Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

USB Port will not open

After putting together my semi-assembled Rapide Lite 200 kit, I had movement along all 3 axis of motion. A "print" was successful except for no filament feeding. I contacted Ethan of Rapide and received instructions on adjusting the extruder feed mechanism.

However, now I can not get the port to open for USB printing.

I have the latest RUMBA Windows driver installed (Version 1.1.0.0 dated 5/22/2013). I have tried CURA and Repetier software without success in communicating with the printer. Before the extruder adjustment, I had success with Cura software (except for no filament feeding).

I have tried lots of port speeds (baud rates) including AUTO which tries some speeds on its own. The device appears on COM4 and the Windows driver reports that device is working properly.

The printer does show up immediately in the "Devices and Printer" panel under Windows when the 3D printer is powered on and disappears when it is turned off. So I know that communication/detection works at some level. Yet full communication (and table motion) no longer happens.

I have also opened the bottom panel on the printer and nothing appears to be loose.

Can anyone advise the other settings besides baud rate? Parity, Flow Control, etc.?

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I suggest you to try a different USB cable.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joao View Post
    I suggest you to try a different USB cable.
    Tried that (using a cable I know works) and also on other USB ports. And also on another Windows 7 PC.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I can only think of something you probably already tried, that is rebooting your pc and turning the printer on and off. I was able to connect to repetier that way. I am on com 3 and the baud set the same in the device manager as in repetier 115200. Since it connected once already. It seems likely it will connect again. Maybe check the device manager for hidden devices to make sure you don't have another driver interfering.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    For me it dosn't show up in devices and printers, it is a com port and they usually don't show up there. Could there be some other device thinking it got a new printer connected and then claims that port for itself, thereby effectively stopping other programs from connecting to the port directly.

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    It seems that sometimes the software/hardware is reluctant to release the port properly when it has been disconnected maybe by an error, so you end up with confusion between the two systems. Normally refreshing the ports in device manager or reboot the printer and restarting the software will resolve the problem.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    If your USB port not working then I have some fixes to resolve your USB Port.

1. Check the Power Supply
    2. Restart the Computer
    3. Check the USB Port
    4. Check the Device Manager

So above these are the best fixes to resolve your USB port so you can try these.