Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Control Knob has frozen up!

(RESOLVED 2/18/19 - details@ http://www.print3dforum.com/showthre...-ya-gonna-call)

After working really well for a month, the knob on my CR-10s control box has frozen up.
    I pressed it to stop a print and it did not pop back out. I tried pulling back up on it but it was then difficult to even turn. The knob cover began to strip it's splines so I pulled it off the shaft and tried to turn the switch by hand.
    It became impossible to turn with my fingers but by using a screw driver in the split in the shaft, I could make it turn a little bit.

As of now, it physically will not press in and is only possible to turn with a screw driver.

I search of the Internet has turned up no other mentions of this malfunction so the "good news"(?) would seem to be that this is not a common failure. Of course that would tend to indicate that I am just the winner of the "bad part" lottery.

Has anyone else here encountered this problem?
    Any suggestions for how to address this?
    20 years ago I would have run out to one of 3, local electronics parts stores and picked up some "electrical contact cleaner" and given that a try. Maybe even bought another rotary switch for $3 and tried swapping it out.
    Last edited by Print Guy; 02-18-2019 at 10:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps putting it on an IPA ultrasonic cleaner...but sounds much like a mechanical failure... Just replace?

3. Thanks Print Guy thanked for this post
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bolsoncerrado View Post
    Perhaps putting it on an IPA ultrasonic cleaner...but sounds much like a mechanical failure... Just replace?
    That's kind of what I am thinking. It must surely be a warrantied item ... but I haven't heard anything from Creality and I think I saw a note that said they would be closed for a week or so for the Chinese New Year. Even then it would probably be weeks and WEEKS before I got a new part.
    That switch looks easy to remove/replace. Once I got it off of the circuit board might be a part number printed on it's underside.
    If that doesn't work ... the whole board is available in just a few days time for $20 - $30 on Ebay or Amazon.
    I hate not to have them honor their warranty but I hate even more not being able to print for a month! I was just starting to crank out some reliably good parts.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    The knob is likely an encoder with a mechanically attached momentary contact switch.
    The stuff tied to the mouse wheel is very similar. A light source counting interruptions in a hole ridden wheel.
    The push button mode probably locks the axis and by not rebounding, it is stuck in the engaged position.

I thought I'd put that out there so you can gauge how desperate you are to fix the unit in hand.
    The switch function can easily be remoted unless I'm overlooking something.

Happy to help analyse photos if you wish to post them up.
    It wouldn't be the first time I've dug into these devices to keep life happy.
    Last edited by TommyDee; 02-02-2019 at 02:13 AM.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    So it was fairly easy to remove the switch from the board.
    There was no part number on it but I found an identical looking/functioning switch on Amazon. It's spec sheet has the same physical dimensions. A little more than $1 (US) ... but I had to buy 10 of them. Perhaps if I had searched longer I might have found just one but I have a long list of things that are ready to print and a longer list of projects needing those items, being held up by this malfunction. I ordered these parts a day ago and should be back up and running two days from now.
    If the new switch works, I'm going to dig into the old one to see what went awry.
    For anyone from the future who may be searching for this same item ... here is a link to the part -
    http://tinyurl.com/y95747v2

In answer to TommyDee, as soon as I am back up and running, I'm going to tare into the malfunctioned switch and see what went wrong. I'm just curious as to what could possible be causing it to seize like this. Guesses ...
    (1) maybe some how a very fine piece of filament got down inside it and wrapped around the axle ?
    (2) Some piece of the unit has broken off and jammed itself into a critical area.
    (3) Ninja's broke into my house and put a drop of slow setting glue into the switch.
    (4) It has become filled with evil. In which case opening it up with trigger the Apocalypse. Oops.

I'll post an update after I get the new switch installed.
    Unless #4.
    In that case... sorry.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    (5) All of the above.

Well, I suspect that no one will have to order a new switch as they would be talking with you now that they know you have 9 spares!

Yes, these are encoders and yes, if these look identical, they most likely are.

The unit will come apart fairly easily with the tabs on the bottom. There may be a small spring force and a few tiny bits ready to fly out.
    I went into the tiny switch in the brake handles of electric scooters once. That is about as small as things ever got for me in hobby fixing.
    The biggest issue is normally -one-way-plastic-snaps-. I don't think you'll see any of that.

Good Luck! ...and excellent find!

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    UPDATE - Well, my new switch(es) arrived.
    Now I have the existential decision to make.
    Do I install the switch and probably be up and printing again 30 minutes from now ... or do I wait and see what Creality's response to this defect is?

If they want to swap parts with me it could mean some time before I can print. Even if they just want to send me a new part, that would be a wait.
    If they want me to return the board it will be obvious that I have "tampered" with it. This could significantly complicate things.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Change it! No one will ever evaluate your board. If the box gets sent back, no one will ever take it apart... just include the bad encoder taped -inside- the case. And what's more, they'd be on the hook for the return shipping.

Printing is more important

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Update: So I replaced he switch and all went well. Took more time to get the mounting screws back in than it did to install the part. Actually, the most stressful thing is that I was an idiot and didn't take a picture of where the cables went BEFORE I disconnected them. Stupid.
    So, turned it on - no smoke - all functions as before. Printed all night.
    Extra glad I just fixed it myself because ...
    Got a reply from Creality and the run around begins.
    That is for another thread though.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent! Happy Printing ...again!