Yes, please contact Tomuro via email. tomuro@haxtom.com
There is obviously a premium to cover.

- - - - - - - - - -

To continue... SUCCESS! But not without trouble.

I had the shield test program loaded on the NANO so it was blinking at me as expected.
I change the batch file to talk to COM7, save and right-click "RUN".
Command window disappears and the lights are still blinking!
No error messages to read as the window closed down when the routine was done. Grrrrrr!!!!

Okay, I know enough DOS to navigate the shell. Find the batch file with "CD"'s and ran it from the command prompt.
This time the window stayed open to show the error. The file name in the batch file for the hex file is wrong!
Corrected it, reran the batch file and finally, data streaming to and fro.
I know I could have simply put a pause in the batch file, but hey, I like doing things the hard way.

Are you starting to get a sense for why this stuff can be so frustrating for non-coders!?!?!
I know a fair bit more than most ME's about computers and that seems to be my only saving grace.

Anyway, final comment has to be that yes, the Arduino IDE app we loaded earlier also serves as a terminal emulator using the serial monitor under tools.

I queried my 98% chip with commands 3; 4; 5; and 7; Error n,4,n shows up if contact is not made with the chip.
Also sent "8,75;" and it did indeed rewrite the chip to 75% as verified by the command "7;" and the Cube3 printer.

So after all that mulling around and asking (apparently only myself) all those pertinent questions, I found good reason to ask all of those questions.

But, this is all good news as this does solve everything this layman needed to know with regard to utilizing a com-processor.
Something I've been pondered a mere 35 years now when I was learning Basic on my Vic-20. Way to jump back to yesteryear!

- - - - - - - - - -

Couple of things that need covering... the batch string I used:

Avrdude\avrdude -C Avrdude\avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM7 -b57600 -D "-Uflash:w:ReCube.ino.hex:i"

Consider adding 2 lines;
pause
exit

This will keep the screen open to see the results until you hit any key.

This is a proper response;

C:\<recubefolderlocation>\ReCubeV2Light>program.ba t

C:\<recubefolderlocation>\ReCubeV2Light>Avrdude\av rdude -C Avrdude\avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM7 -b57600 -D "-Uflash:w:ReCube.ino.hex:i"

avrdude: Version 6.3, compiled on Dec 16 2016 at 13:33:19
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "Avrdude\avrdude.conf"

Using Port : COM7
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 57600
AVR Part : ATmega328P
Chip Erase delay : 9000 us
PAGEL : PD7
BS2 : PC2
RESET disposition : dedicated
RETRY pulse : SCK
serial program mode : yes
parallel program mode : yes
Timeout : 200
StabDelay : 100
CmdexeDelay : 25
SyncLoops : 32
ByteDelay : 0
PollIndex : 3
PollValue : 0x53
Memory Detail :

Block Poll Page Polled
Memory Type Mode Delay Size Indx Paged Size Size #Pages MinW MaxW ReadBack
----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
eeprom 65 20 4 0 no 1024 4 0 3600 3600 0xff 0xff
flash 65 6 128 0 yes 32768 128 256 4500 4500 0xff 0xff
lfuse 0 0 0 0 no 1 0 0 4500 4500 0x00 0x00
hfuse 0 0 0 0 no 1 0 0 4500 4500 0x00 0x00
efuse 0 0 0 0 no 1 0 0 4500 4500 0x00 0x00
lock 0 0 0 0 no 1 0 0 4500 4500 0x00 0x00
calibration 0 0 0 0 no 1 0 0 0 0 0x00 0x00
signature 0 0 0 0 no 3 0 0 0 0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : Arduino
Description : Arduino
Hardware Version: 2
Firmware Version: 1.16
Vtarget : 0.0 V
Varef : 0.0 V
Oscillator : Off
SCK period : 0.1 us

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.02s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e950f (probably m328p)
avrdude: safemode: hfuse reads as 0
avrdude: safemode: efuse reads as 0
avrdude: reading input file "ReCube.ino.hex"
avrdude: writing flash (17048 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 8.03s

avrdude: 17048 bytes of flash written
avrdude: verifying flash memory against ReCube.ino.hex:
avrdude: load data flash data from input file ReCube.ino.hex:
avrdude: input file ReCube.ino.hex contains 17048 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 6.83s

avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: 17048 bytes of flash verified

avrdude: safemode: hfuse reads as 0
avrdude: safemode: efuse reads as 0
avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK (E:00, H:00, L:00)

avrdude done. Thank you.

- - - - - - - - - -

I also learned another thing about the NANO and it may be worth pursuing with Tomura.

In looking through the arduino samples, the entire functionality could be done without this shield board (more commonly known in normal speak as "motherboard").
The indicators could be replaced with LED_BUILTIN. For a success burn, it could flash twice... for fail, it could flash once. It also appears we can reassign the button of the NANO. So why are we adding one?

Bottom line, a simple code hack by Tomuro would make this complete by adding a resistor in the range of 1.6-2.2K between the 5V power pin (pin 4) and pin 12 (logic pin A0). Pin 12 is one lead for the small pad on the chip and the large pad is connected to either ground pad (pin 4 and pin 2).

This effort is more than sufficient for my purposes. I'll need test that one-push solution for 100% cartridges but for now, this is excellent! Thanks you Tomuro!

- - - - - - - - - -

This is interesting... CubePro Gold is not listed as a "Metal" filament as it would associate with a different slicer profile. It lists as just plain ABS, color gold.
Cube 2 chips read 0% for some reason. They obviously need to be updated to one of the 3 supported platforms.

- - - - - - - - - -

recube_brd2.PNG

Board 2... I decided that rebuilding the 1st prototype was a good idea.
This is the same wire I use to unclog nozzles. Need to find some more!

Got another NANO on the way.

And if you can't tell, this is a pretty simple way to make these motherboards for the ReCube and NANO.
Stuff the components and solder them in, then tack the wire to the beginning and start bonding.
If you start with a plain Vector board, just trim to size and oversize the mounting holes to your liking.

- - - - - - - - - -

I wanted to update some thoughts on the pro version of Tomuro's code.
The suggestion of swapping pins or functionality is valid.
If you decide you want a pro-version, you can keep this in mind.
Tomuro is open to changes as each copy is personalized.
If you understand, or become highly familiar with Arduino, you will know if your request is reasonable based on not overtaxing core code changes.
One such request to consider is to have the one button refill go to 99% for those with "Upgraded F/W" that need to initialize cartridges. That way, you just need a USB power cell to reset or initialize cartridges. And you can always use that pro version to get to the more advanced features via the serial terminal.

I was suggesting using onboard functionality to replace the peripheral connections; the switch and lights. Which are in fact non-essential. You just need a resistor between pins 4 and 12 on the right bank (USB up; facing down). Ground and this same pin 12 are the two leads to the chip. The interface is the Arduino app. Done... both free and pro version. Therefore, the more extensive mods are pretty much moot. If you are in control via the serial communications, nothing really needs feedback. You can query the connection on-screen.

Tomuro may be able to re-assign the button to the built-in button on the NANO. That would further enhance the above minimalist setup. No extra parts, but you would be able to reset carts with just a power source to the NANO (and that afore mentioned resistor). Doesn't even need to be USB source.

But, if you want some elegance; for a limited time I will consider hand-building this motherboard for you, or "Shield" (corny!) if that is all that's holding you back.
Make it worth my while... if I can build a batch on commitments, I can do a run as small as 5.
You can do the NANO and the printing/contact wiring - I'll send wire - NANOs on eBay are going for under $3. Resistors are 10 cents...

Bottom line - there are options!
And thanks again Tomuro!