Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    @Shiki
    The example code posted by BobenhamHotspur cannot be used on a unmodified RL200 to retrieve a file, even a PDF, with the firmware code??? (
    * Reads the value of each byte of the EEPROM and prints it to the computer)

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by safonz View Post
    @Shiki
    The example code posted by BobenhamHotspur cannot be used on a unmodified RL200 to retrieve a file, even a PDF, with the firmware code??? (
    * Reads the value of each byte of the EEPROM and prints it to the computer)
    Unfortunately flash memory is not accessivle by using that code. As it reads a eeprom not the flash memory (which has the rapide lite firmware).

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiki View Post
    Unfortunately flash memory is not accessivle by using that code. As it reads a eeprom not the flash memory (which has the rapide lite firmware).
    Please excuse me if i misunderstand how eeproms work but how then does the firmware get onto the device and how do you save any changes that are made?

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are different types of memory in the AVR devices. Firmware is stored in the program memory, EEPROM is a separate memory area in the chip used for storing the settings. While you can read EEPROM programmatically, to access the program memory, you have to use the ISP programmer device plugged into the 6-pin ISP port on the PCB. If the fuses set during programming permit, you can dump the firmware contents with the programmer connected to the ISP port.

Once you have the firmware dump, you should be able to flash it again into other chips. If there is a bootloader, it can be done easily via USB. If the bootloader is not present or was erased, the only way to upload the firmware in the device is using the same programmer device via the ISP port.

Here is the location of this port on the PCB:

USB ASP programmer price starts from $1. If you have any Arduino device, it can be used as the programmer too.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've tried to dump the firmware using the USB ASP programmer, it appears that firmware is protected from reading, the resulted file has only some parts of the bootloader code, but no actual firmware. EEPROM seems to be empty.

Here is the dumps archive, but it's of little use.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not understanding anything .... (too complicated for me), the USB ASP programmer It's only used to dump memory or it's necessary to write the firmware to the board??
    2) It's it possible I only flashed the EEPROM?? (I dont' have any USB ASP programmer only used Arduino IDE program with the printer connected on computer USB )
    3) If n.2 answer is YES, It's possible to erase only the EEPROM??

Thanks for your patience and courtesy

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    The board has a bootloader, so if you have a firmware, you can flash it via USB without the programmer. The problem is that we don't have the firmware with the settings specific to this printer and it seems to be protected in the chip, so there is no way we can dump it with USB ASP programmer (at least it didn't work for me).

It looks like you have flashed the new firmware via Arduino IDE, so you have erased the original firmware, not (only) EEPROM.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the clarification, so the only way is to wait the reply from the support team of Rapide 3D hoping they will send me a new firmware.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    A related question.
    In repetier for win 1.0.6 there is a menu alternative to view the firmware settings as far as i understand. However all values here are 0.
    Is there anyone who has any values in this in theese fields ?
    Since there are no basis to start with, what values should there be, i have seen different values used for the same purpose in different places, obviusly becasue they are scaled in som way before writing or before use.
    The value i was searching for is the extrusion step/mm value as used in Tom's video for calibrating, i get out 83 mm instead of 100 when testing in repetier manual mode and want to adjust it.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sm0orb View Post
    A related question.
    In repetier for win 1.0.6 there is a menu alternative to view the firmware settings as far as i understand. However all values here are 0.
    Is there anyone who has any values in this in theese fields ?
    Since there are no basis to start with, what values should there be, i have seen different values used for the same purpose in different places, obviusly becasue they are scaled in som way before writing or before use.
    The value i was searching for is the extrusion step/mm value as used in Tom's video for calibrating, i get out 83 mm instead of 100 when testing in repetier manual mode and want to adjust it.
    Same to me, so I installed Arduino Ide trying to read some value from firmware and made a mess....