 FALSE
    SkirtFillRPMSecond 37 29 FALSE
    SmallestFill 0.7 1.1 FALSE
    SmallestFillRPM 32 20 FALSE
    SmallestFillSpeed 2350 2000 FALSE
    ToolChangeStandbyTempWait FALSE FALSE TRUE

- - - - - - - - - -

THESE ARE ALL THE ENTRIES THAT ARE DIFFERENT (FALSE from list above): ABS on the left and RPET on the right.

LayerStartingOffset 0.22 0.32
    CUBE_DRAW_NO_RAFT_FIRSTLAYER_TEMP 260 245
    PartFanOnLayer 0 10
    QuickLayerTemperature 260 250
    CUBE_HATCH_RETRACTION 0.3 0.4
    CUBE_FILL_RETRACTION 0.15 0.1
    CUBE_MIN_LAYER_DIST 10 13.5
    CUBE_JUMP_SPEED 8000 8500
    CUBE_DRAW_BORDER_SPEED 1800 1500
    CUBE_DRAW_SUPPORT_SPEED 2500 2000
    CUBE_DRAW_HATCH_SPEED 3850 2500
    CUBE_DRAW_FILL_SPEED_UP 2350 2000
    CUBE_DRAW_FILL_SPEED_DOWN 2350 2000
    CUBE_DRAW_RAFT_PLATFORM_SPEED 600 900
    CUBE_DRAW_SHORT_SPEED 2500 2000
    PrimeSteps 450 375
    ReverseSteps 450 375
    PrimeExtruder 600 400
    ReverseHoldOff 450 375
    CUBE_EXTRUDER_PREWARM_TEMP 245 240
    CUBE_EXTRUDER_BUILD_TEMP 260 250
    CUBE_EXTRUDER_SPIKE_TEMP 260 265
    CUBE_DRAW_BORDER_EXTRUDER_SPEED 21 18
    CUBE_DRAW_SUPPORT_EXTRUDER_SPEED 32 25
    CUBE_DRAW_HATCH_EXTRUDER_SPEED 65 30
    CUBE_DRAW_FILL_EXTRUDER_SPEED_UP 36 30
    CUBE_DRAW_FILL_EXTRUDER_SPEED_DOWN 36 33
    CUBE_DRAW_RAFT_EXTRUDER_SPEED 29 32
    CUBE_DRAW_RAFT_PLATFORM_EXTRUDER_SPEED 29 35
    CUBE_DRAW_RAFT_PART_EXTRUDER_SPEED 29 32
    CUBE_DRAW_SHORT_EXTRUDER_SPEED 14 20
    CUBE_MIN_FILL_VECTOR 0.75 1.25
    PreToolChangeReverseNotRetractingSteps 750 700
    PreToolChangeReverseRetractingSteps 300 350
    ToolChangePurgeNumberofSteps 750 700
    MaintReverseNotRetractingSteps 75 350
    MaintReverseRetractingSteps 50 150
    RetractMinThreshold 3 4
    SpanningDownFillSpacingOnWSS 12 0.6
    RepurgeCount 50 10
    StartupPurgeSteps 600 700
    StartupPurgeRPM 50 35
    CUBE_DRAW_HATCH_EXTRUDER_SPEED_HEX 40 28
    CUBE_DRAW_HATCH_EXTRUDER_SPEED_DIAMOND 40 28
    FirstLayerRPMBorder 40 37
    FirstLayerSpeedBorder 1302 1800
    FirstLayerTempBorder 260 250
    FirstLayerTempBorderOnABS 257 255
    FirstLayerTempBorderOnPLA 257 255
    FirstLayerSpeedSupport 700 500
    FirstLayerTempSupport 257 250
    FirstLayerTempSupportOnABS 257 255
    FirstLayerTempSupportOnPLA 257 255
    FirstLayerRPMFill 40 29
    FirstLayerSpeedFill 1800 1400
    FirstLayerTempFill 260 250
    FirstLayerTempFillOnABS 260 255
    FirstLayerTempFillOnPLA 260 255
    ExtruderCurrent 450 500
    MinLineHatchLength 2 3
    QLPrimeSteps 400 300
    QLReverseSteps 400 300
    QLPrimeExtruder 750 400
    QLReverseExtruder 1000 800
    QLReverseHoldOff 400 300
    ShortFillRPM 27 20
    SkirtFillSpeedFirst 1299 1400
    SkirtFillRPMFirst 33 29
    SkirtFillSpeedSecond 1800 1700
    SkirtFillRPMSecond 37 29
    SmallestFill 0.7 1.1
    SmallestFillRPM 32 20
    SmallestFillSpeed 2350 2000

- - - - - - - - - -

Again, notice the fully capitalized variables v. the non.
    Direct g-code v. modifiers?
    These data are what are passed onto the slicer.
    Notice that fully capitalized lines read like primary inputs to the slicer.
    It should be very easy to see how these are applied in the final output file.

Call > ABS > PETG > match?
    CUBE_LAYER_THICKNESS 0.1925 0.1925 TRUE
    CUBE_DRAW_NO_RAFT_FIRSTLAYER_TEMP 260 245 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_NO_RAFT_FIRSTLAYER_BORDER_EXTRUDER_RPM 40 40 TRUE
    CUBE_DRAW_NO_RAFT_FIRSTLAYER_FILL_EXTRUDER_RPM 36 36 TRUE
    CUBE_DRAW_NO_RAFT_FIRSTLAYER_BORDER_SPEED 1800 1800 TRUE
    CUBE_DRAW_NO_RAFT_FIRSTLAYER_FILL_SPEED 1800 1800 TRUE
    CUBE_DRAW_NO_RAFT_FIRSTLAYER_SUPPORT_SPEED 1250 1250 TRUE
    CUBE_INITIAL_DWELL_TIME 1 1 TRUE
    CUBE_HATCH_RETRACTION 0.3 0.4 FALSE
    CUBE_FILL_RETRACTION 0.15 0.1 FALSE
    CUBE_NEW_RETRACTION TRUE TRUE TRUE
    CUBE_MIN_LAYER_TIME 23 23 TRUE
    CUBE_MIN_LAYER_DIST 10 13.5 FALSE
    CUBE_JUMP_SPEED 8000 8500 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_BORDER_SPEED 1800 1500 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_SUPPORT_SPEED 2500 2000 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_HATCH_SPEED 3850 2500 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_FILL_SPEED_UP 2350 2000 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_FILL_SPEED_DOWN 2350 2000 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_RAFT_SPEED 1050 1050 TRUE
    CUBE_DRAW_RAFT_PLATFORM_SPEED 600 900 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_RAFT_PART_SPEED 2100 2100 TRUE
    CUBE_DRAW_SHORT_SPEED 2500 2000 FALSE
    CUBE_EXTRUDER_PREWARM_TEMP 245 240 FALSE
    CUBE_EXTRUDER_BUILD_TEMP 260 250 FALSE
    CUBE_EXTRUDER_STANDBY_TEMP 210 210 TRUE
    CUBE_EXTRUDER_SPIKE_TEMP 260 265 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_BORDER_EXTRUDER_SPEED 21 18 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_SUPPORT_EXTRUDER_SPEED 32 25 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_HATCH_EXTRUDER_SPEED 65 30 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_FILL_EXTRUDER_SPEED_UP 36 30 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_FILL_EXTRUDER_SPEED_DOWN 36 33 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_RAFT_EXTRUDER_SPEED 29 32 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_RAFT_PLATFORM_EXTRUDER_SPEED 29 35 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_RAFT_PART_EXTRUDER_SPEED 29 32 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_SHORT_EXTRUDER_SPEED 14 20 FALSE
    CUBE_FILL_DOWN_ANGLE -45 -45 TRUE
    CUBE_FILL_DOWN_SPACING 0.6 0.6 TRUE
    CUBE_FILL_SPACING 0.55 0.55 TRUE
    CUBE_MIN_FILL_VECTOR 0.75 1.25 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_HATCH_EXTRUDER_SPEED_HEX 40 28 FALSE
    CUBE_DRAW_HATCH_EXTRUDER_SPEED_DIAMOND 40 28 FALSE

- - - - - - - - - -

Okay, now I am really confused

h.PNG

Talk about -in-your-face- ! -

Remember all that fuss and work to get Cube3 ABS profile to print 3rd party ABS -correctly-?

Well, here it is in all its glory, USE EKOCYCLE!

I took the same file I printed the black PETG with and printed this MakeShaper natural ABS. And it is PERFECT!
    The only thing that got in my way was the different offset for PETG. -Very- light touch to the build plate on my machine.

- - - - - - - - - -

I'm getting close to tweak all the B2B parts for PETG printing.
    Down to the bulkheads right now.
    Amazing how sticky threads can get in PETG!

Also a quick updated cartridge saver... Now has the Cube3 logo.

cartsaverii.PNG
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2931422

- - - - - - - - - -

This is insane!

Everyone that has ever tried to create Marlin on a Cube3 has failed without extreme measures.
    ABS Marvin turns his head into a pile of goo.
    PLA Marvin has blobitis along with hook-deformities.
    PETG Marvin...

b.PNG

Perfection!

This Marvin looks as good as the ABS Marvin I can print from 3D Builder.
    That means at one time, the ABS formula for Cube3 was pretty much dialed in.
    Makes one wonder what happened.

- - - - - - - - - -

Another week in on making black PETG parts with the Amazon filament. This stuff curls! Just to get this out there. The NovaMaker clear is much more "relaxed" on the print bed.

I have been making a very consistent change in all my print files for running this PETG. Over a dozen applications so far and absolutely excellent prints.
    One caveat; PETG, 3DS ABS, and PLA all come out slightly different in geometry! This means that if something fits with PLA, it may not fit with PETG.
    This is not new, however. I've been chasing this issue with the Cube3 when it comes to mating ABS parts together that work perfectly with default PLA prints.

First of all I print using the Ekocycle profile in CubePrint 4.03. I export the file and decode it.
    I remove the image from the bottom (find the last M107 and delete to EOF - select end of M107 and ctrl-shift-end del)
    Replace the 4 header requirements; firmware, platform, and material(s)
    Remove the motion from the wiper box (second G1 call moving to X-95.500...)
    Change the velocity of the first G1 call onto the plate from 8500 to 5000 (G1 X-nnn Y-nnn Znnn F8500.0)
    Change all the temperature calls to 250 max (M104 S265 > M104 S250 & M204 S265 > M204 S250)
    Encode and use a USB drive to print.

Without any other setting changes, these prints exhibit no blobs and prints reliably. If you have your gap set to perfection, you also get a beautiful blend of the first few layers with the rest of the print. This is something I've never achieved reliably with PLA or ABS settings.

Again, be aware! Each material has a different initial offset -beyond- the gap you set. So if your gap is a healthy 250um, it will add whatever the first Z-setting is in your print file. In the case of PETG, this setting is 0.32mm. For PLA it is 0.22 and for ABS it is 0.25. The difference for PETG is significant. It is actually enough to add blue tape to your build plate to make up the difference if you want to keep a common gap setting for all materials.

The Amazon PETG needs glue! Although I've made a few prints directly on LokBuild, the likelihood of it staying there is dubious at best. Not so with the NovaMaker PETG. It likes LokBuild just fine. I've been using a blue tape known for a stupidly tenacious hold. And to that I add some watered down Cube Glue. The only squirming the print can do now is to peel up the adhesive on the back side of the tape as the material curls. For round objects, this is not a huge issue. But do treat this particular material similar to ABS.
    Last edited by TommyDee; 01-24-2019 at 07:46 PM.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi TD,

Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    First of all I print using the Ekocycle profile in CubePrint 4.03. I export the file and decode it.
    I remove the image from the bottom (find the last M107 and delete to EOF - select end of M107 and ctrl-shift-end del)
    Replace the 4 header requirements; firmware, platform, and material(s)
    Remove the motion from the wiper box (second G1 call moving to X-95.500...)
    Change the velocity of the first G1 call onto the plate from 8500 to 5000 (G1 X-nnn Y-nnn Znnn F8500.0)
    Change all the temperature calls to 250 max (M104 S265 > M104 S250 & M204 S265 > M204 S250)
    Encode and use a USB drive to print.
    These velocity, movement and temperatures you change are for EKO -> PETG, correct? Do you make any similar changes for PLA and ABS

Temperature
    EKO PETG PLA ABS
    265 250 ? ?

Velocity -- does this apply to X, Y and Z? Or to F?
    EKO PETG PLA ABS
    8500 5000 ? ?

For the motion call do you remove it for all PLA, PETG, ABS? And is it G1 and G2 or only G1?

I know so many noob questions.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I should clarify some of these actions, yes. I was afraid of running the Cube3 at 265 at first. This has not proven to be an issue. I was also waffling between 245 and 250*C and found the default Ekocycle to work just fine for PETG and 3rd party ABS.
    I also leave the PLA profile alone... and for 3DS ABS, I leave its profile alone.

The velocity change is only for the initial trek to the start point. A bit more of a chance to get a good start tack on the build plate.

I also remove the call just outside the wiper because it adds to drool-time.

Header changes should be pretty self-explanatory as it has to do with what printer is accepting the file.

I am glad to see others working down to this level of print management. So far, the only real things that make a difference, for explained reasons, is retraction and temperature. Retraction in the Cube series profiles is based on a stretching bowden tube. That thin stock tubing can stretch up to 10mm (3/8") with ease. This is what provides the drool-preload. With the stiffer 4mm bowden tubes, there is no stretch so the compensation in the profiles do benefit from tweaking this value. There are the M227 and M228 calls. I only mess with the first 2 parameters in the M227 call. I can cut them nearly in half and only marginally increase stringing. The Ekocycle settings are much more in line with the new tubes than the Cube3 profiles. I can run Ekocycle prints on PETG or 3rd party ABS with changing only the header info, again, running on a Cube3 platform.

Now here is where I hadn't gone yet... I can see how a unbalanced M227 call could help. One value is the retract, and the second is a resume of sorts. They are always alike. But if you want to remove that head-pressure, offsetting one from the other may reduce the blob syndrome even more without inducing stringing.

One of the difficult things in the aftermath of slicing is to surgically changes speed & feed values to something useful. I've mapped these things out on graphs only to find it daunting to tweak. The only reference help you have is the "Vector" calls which state which type of extrusion is happening in that section. This is why I want to get in front of the slicer and change the configs for this type of recipe enhancement.

Also remember that the Cube3/Ekocycle is a special printer in that it shares a heater-block for 2 extruders. There is actually a bias temperature assigned to the second extruder. I hadn't tried to change a dual-color print yet, but it should be possible to carefully modify the temperatures with some level of sanity. However, if you try this with 3rd party slicers, you might be in for some effort in managing extruder swaps per layer.

I've dug a long way into the working of the Cube3/Ekocycle slicer code as well as the CubePro code and I find a lot of possibilities there. Let me know what you would like more information on and I can share what I have. Obviously, implementing a 3rd party slicer is on top of the list but even the stock slicer has more options than one would first think. Making the changes is where we are stuck right now. For Cube3/Ekocycle, we are probably ahead of the CubePro with the file conversions as we can manage the latest version. But do drop some of those config(dot)XML files onto the decoder... you might like what you see in there. Basically, they consist of many profiles dialed in for the app selections made for slicing. There you can change many aspects of the slicer for every different kind of extrusion profile. Recompiling the retraction settings alone would safe tons of time in editing files and can print from the CubePrint app. Basically, you can manage recipes by changing config files out. I've done one apparently successful recompile of a config file. You have to reconstruct the header before encoding it. My test was to simply decode and recode the same file after fixing the header-line to see if they were still identical, and they were.
    Last edited by TommyDee; 05-29-2019 at 06:29 PM.