Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

What was 3DS thinking? PLA and ABS!

Seriously, what was 3DSystems up to when they though of the idea that supports could be made out of PLA?

Turns out this is still promoted for the CubePro. A strong detergent will break down PLA over time.
    3DS actually recommended caostic soda for PLA support removal.
    So, the CubePro supports using PLA as supports for ABS prints, unlike the Cube3 recommendations.

Be sure to watch the warnings and disclaimers when attempting something like this.

Post Thanks / Like
    ROTFL!

Well, they "PROized" the idea of ABS printing without heated bed but with heater in an enclosure, so... time will tell! Oh no, wait! they shut down operations on these! lol

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I measured the ultimate chamber temperature after hours of printing. The printer is in a 20-22*C environment right now.
    I put the thermal probe in one of the upper corner posts. It went up to 55*C. That is a pretty good heat soaking.
    Even the bed got to this temperature. I felt the heat poring off of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    55C is PLA temp no matter what. ABS work on the 100C range for beds...

Oh well, my benchy started to curl on the back side too damn fans lol

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're just having sticking problems. The shock from the cold plate is killing the adhesion. Try a heat gun on the build plate before printing and make sure the heat soaks in.

03062019_benchy_stuck.PNG
    Attachment 3134

When I put CubeGlue <= yes, the original... on LokBuild, I get a hold based on the age of the filament. It is still very much geometry dependent.
    When making stash puzzles, I used a brim that I modeled rather than using the one that Cube3 generates. Turns out we can do that with CubePro by turning off the sidewalk perforations in the advanced settings. The Benchy above use a maximum brim offset of 0.4mm. I have found that using this method, not even touching the part, helps keep a larger flat area attached. Again, it is just localizing some heat just outside the edges of the print.

I have enough parts to test in comparison to what the Cube3 does. This benchy looks nothing like what comes off of Cube3. Some artifacts but overall, stout and better accuracy. Artifacts are definitely more notable. That is where the system is tripping over itself. But the overall tolerance within the 1/2mm required for 3D print contracts is much closer on this machine than on the Cube3.

- - - - - - - - - -

You do realize that I jumped on the CubePro for the very fact that I've lived Cubify for about 2 years now.
    Knowing what I know still has me working with the 3DS slicer. It has all the hallmarks of the higher end 3DS systems.
    Last edited by TommyDee; 03-06-2019 at 10:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    Invalid Attachment specified.
    What were you showing? hehe

Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    You do realize that I jumped on the CubePro for the very fact that I've lived Cubify for about 2 years now.
    Knowing what I know still has me working with the 3DS slicer. It has all the hallmarks of the higher end 3DS systems.
    You mean their 6figure machines? I can see their solid hardware enclosed in these CubePros indeed, but the software can't coup with it. lol How many people they fired before realizing?

Yet another question:

What's better?

To build a several layers high shield surrounding the piece but NOT touching its base (kind of "wind" barrier to avoid curling) or just a 1 layer raft you'll have to peel and sand afterwards, but horizontally wide?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Normal 2 layer sidewalk with an offset no less than 0.25mm and no stitches is a good place to start.

But speaking of rafts... yes, they removed the traditional raft option in the latest Windows version. Again, older version will generate a true raft.
    These just have issues cleaning up the bottom, but the raft can be made of a different material... say PLA.
    The raft still needs to be stuck well to whatever the build plate uses.
    Does your choice of PLA work well with Buildtac without hairspray?

Post Thanks / Like
    TBH I use hairspray with PLA daily on PEI sheets on the Prusas and so do I on buildtak so I live all day long with Hairspray smell everywhere lol

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...and that! Waiting for this printer to outgas a bit.