Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    2,070
    Post Thanks / Like

    Qualifying CubePro Print (gallery)

    Qualifying simply means "These were printed with CubePro".

    03252019_glory.PNG

    It took a while but I think I got the CubePro Duo setup the way I need it.
    First of all, we now have a chamber preheat file to equalize all the printer parts.
    Good thing to do in the morning before a day of printing.
    ...yes, a day... or at least a good part of a work day after the 45 minute warmup:

    03252019_rei_time.PNG

    ...but I've been trying to make a second good print of this model for some time.
    This model is from MyMiniFactory and represents a Japanese angel named Rei.

    The model itself required quite some work to even make it printable. It has some seams in it that are hard to fix. There is also index geometry internally at these seams. If anyone needs the full model seamless, let me know and I'll post it up as a remix on MMF.

    History; as I said, I have more or less successfully printed this model full height at 6" on the Cube3 at one time, once. The only material that would print this properly, without supports, was PETG Clear. Made a real mess at the lower hand on the staff and the arm rising up from there, but in general, a pretty nice print. Every other attempt since has failed; PLA, ABS, different scale. The staff is just too thin and too long for unsupported printing. And supports do not recognize this staff as needing support.

    Today I went and put Rei in a pool of "red boiling sea" as an excuse to shorten the model so I could get a better scale on things and a more stable base.

    03252019_fullprint.PNG

    I'll make some notes on the print's details...

    The overhangs were obviously unsupported. Not bad on the main body. The staff had no support, so it went south where I expected.

    03252019_close1.PNG

    Things to note; The red bleed on the left thigh; This model has 3 skin layers and cross infill at 200um layer thickness.

    This is an obvious mess... again, expected.

    03252019_fork.PNG

    Now here is a great example of what works and what doesn't. The staff did very well for a long way.
    This last bit was just too loose to build on.
    But look at that left arm as an overhang! For some odd reason, CubePro excels on some of these.

    03252019_works.PNG

    Although I have some reservations on parts which are merged in the CubePro slicer, this really did make for a stable print.

    03252019_base.PNG

    How's this for ABS adhesion!

    03252019_glue.PNG

    I did learn one thing about this LokBuild... I think it is coated with some kind of wax that washes away at some point.
    I had a real hard time getting the cube glue slurry to stay on the Lokbuild. Once the glue attaches to the Lokbuild, it will prefer the Lokbuild over sticking to the part. This plate will take a while to break in. Next time I know to wash and scrub first! In this case, the lack of adhesion probably helped remove the print. There was not even a single uplift or crack to even start the peel process! Definitely something to be said for flexible build plates. This probably took me 5 minutes to remove without tearing it to pieces.

    03252019_glue2.PNG

    One thing that is nice about the smaller extruder size is that the "turds" are thinner.
    They trim off nicely with a good sharp hobby knife.

    03252019_backside.PNG

    03252019_sideside.PNG

    Post cleanup..

    03252019_post.PNG

    Please share your CubePro build experiences.
    Last edited by TommyDee; 03-26-2019 at 06:54 AM.

  2. Thanks bolsoncerrado thanked for this post
  3. #2
    Administrator bolsoncerrado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3,216
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice, so it was a "breakaway" brim you used there?

  4. #3
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    2,070
    Post Thanks / Like
    That brim is the standard sidewalk with serrations, yes.

    - - - - - - - - - -

    A little dragon from Thingiverse... printed at 120% facing forward.

    3 skins at 200um with old ABS filament ('13!). No sidewalks needed if your bed sticks ABS well.

    Draggy.PNG

  5. #4
    Administrator bolsoncerrado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3,216
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice!

  6. #5
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    2,070
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm finding that 3 skins manages to hide a lot of artifacts. The two notable stripes on the chest are part of the original model.

    - - - - - - - - - -


    Fish Fossilz is one of my favorite pastime prints. Always got interesting artifacts built into the eye-holes.

    This one is on CubePro converted to dual color in MeshMixer by separating shells <edit>.

    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1276095

    Although the print has excess layer artifacts, the overall print is is quite accurate. Articulated freely right off the plate; very well detailed.
    Settings were Standard ABS with no sidewalk but fine details checked in advanced settings.

    Yes, ABS on Lokbuild with film-coat of CubeGlue <specifically> I got a very slight lift on the lower chin of the fish. That gave me access to remove the rest.
    You'll see a small dot of glue on the tail-fin that came up. That location needs the glue worked in a little. I should have removed the wax -before- adding all the glue!

    f3.PNGf5.PNGf1.PNGf2.PNGf4.PNG
    <...that belated elephant foot is a CubePro slicer mystery. We'll call it 3rd layer syndrome. >
    Last edited by TommyDee; 04-30-2019 at 01:29 AM.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •