Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Print Shift!

  1. #1
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    1,912
    Post Thanks / Like

    Print Shift!

    Finally... after all these years, I get to witness a print shift. I had one a long time ago and it was a mystery. But this one I can trace.

    03242019_print_shift.PNG

    This is suppose to be symmetrical, obviously, but it offset to the left as it reached the boundary of the print plate.
    But I didn't put it at the boundary! i moved it past the boundary so I could bring it back in.
    Somehow this messed up the position! And the slicer just went along merrily as these was no hint of a problem in the previewer.
    But as you can see from the picture... the first part of the print was too far to the right, and the offsets began when the boundary was reached.

    I am not sure yet what the answer is, but the problem is definitely in passing the data to the slicer.
    The sliced file looks fine!

    PS: The white single thickness trace on the right edge is my glue dam. It is also slightly out of bounds considering I made that print file by hand.

  2. #2
    Administrator bolsoncerrado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3,198
    Post Thanks / Like
    My print shift happened all at once and no where near the edges so.... hmmmm....

  3. #3
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    1,912
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is more than that. Mine wasn't hanging over the edge either... and the preview was fine.
    Something in the placement process hangs a number that passing to the slicer.
    ...Effectively shifting 0, 0 by one of the moves... 10mm in this case.
    The part was printed 10mm further to the right from where I placed it.
    That means that the trigger of the boundary is loosing one of the steps.

    I need to put a strip on the bed STL to see where the edges are rather than testing for them.

    Unfortunately I cannot take apart the v2.02 files to see where the problem came in.

  4. #4
    Administrator bolsoncerrado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3,198
    Post Thanks / Like
    But i'm on 2.00 hmmm

  5. #5
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    1,912
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is likely an old bug that even found its way into Cube3 in some form or another.
    One of those that couldn't be reproduced so no one bothered to chase it.

    - - - - - - - - - -

    Have you started printing PLA yet?

  6. #6
    Administrator bolsoncerrado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3,198
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didnt try to, actually... Hmmmm Im actually happy with the Prusas printing PLA, but more concerned on ABS lifting hehe (reluctant to the gluesome thing)

  7. #7
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    1,912
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, this red is old... 2013. And 3DS filament has some kind of additive that keeps things supple. This is what dries out over time. What I've learned is that this older filament sticks even better to the glue. So much so that it will tear the print apart rather than release. My scraper has been ground to work like a wedge. I have to carefully lift some edges and sneak under the part. If I try to just rip it off, it will leave a lot of red filament in the glue.

    I've had really good luck with the glue on Lokbuild. It doesn't leave that beautiful flat surface, but for ABS prints, it just works. Hard corners may still lift, but for the most part, this just works. Getting the glue to behave in a philic manner rather than a phobic manner on the surface is my current fight with the CubePro build plate. The watered down glue just gathers and leaves the surface clean except where it gather to. After a few re-applications, it is adhering much better.

    The reason this solution, Lokbuild and Cube Glue, is better that just Cube Glue is that Cube Glue doesn't stick well to the stock build plate. The glue comes up with the print and re-application is required. With Lokbuild, my experience with Cube3 is that once the glue properly adheres to the Lokbuild, it doesn't peel up with the part any longer. And it doesn't change the way PLA works either. So for ABS, this has been the best solution to date.

    I am not too interested in putting PLA in the CubePro either. My consideration is more about not having to maintenance the nozzles. The only downside to this is two-fold... one, Infinity rinse only works with PLA in CubePro... and the manual supports in the app only works with PLA. I might have to do a wholesale move to PLA in the CubePro at some point for real production work bigger than 6", but I have a huge stock of 3DS ABS for now.

    - - - - - - - - - -

    Oh, I am also planning to avoid the metallic colors... The ABS silver I have is nice stuff, but it has a "skin". In the Cube3, I did have it clog a nozzle that was easily recoverable... but that is the only nozzle failure I've had with the Universal Hub system. I don't want that happening with a fixed nozzle.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •