Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Help on pause to change filament,

Hello,
    I recently purchased a 10s Pro and have been enjoying using it (after a minor hiccup at start)
    I am trying to double color prints.
    I am using Cura 4's post editing script. I tried the change at height/layer.
    What happens is when the print reaches the layer I have designated (or height) it resets the print time on the display and moves the printer head slightly to the side then immediately without stopping return back and continues to print.

I have tried using the change filament post edit script.
    I have also tried using the Pursa website gcode edit that supposedly adds pauses.

All the videos and guide I have got my hands on make it seem to work so easy but I just can't seem to make it happen.
    I have updated the firmware for both the screen and board using the official release from Creality web site.
    I have seen suggestion to use the Tiny machines update but have been reluctant to try 3rd party update.

Can you please help me.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum, ZippyStar. Have you asked the Cura user group? They seem to be up on these things.

I watched a recent 3D Printing Nerd video on changing filament... and he reviews this process and reveals the G-Code command that Cura uses to halt a print.
    If I find it again, I will post it up here.

Please confirm, you have one extruder and you are doing a manual filament change but the machine won't stay paused... right?

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,
    I have posted on the Cura forums as well. But no replies there so far. I also e-mailed Creality support as well.

Also yes, the Creality CR-10S Pro has one extruder and I am trying pause the print at a specific layer or height to manual change the filament.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely hit YouTube up. There are several videos on the subject.

I found this one this morning... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG2adhJgkgI&t=75s

Not finding the previous reference... too many youtube videos in history.
    You might also hit up Maker's Muse.

This is more a slicer question aside from knowing if the CR10 supports those particular codes.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    This one of the first videos that I watched. I have watched more than a dozen now.
    I am doing almost exactly as I see. My parameters are different.

I am starting to think that the CR10 just doesn't work correcty with those gcode additions.
    Dunno if changing to Tiny Machines firmware will help...

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh that is way over my pay grade The machine's F/W does have to support the code. Creality may be able to answer that directly.

Silly question though... can you pause a print and resume? I've used that trick to change filament... but not slicer changes... however, the changes can be there when the print resumes.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    The I can freely pause the printer from the button on the touch screen.
    I will try loading the gcode through the OctoPi and see what happens.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think I am getting payback... I'm having similar trouble getting a straight story on Arduino NANO pinout...
    Not specifically for a current conundrum, but for references. 1st pinout diagram is woefully inaccurate (they swapped MISO AND MOSI!) and another displays a link to a dangerous website. Why can't people check their work! Sorry... off the soapbox.

I only know the surface of Cura and I have no experience with the common hardware platform to know what all the tricks are. I try to find solutions within the framework I understand. Good luck ZippyStar. There has to be some kind of code solution with the popularity of the Creality printers.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had a small success. So far I was using the printer's own interface to start the prints (was easier for my tests)
    I switching to loading the gcodes though OctoPi and managed to pause it correctly.
    Sadly after the resume the leveling was all wrong and it seems like the print started all over again. But I think the leveling had changed for some reason.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even small successes are a glimmer of hope I don't know what OctuPi is but I suspect it is Raspberry Pi interface (?) If that is the case, then you know which Gcodes the printer's F/W accepts.

As to the continuation of the print, something must be resetting the environment. That could in the way the print is halted or resumed.

If you're like me, I know you'll get to the bottom of it. I tend to read code line by line to understand what it is actually doing. Isn't this a simple wait for input to resume? The fact that you are changing layer thickness after the resumption should have little to do with the F/W in that the slicer manages that with changing the feed and speed ratio to make up for more or less thickness.

Can you post the gcode for region where the pause happens?