Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Cubepro single convert to duo or trio

I have a Cubepro single which I would like to update to a duo or trio. As all the feed tubes are already in place it looks like all that is needed is the cartridge holder (Though this does not seem to be able to be purchased) and an extruder with nozzle. Has anyone done this?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Steve. Welcome to the forum.

That is not a level of CubePro history I am privy to.

Are the additional chip readers installed?

- - - - - - - - - -

CubeX may not be hard to adapt... https://www.3dsystems.com/shop/supplies/cubex

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your prompt reply Tommy.
    From what I can make out there is just a lead from the main board to the cartridge holder, the cartridge holder then has two contacts that supply power to and write and read data to the EPROM in the cartridge.
    So this does raise the question of how the Cubepro will know how many print stations are installed, perhaps when the extruder and nozzle are plugged in?
    Hopefully someone knows the answer to these questions before I start buying the components, though a spare extruder and nozzle might be handy one day.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are correct. So the mating connector is in place for the second and probably the 3rd bay.

Nozzles are managed in the application. It senses which cartridges are installed and can assume that nozzles are installed for those cartridges.
    You also tell the CubePro app how many nozzles are installed but this is very dynamic as you can change that on a whim.

So the tray for CubeX has the little contact board included if you look carefully.
    I also noted that the contact board can be purchased separately in the CubePro supplies.

Now here's the fun part... deciding on what to upgrade too.

There are standard extruders which are 0.35mm. But there is a special extruder that is 0.50mm for flex and wood.
    What they did special for the Trio is to hinge the second tray. Very poorly fitted hinges allow the second cartridge to move out of the way of the 3rd when changing them.
    That may be your only consideration for the trio configuration.

I take it the print head already has all the wiring for 3 extruders too? You might need a breakout board along with the extruder.

You might also want to give our own "Walrus" a PM. He apparently has a few extra CubePro components (legitimately!).

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    The head PWB has the connectors for 2 additional extruders and nozzles, the motherboard also has the additional connectors for cartridge bays 2 and 3 EPROM readers.
    Looking at the Cubepro parts listing* there is only 1 motherboard available (403214-00) I suspect station detection will be based on either putting a cartridge in the additional bay and when the additional cartridge EPROM is read it will set the additional station or it could work by installing the additional extruder and nozzle. I am 95% sure that just adding the additional components will be all that is required.
    I have sent a PM to Walrus to see if he has any parts to sell.

*Cubepro parts list -
    http://infocenter.3dsystems.com/product-library/system/files/service/pjp/cubepro/service/Spare_Parts_Locator_403186-00_B.pdf

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice find on the pats list!

Are you going for Duo or Trio?

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Update

Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    Nice find on the pats list!

Are you going for Duo or Trio?
    Hi Tommy, I finally got some parts and tried the conversion, even with the all the parts it will only let you load number 1 with filament, interesting when filament is in other stations the Cubepro app will show it as installed. I see that originally 3D Systems issued an activation code based on the machines serial number, so I am guessing this writes the configuration to the memory on the main PWB, from then on in that main PWB is then configured for single duo or trio. I will keep a look out for second hand duo or trio main PWB and give it a try when I get one.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wasn't CubePro Mono suppose to be upgradable? If that's true then no, no hard coding in hardware. But there is an extensive kit from what I understand. My Duo is prewired and preplumbed for Trio but some extensive components are missing. The nozzle assembly s/b plug-n-play.

What slot did you try to upgrade? There could be a logical order that requires the middle slot to be second of 2. Think of it as 'if no second>mono'. I've seen other BS logic on the pro development side. I see some logic in this one as the 3rd extruder addresses less volume.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    The main PWB is the same and all the components are there so i am guessing that it would be upgradeable but not without the right activation code or a firmware hack (Beyond my capabilities). I tried it in position 2 & 3 with no luck, no matter what, the change cartridge screen only showed 1 cartridge. I did have a thought that it may be possible to load extruder 2 or 3 manually using nozzle maintenance but before i did this i sent a dual filiment job as a test but it came up with a error so i went no further.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting. The code thing is common to all but there are ways to force info into the system so I don't doubt that there is a software intervention required. The activation is only a mechanism to begin your warranty from what I can tell. But it is true that your machine type is determined by the a couple of .bin files in the root of the internal SD. If an upgrade is to be initialized, it would be in those files.

This has now become a mystery. One that will require someone with a successful upgrade to tell us what piece we're missing.