Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Need help identifying problem

Hi,
    I have a CR-10 Ender 3 and recently I have run into an issue but I cannot find the cause of the problem. Basically, my printer is suffering from intermittent extrusion. It will print a few unusually extremely thin layers but will stop putting layers on the bed eventually.

Attachment 3008

I abort the print and turn off the machine to try to filament out but it will not budge no matter how hard I pull.

Attachment 3007

After dismantling the fan and the hot end I notice there is a buildup of filament at the tip of the nozzle.

20190127_105824.jpg 20190127_105810.jpg

I pull out the tube and find a very warped wire of filament sticking out.
    20190127_111009.jpg
    I cut out the warped end, put everything back together and try again but the same issue occurs: the filament cannot be pulled out unless I dismantle the hot end and find a piece of warped or expanded filament.

In addition to the things I mentioned above, I noticed that during the printing process there is now a very pungent smell coming from the 3D printer. I have been advised to use different material or replace the nozzle or the heat block. I have tried different spools of PLA and using the spare nozzle but the problem persists. I am considering replacing the heat block/hot end altogether.

Does anyone have a solution to this? People keep giving me different suggestions and I am quite lost by now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you slid thru the nozzle a 0.35 needle? That would tell you if there's an actual clog or not. Also I think CR supplies spares just to swap them out and retry?

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I set the temperature to 215 to melt the PLA that is covering the tip of the nozzle. So that should get rid of the clogging, no? I am just wondering how to prevent this from happening again.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it's an internal clog due to low quality filament, melting wont happen if what it's clogging is a carbon or any other residual other than PLAstic....