Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    My fans were fine (until I broke the wires off adjusting the extruder) so it's not everybody, but it's an easy thing to check, not quite so easy to fix.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got my fans correctly connected from factory.
    - Vertical fan is controlled by the software;
    - Horizontal fan is always on.

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Found this info in the comments section of a you tube video, it may be relevant to your problem or it may not, but hey it's worth a try.

"Thomas Sanladerer - 8 months ago
    If X or Y skip steps, the part's layers will suddenly see a shift. If the extruder skips, you'll see random spots of over- or under extrusion on the parts......"

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    This doesn't look like random spots, there is pattern. I've swapped the coolers and doing more test prints. Also tried to align the frame better.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still the same issue after re-assembling the frame and fixing the fans:

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I've narrowed down the issue to the extruder stepper motor (at least I think so). If I extrude some plastic with the motor, the extruded plastic has a pattern on it, tiny little blobs every several mm.

However, if I stop the motor and extrude the plastic manually by pushing it with the hand, there are no blobs and the outgoing plastic is silky smooth.

I looks like the actual motor steps are so discrete that they produce the blobs at the moment when the motor tics between the steps.

Not sure what to do now.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    CrazyCoder

Hi I am wondering if the tension on your extruder stepper is too much then the ribbing on the wheel will chew into the filament which would then feed down into extrusion ??? try loosening the tension but only very small then extrude then more extrude etc see it this gives results. also when you extrude via hand are you pushing the tension lever when you do it ?? or just forcing it through?

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh another thing to try is slicing with different software and see if you still get the pattern ....
    different slicers can change this.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    That would almost think the tension is to tight on the filament as well. Just from a process of elimination point of view, it extrudes fine manually but gets patterns if using the extruder motor.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've tried different tension, from the minimum possible to the medium, it doesn't make any difference. What seems to help is adjusting the extruder stepper motor current using this knob:

I found the position where it flips from the minimum to the maximum current (at the min level the motor almost doesn't extrude) and rotated it back to the max position.

Result on the right is printed with the max setting. It's still not perfect, but much better than the first results.

Last edited by CrazyCoder; 01-04-2015 at 01:44 AM.