Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Identify the cause of this artifact.

Hi all, recently got a cr10s and overall the prints are nice but I can't seem to get rid of this artifact. Print is 8cm tall and used these settings:
    0.4mm nozzle
    60mm/s print speed
    0.15mm layer height
    210C temp
    60C bed
    Retraction enabled
    image1.JPGimage2.JPG
    Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum, Tfactor.

Up the temp to 215C and slow the printer to 40mm/sec.
    Slowing prints is the basic rule for better quality.
    Does it need a little less extrusion? You might be dragging some excess material around to cause the general blobbiness.
    If some structure is bleeding through to the surface from inner layers, you could try an additional layer.

How is the hardware? Will it build a simple cube without artifacts?

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Tfactor.

How is the hardware? Will it build a simple cube without artifacts?
    Hi! Thanks for your reply! I've tried those settings and there was a little bit of improvement but the cape stayed about the same.
    Not sure what your question is about the hardware. I've reveled the bed but my glass is lower in the middle, which is a common issue with these big beds. I've compensate for it by putting paper between the glass and the bed. Everything seems to work normal to my knowledge.

Ok I will try to print a simple cube, is there a generic cube most people print to diagnose issues?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah maybe it's misscalibrated and overextruding...
    https://www.google.es/search?q=calib...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was considering how well the nozzle puts down plastic. If plastic starts bunching up around where the plastic comes out, it is simply depositing remnants around your print that tend to make little blobbules.
    Other hardware issues come to mind when the carriages have restrictions. Moving the print to another part of the bed would show very different results if this was the case.

One other possibility on the cape; How resilient is the support used for the cape? Does it move when printing?

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I've printed 2x20mm cubes, one of them was in the middle of the build plate the other in the bottom right corner. There are some visual flaws with them so let me know what you guys think!
    cubeBoth.JPGCubeBotTop.JPGcubeMid.JPGcubeMidTop.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    How curious, either you're using very few top layers or it's underextruding on those cubes! :???

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does the CR10 have automatic bed leveling tech or is that a seam on the right side of the cube?

A little more extrusion on the top and bottom fill might be called for.
    The walls look a lot better than the character.
    So something is causing the blobs other than direct machine characteristics.
    That could only mean that material is being picked up and deposited when printing the character to cause the blobs.
    Could it be over-extruding the fill within the character that is being redeposited on the next outside layer?

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does the CR10 have automatic bed leveling tech or is that a seam on the right side of the cube?
    There is no auto leveling with this machine. Are you talking about that line running vertical up the side of the cube? If yes, that's an indentation at where the infill meets the wall... only happened on 2 of the 4 walls so it might be from how the fan blows on the piece?

A little more extrusion on the top and bottom fill might be called for.
    Could it be over-extruding the fill within the character that is being redeposited on the next outside layer?
    Is that something you can set in the slicer? Can it under extrude and over extrude all at the same time? I will check for proper extrusion rate next and reprint.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am making the assumption that you can manage the extrusion rate for various extrusion types. CR10 uses Cura or Slicer as a core slicer? Basically, there should be a setting for brims, walls, top and bottom layer, and infill. Each of these also have a velocity setting which balances out the amount of plastic for each different operation. Most slicers will simplify this by allowing you to adjust an extrusion percentage to make the adjustments simpler. But yes, bottom line, you should be able to address different extrusion types by dialing them in individually.

And yes, that seam looks a lot like what auto-leveling does. But since it has an explanation, then so be it. One trick that my printers use in a canned configuration is to offset the infill from the wall. That may be a good place to go next. I know Cura has this option, but not sure about Slicer.