Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

X end stop sensors not working?

Is anyone else having trouble with the X sensors? (left/right). I moved them out properly so that the side of the extruder assembly hits and triggers the sensors before hitting the side or any wires. But even though the sensors trip, it won't stop the motors. For example when I try to Home X in Repetier Host, it goes all the way left then tries to keep going past the sensor and I have to emergency stop it. Also it can be manually moved all the way to the right and it will still try to go past that sensor. I'm afraid to try to print anything without getting these working right. Am I missing something??

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    The sensors should cut the power, did you tell Repetier the size of your bed yet?

NB.
    The physical size of the platform is 215x215mm
    If you allow for missing the 'small' bed adjuster screws, that leaves you with 203x203mm
    Because the head is offset to the left by approx 11mm, for the X parameter you should use 190mm as the maximum print size.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    yep, I have the bed size as 190x190, as well as x max at 190.

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I first homed my x axis (before I had adjusted the stop) it did bump for a short while and then stopped automatically. Does yours keep bumping and not stopping? What does the X value read in the coordinates box and is the number in red or black?

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Think you may have to open the base. When the sensor clicks it creates a short to signal the motor to stop. If the wire is not connected or the connectors are swapped there won't be any stop signal. Swapped sensors could be checked by manually activate the opposite stop and see if that stops the motor. Unconnected... well then you need to open it.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. Well, maybe it's ok. I did let it go longer, and after a few seconds it stopped bumping, then it homed I guess (then showed 0 in X, and black instead of red). It bumps that long every time I home it though, seems like a long time and not good for the motor I wouldn't think. Did you ever get yours to stop sooner, Bobenham?

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bumping is not good for it to home itself. The end stop switches should work as i can try to tell mine to goto to 200mm on x-axis but it stops right at 190 because that is the bed size repetier thinks I have. And whenever I home any axis on my machine I hear the end stop switches click and the motor stops turning instantly. No knocks or hitting sounds at all.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe that the sensors are only sensors and not direct power signals/cutters to the motors.
    I noticed that when I was aligning mine and my software could definitely override the sensors, still moving the motors after the sensor switch closed.
    But, when I start a print the software (or the firmware of the printer), moves the head to 0,0,0 calculating it when the switches are activated.
    So the sensor switches are ok, connected, but only used when they are needed. It is possible to 'force' the motors to go more than the switches.

The controller board has also available end switches for Z and Y but they are not present, only the end X.
    I have no idea what the end X is there for because it is never monitored (maybe when the printer is printing with SD card and protects it self from positions > max X ?).

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    @jcamen - after I set the stops I no longer get the bumping. Just checking, you did move the X stops in far enough for the head to miss the frame ? that's the only reason I can think why it would still be bumping at the ends.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think too they're just sensors that are used by Repetier to set homes when initially connecting the printer to it... There are instances you need to press emergency if for example have been moving the X manually then set repetier to go 100 and it goes (or tries to) go more than that.