Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    My question was more "How do we know that the fan which stays on all the time isn't the one that's supposed to?"

My fans, according to this thread, are "wrong" but I haven't seen anyone prove that X fan actually SHOULD be on when Y is happening vs off when Z is happening. Is there a doc or page somewhere which shows how the two fans are supposed to work?

I don't want to change mine if a) most of the printers came this way and b) my prints don't seem to be suffering.

So far I've seen a lot of people say that my knees are supposed to bend the other way, but nobody's yet been able to prove it.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's the way it works on most (if not all) of the other printers. Software controlled fan must blow under the nozzle on the extruded plastic, so that you can print the first layers with fan off for better adhesion, then it turns on after the number of layers you've configured in the slicer.

The other fan that blows on the extruder rather than the nozzle is always on fan and is not software controlled. I have another printer that also has 2 fans and works this way out of the box, hence I knew that how Rapide Lite manages fans was not right. Others on this forum have reported that their fans work opposite than mine out of the box, so their fans are correct.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    And I was hesitant as well to just switch mine until reading up on other printers and mainly extruders in general as this is how most if not all of them work. But then I also found a random picture on here where a member had a broken wire to his extruder's motor and had to open up his db9 connector and that is when I noticed his was wired correctly the way mine should of been and confirmed my own suspicions that it must of been assembled wrong from the factory that is when I decided to bust out my soldering iron and take a bunch of pictures for other folks on here
    Last edited by grobbins; 01-04-2015 at 05:49 AM.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do we know where exactly the bad connection is:
    A. The PCB's connection to the wire.
    B. The wire's connection to the extruder (the connector which looks like a PC serial port).
    C. In the extruder itself.

I also need to fix this and I'd like to know that if I'll buy later on a new extruder, I won't have to do the same thing again.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes as far as I can tell the fault is actually in the wiring order on the pins inside the serial port connector. Because on the board end where the fans plug in each fan has its own different style connector so they cannot just be unplugged and swaped over.

But also there is another member on here that had a broken wire to his extruder motor and I noticed in his pictures of the serial connector that the 4 wires in question for both fans were wired in correct order mine were in the complete opposite order to his and thats when I realized that is was the connector wiring that must be wrong as i clearly had my 4 fan connections backwards compared to the photo of his connector.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ethan said it was a production line issue where the fans were place incorrectly and that I don't need to change the cables or anything like that, only switch the fans. Seems easiest to do anyway, so..

Post Thanks / Like
    Switch the fans as long as they have enough wiring... I recall one being shorter than the other i think.

Kindly confirm if anyone goes ahead with that.

I now wonder how did I achieve to print some stuff with the fans placed incorrectly lol

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    There should be no big issue printing with reversed fans. Depending on your slicer settings, the second fan will still turn on after some layers and will help to cool the extruder itself. You may get less adhesion because the other fan will always blow on the filament, even when printing the first layer, but if the bed is calibrated well, it should not be a problem for the first layer to stick.

Post Thanks / Like
    That explains why my third print failed due to unsticking parts lol

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some pictures I took while switching the fans. The cables were long enough.

S6310003.jpg

S6310005.jpg

S6310006.jpg
    Last edited by aleb; 01-09-2015 at 06:57 PM.

11. Likes titrisol liked this post